Full timing while in college questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pyroknoppix

Hello, I just joined and I had some questions regarding full timing.

I'm Active Duty Army right now currently deployed to Afghanistan. Since the post 9/11 GI Bill I've had a lot more options as far as college goes. I initially joined for college money do to coming from a low income family and not wanting to have too many student loans after college.
I was bored on my day off and came across an article on the web about a lot of people losing their jobs or just having a hard time financially moving into RV's (Not that that's the case for most full timers). It got me thinking about when I get out of service in about a year and a half after this deployment. I know which college I'd like to go to, and my rent being covered with the new GI Bill my financial state is something I'm not really concerned about. However I love my wife and I don't want her working at low income jobs her whole life. So I started crunching numbers to figure out how much it would take to put us both through college. Most of my college expenses are paid for, so I'm just mostly crunching to put one person through. Every penny I can squeeze helps. So the article got me thinking about full timing, and if it would really be saving money vs. renting an apt.

A factor I have to share before I go any further is I plan on going to college in Missoula Montana, which is known to get -10/20 in the winters. I've known a few of full timers in the past living in nice 5th wheels straight through winter in MT and they didn't seem to having any problems. Their place was always warm and felt like home even with 3 feet of fresh snow melting off their roof heh. So I know winter full timing in moderate to extreme climates is viable, but I'm pretty sure they had an Arctic insulation package in their RV's (forget the makers of the rv's) I've been reading some winterizing techniques (heat tape, blankets over windows, space heaters, etc.) but in todays high cost of electricity how much would I be looking to spend on heating during the cold months?

Finding an inexpensive campground or park open year around would also be a factor. I want to be semi close to the campus so I don't have to spend too much $ on gas driving to and from. I might be able to find someone willing to let us put our trailer/5th on their property for cheap rent. I'm not too sure about hookups and how easy it would be to run electric, water, etc. to a permanent trailer.

I want something at least 32', I've found some good deals on trailers/5ths for 12-15k ranging from 32' 40' all over the web. I can live with being cramped heck I'm used to living out of my rucksack lol. It's my wife I'm concerned about. The 12-15k is kinda my price range. I want to be able to have it completely paid off before my contract runs out so I'm able to just pay the lot rent and nothing else to worry about. So I'm probably going to have to buy something at least a decade or two old. So with age on everything comes repairs. While on the buyers market is there anything major flaws I should keep an eye out for? I don't want to purchase a lemon and find myself living in a money pit.

I don't have kids, just a German Shepherd and a parrot. The German Shepherd I'm sure would do fine in the RV. For a long time we lived in a 3rd story apartment with her, no back yard and a small dog park. I'd socialize her with other dogs in the park, but her exercise and mine came from my daily 4 mile runs. The parrot cage is about the size of a small chest of drawers, so the dining table in whatever we get would probably have to go. No big deal I guess.

I really don't plan on traveling in it! At least not while in college.

So does my idea sound insane? lol.

First off, thank you for your service.  Now, as to living ft in a 5th while attending college.  Might be a good idea in warmer areas of the country, but in Missoula, it might be beyond the scope.  Not many 5th wheels were built for year round living that far north, consider campus housing.  Or a college in a warmer climate.  There are a lot of issues to consider, and temps are just the beginning.

Have you checked to see if there are any CG's even open year round in Missoula that would accept a ft trailer? 

I don't think your plan is feasible at all. First off if you take a 5er and seal up the inside so that you could stay warm you will be living in a very unhealthy environment. Especially with a dog and parrot. No air circulation is not healthy. As Bill pointed out Montana is not the place to be in winter in a 5er. Running electricity and water might not be a problem, but running a sewer line could be very expensive. Maintenance of a 5er can be a bit expensive. I just don't see where this would be any cheaper than renting an apartment. I think it would be cheaper, easier and healthier living in an apartment. As Bill said, there are a lot of issues to consider and in the long run it could cost you a lot more than living in an apartment.

5ers were not designed to be lived in. They were designed to be towed, so therefore they are extremely light weight, meaning very little insulation. Between purchasing the 5er, winterizing it, running water, electricity, sewer, phone and tv lines I don't see where you would be any cheaper to live that way. There are many great reasons to be an RVer but saving money is most definitely not one of them.

I think it is doable, but not easy. Fortunately, electric power is typically cheap in that region, due to the the nearby hydroelectric dams on the Columbia and other major rivers.

A better quality trailer 95W or TT) can be kept warm, though at significant energy expense, especially if a blanket of snow builds up around the sides and roof. Marvelous insulator, is snow. Fall and spring, though, can be real cold before the deep snow arrives.

You need a sewer hook-up and that is not an easy install in a friend's yard unless there happens to be a sewer line already within easy reach. And local ordinances tend to frown on a permanent RV outside of a campground, at least within the city limits.

You need to do a lot of research on places to keep an RV and some shopping for a good quality unit in your price range. And make sure the rose-colored glasses are left behind when doing so.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!  Also, I applaud the vision you've created for both you and your wife and the obvious thought you've put into it.

I wish I had reason to offer you more optomisim than the above responses but I'm afraid I don't.  Like Tom said, I can't see this being much cheaper than renting an apartment and you'd have your hands full in that climate trying to keep a 5er liveable.

Best of luck to you both.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom