Bootable CD/DVD disks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okotoks Camper

Is there such a thing?

As mentioned previously in another thread, I recently bought a new HP Laptop. Finally got the bugs out regarding security (at least I hope so!) and now am wondering about an emergency boot disk. This laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but does burn CDs/DVDs.

I have Nero 6, but haven't found anything in there yet.

Thanks in advance for thoughts, ideas, solutions, etc.

John B.

I found some info on the Internet and some in Nero site. I'm still not clear about the issue, but have some places to research.

I know I should have done this before I posted the question, but perhaps someone else will benefit from any discussion arising.

Here are the links I found, both related to Nero 6:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297
http://www.nero.com/nero6/enu/User_Guides_Burning_ROM_6.html (Open the user guide and search for "boot"). Warning, the user guide is 139 pages.

If you search on Google for "bootable CD", you'll find other references as well.

John B.

You certainly can make bootable CDs and DVDs but there is a bit of effort involved.? There are several good sources of information on the internet as you have found describing the procedure.? Once you've done it, it's really quite easy.? Nero can handle it as can many other CD burning programs.

If your purpose is to create a CD that can help you in the event of a drive problem that prevents booting, lookup BartPE (Google will get you there) for a nice bootable CD with a set of recovery tools.  If you are concerned about a broken Windows intallation, you can always boot the Windows CD into the recover console, or you can install the recovery console to the hard drive and boot to it.  Be warned, the recovery console is not easy to use.

calgary camper said:
I have Nero 6, but haven't found anything in there yet.

Thanks in advance for thoughts, ideas, solutions, etc.

Nero does indeed offer you the option of making a bootable CD, check the Data disk creation options.

Also, you might wish to consider a program such as Acronis True Image.. With True Image (Which I use) I have an emergency boot disc, I have an emergency boot program on the hard drive and I have a recent image of the hard drive also stored on it, as well as a slightly older image stored on an external HD

Net result... Worst case (and I've had two different types of worst case) I can restore the disc to what it was last week

Back
Top Bottom