Navistar warns Ohio it may move production out of Springfield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom N said:
A three-year deal covering the United Auto Workers across six facilities, including the one in Springfield, comes to an end Oct. 1. Negotiations are expected to start at the end of this month.
Now wait a minute - I'm not a particular fan of some unions, but for Navistar to make these kinds of statements before negotiations even begin, sounds like they are just paving the way to move to Mexico.  I don't own a Navistar unit and probably never will, but I wonder how many potential buyers will love their Navistar - made in Mexico.

it's a global economy today.  It doesn't matter where products are made.  People buy where they get the best price and quality.  And that can be obtained with Mexican manufactured products too. 

Part of the problem is that the law in many states requires companies that "might" make significant layoffs in the near future to make a public notice before they can actually make the move. So if Navistar decides that it plans to relocate its production facilities and lay off the employees at that plant, it has to make the announcement a month or 3 in advance. That is probably the main reason for the announcement.

Navistar now owns Monaco.  What does the Springfield plant manufacture?  Maybe they want to move to Oregon.

ArdraF

I understand the global economy.  If fact, I used to work in a Mexican television plant and a Taiwan computer monitor plant many years ago.  The point I was trying to make, obviously not well, is that Navistar seems intent on moving.  In typical labor negotiations a few months of negotiating would not be unheard of.  For Navistar to make such a statement this early would imply to me that Navistar is gone unless they get some drastic concessions.  But, who knows what rumors are flying or what threats the union has make going into this?  Navistar may just be trying to scare off a strike.

molaker said:
I understand the global economy.  If fact, I used to work in a Mexican television plant and a Taiwan computer monitor plant many years ago.  The point I was trying to make, obviously not well, is that Navistar seems intent on moving.  In typical labor negotiations a few months of negotiating would not be unheard of.  For Navistar to make such a statement this early would imply to me that Navistar is gone unless they get some drastic concessions.  But, who knows what rumors are flying or what threats the union has make going into this?  Navistar may just be trying to scare off a strike.

Just another sign of the horrible economic time we live in that started about 40 years ago.  Looks the USA is well on the way to becoming a third world country.

Paul

Navistar owns a lot of companies, including both Workhorse Custom Chassis and Monaco. As far as I know, neither Monaco or WCC had plants in Ohio, so its probably one of Navistar's truck or engine plants, e.g. International, ICBus, Amtran (school busses), etc.  It's a very large company.

As Bernie says, the law now requires advance notification of plant closings (90 days in most cases), so if the contract expires 10/1 and they don't continue operations, they are already within 50 days.  The warning is clear - the plant will not operate without a contract. Playing hardball in the negotiations, I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom