RTV vs Silicone sealant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

I will be installing a screen house on my TT.  The tech mentioned using RTV to seal all the screw holes.  What is the difference between RTV and regular silicone sealant?  I thought RTV was a brand name.  The only place I've seen RTV was in a camper catalog.  Is it that special?

Thanks in advance.

RTV = room temperature vulcanizing

Same thing as silicone.

But, vulkem and other polyurethane sealants have better adhesion and last longer.

RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) Silicone begins to cure upon being exposed to air (specifically the moisture in the air) and is, supposedly impervious to certain chemicals (fuels and solvents).  Most silicons you buy begin to cure upon application, some take longer than others.

When they say that RTV silicone is impervious to Diesel they mean only after it has fully cured.  Diesel will dissolve The RTV Silicone before it cures as I found out trying to stop a leak in my Diesel tank.  Diesel will also dissolve Epoxies. Am now in the process of getting the Tank welded 9defective weld on the Drain Plug housing.

There are several different RTV silicones as well, designated by different colors. You can find most of them in any auto parts store.

RTV works on screw holes, but so do most others brands of silicone. I'd use whatever was handy.

Back
Top Bottom