Update on my Winegard Carryout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

82corvette

We were only out once with the old trailer using the automatic Carryout and had a couple issues with voltage. It wasn't a big deal but if my battery voltage dropped below 12.5 volts it would lose the reception. I did some research but didn't find any answers so I read the manual. The manual advised it required 13 to 15 volts!  I put in a 13.5 volt 7 amp power supply my dad had for one of his ham radios years ago. There was a space in the entertainment center to mount it so I wired up the cables to a retractable reel in the bottom cabinet and replaced the cable connection on the outside of the trailer with another electrical cable hatch. This is so handy, I wish would have had an automatic satellite antenna years ago. The Carryout cable locked to the picnic table all weekend helped us meet a lot of new people. Curiosity is a good thing! 8)

Similar problem with with my KVH dome satellite.  It won't auto seek the satellite unless it has about 13.0v. Fine on shore power with the charger pumping out 13.3+v,  but if boondocking the battery voltage alone wasn't enough. I ended up installing a power supply like you did to assure it always has the voltage it likes. What a dumb design for a product designed for RVs and boats!!

82corvette said:
... This is so handy, I wish would have had an automatic satellite antenna years ago....

Good to hear!
this is the one we are thinking of getting (as it seems to make the most sense!)
thanks for posting

regards, pdq
(peter)

Back
Top Bottom