Discount Tires on 8th Street in Colorado Sprgs CO will not install LT Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
longhaul said:
    Lots of trucks and trailers on the road (including some of mine) have no tire placard which is just a recommendation anyways. It carries no enforceable regulatory requirements for owners looking for a good or better tire to replace the junk the vehicle mfg has chosen.

That's really not true. Just about all tire industry standards are durived from regulatory authotity. The precident a trooper will use if you're so unfortunate to be inspected by one is CFR 570.62.

If you dont want to look it up, here is an excerpt that applies......"A mismatch in size and construction between tires on the same axle, or a major deviation from the size recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer, is a cause for rejection." (In that context, size is short for size designation. They don't like repeating themselves and have already used the complete term, size designation).

NOTE: Are your trucks commercially registered? If so ther tire regulations are not applicable with FMVSS standards. However, the heading for CFR 570 is, Vehicle in use safety standards.

I don't believe anyone could argue that load capacity must be equal to or greater than the manufacturers recommendation. Likewise tire rype, st vs. lt for example,  can quickly get you into fuzzy areas. But, I have to question whether size is really germane. In particular, I question requiring 80% sidewalls as commonly provided by Michelin. So long as the load capacity is adequate, and the tire clears properly, 70% series tires should be perfectly adequate although they might affect the odometer (not a safety consideration in my opinion).

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I don't believe anyone could argue that load capacity must be equal to or greater than the manufacturers recommendation. Likewise tire rype, st vs. lt for example,  can quickly get you into fuzzy areas. But, I have to question whether size is really germane. In particular, I question requiring 80% sidewalls as commonly provided by Michelin. So long as the load capacity is adequate, and the tire clears properly, 70% series tires should be perfectly adequate although they might affect the odometer (not a safety consideration in my opinion).

Ernie

You have entered into the automotive tire area. In that area there are well established standards for seeking replacement tires. In the RV trailer industry the only recommendation for replacement tires is to seek approval from the manufacturer of your trailer. Hardly anyone ever does that because they don't like the "canned" answers they get from those manufacturers.

Here is Michelin's  answer. Search around and you'll find very similar responses from all major tire manufacturers.

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4

It appears tire stores have fallen into the same fear of lawsuits is that killing the services industry everywhere.

Many tire stores won't fix a flat anymore....because of the possible liability of a tire repair they will only put a brand new tire on.

Ten years ago I lived in WA state and the Port Townsend Les Schwab tire store would not install a new pair of tires on the front axle of my front wheel drive car.  If I only bought two tires they had to be mounted on the rear. 

Someone sued them after they installed two new tires on the front of a car, claiming the older tires on the rear made the car lose traction and oversteer, causing an accident.  They'd rather have the worst tires on the front wheels so the car would understeer and plow off the road nose first.

The front tires tires on my Nissan Sentra lasted the length of their treadwear warranty while the rear tires would last at least twice as long, so every other time I'd only have to buy two new front tires.  When I told Les Schwab they'd lose the sale if they insisted that I needed to buy four tires and throw away the rear pair with over 50% tread remaining on them, they told me they could replace just the worn out front tires if they also did a "free" front to back rotation so the new tires were on the rear when I left the store.

If I drove around the block and came back in, they'd do another "free" tire rotation to put the new tires on the front.

That's really not true. Just about all tire industry standards are durived from regulatory authotity. The precident a trooper will use if you're so unfortunate to be inspected by one is CFR 570.62.
  LOL.....your clueless.
its evident you have never been through a dot safety inspection. I have many times. Trooper do not do safety inspection. State hires qualified tech to do inspection if your pulled off the road at a scale house. A LEO will look at the tires load rating off the tires sidewall. He may also look at the vehicle cert placard for axle sizes. If there is non then he may go under the trailer and look at the axle tag.

Secondly 570 says;
** This part does not in itself impose requirements on any person. It is intended to be implemented by States through the highway safety program standards issued under the Highway Safety Act (23 U.S.C. 402) with respect to inspection of motor vehicles with gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 pounds, except mobile structure trailers.***

NOTE: Are your trucks commercially registered? If so ther tire regulations are not applicable with FMVSS standards. However, the heading for CFR 570 is, Vehicle in use safety standards.
  Another clueless statement.  It doesn't make any difference if the vehicle is commercially registered or not. 
You know before you post your opinions you really should do some research on what dot does and doesn't do when it comes to tire replacement or tires on the vehicle .
Your opinions on tire replacement are your own. Those long winded official sounding post your making  don't fool many people.

Since the Ford-Firestone tire debacle and, in the RV world, the Country_Coach-Toyo tire fiasco, tire manufacturers have uniformly  stipulated that it is the vehicle makers responsibility to specify the suitable tire size.  Both developed into huge liability lawsuits but neither were the actual fault of the tire maker.  Now, no tire maker nor tire dealer will say or do anything that smacks of accepting any responsibility for tire choice. This is strictly an anti-lawsuit measure and has nothing to do with tire safety or federal DOT regs.

Toyo, who eventually prevailed in the liability suit against them, actually refused to specify any tire as suitable for use on an RV and advised all of their dealers to refuse any sale/installation on an RV.  They maintained that policy for years, even after winning the lawsuit.

longhaul said:
  LOL.....your clueless.
its evident you have never been through a dot safety inspection. I have many times. Trooper do not do safety inspection. State hires qualified tech to do inspection if your pulled off the road at a scale house. A LEO will look at the tires load rating off the tires sidewall. He may also look at the vehicle cert placard for axle sizes. If there is non then he may go under the trailer and look at the axle tag.

The CFR sets a precedent.
I know for a fact that troopers in CA & SC carry individual wheel position scales. I've personally seen both in action.

Secondly 570 says;
** This part does not in itself impose requirements on any person. It is intended to be implemented by States through the highway safety program standards issued under the Highway Safety Act (23 U.S.C. 402) with respect to inspection of motor vehicles with gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 pounds, except mobile structure trailers.*** Yup, and 570.9 is for cars.  Another precedent.

Again the CFR sets a precedent. 

Another clueless statement.  It doesn't make any difference if the vehicle is commercially registered or not. 
You know before you post your opinions you really should do some research on what dot does and doesn't do when it comes to tire replacement or tires on the vehicle .
Your opinions on tire replacement are your own. No, they come from the governing body and tire industry standards.

Those long winded official sounding post your making  don't fool many people. 

I'm surprised you know nothing about FMCSA. Also that you don't recognize the governing bodies tire regulations and the tire industry standards as guidelines for safety. You're right on one count. It's your vehicle and you can maintain it in whatever safety regiment fits your personal safety view, however warped. 

Regulations & standards for users are sort of like posted speed limits. Do or don't, it's up to you. However, it doesn't negate the fact that they exist.

An example could be; USTMA says to NEVER use less tire inflation pressure on your OE tires than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. I've never posted that without getting a negative response. I'm just telling it. Got a problem, take it to the tire industry, they made that bold statement and expect their chain of retailers to follow their lead. Hot shots hunting for lucrative litigations will use every precedent they can find. It's like money in the bank to them.

I'm surprised you know nothing about FMCSA. Also that you don't recognize the governing bodies tire regulations and the tire industry standards as guidelines for safety. You're right on one count. It's your vehicle and you can maintain it in whatever safety regiment fits your personal safety view, however warped. 
More mindless blather.
  Yes I know all about FMCSA regulations. I lived them for over 1.2 million miles on the road with a MC and then a dot number. I've been through dozens of scale houses and roadside level I-5 inspections.
As far as my views being warped .....my views were dictated by dot roadside enforcement regarding tire load ratings. DOT does not enforce anything on the tire placard period.

You really should better educate yourself on what FMCSA  regulations say about tires and how their enforced.

longhaul said:
More mindless blather.
  Yes I know all about FMCSA regulations. I lived them for over 1.2 million miles on the road with a MC and then a dot number. I've been through dozens of scale houses and roadside level I-5 inspections.
As far as my views being warped .....my views were dictated by dot roadside enforcement regarding tire load ratings. DOT does not enforce anything on the tire placard period.

You really should better educate yourself on what FMCSA  regulations say about tires and how their enforced.

You need to learn that when I quote from something, I've read the entire reference at least once.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.393#se49.5.393_11

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol5-sec396-11.xml

There are many more, right down to the tire, which MUST, by inflation pressure, have a load capacity equal to the load it is carrying.

FastEagle said:
You need to learn that when I quote from something, I've read the entire reference at least once.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.393#se49.5.393_11

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol5-sec396-11.xml

There are many more, right down to the tire, which MUST, by inflation pressure, have a load capacity equal to the load it is carrying.
  ???....my tire pressures are just fine  :eek:

what many people don't realize is, Laws are only as good as they are enforced.

Easy one time solution.  Take the wheels to shop A have the tires dismounted, pay the disposal fee to get rid of old tires.  Take the wheels to store B, buy 4 new tires of your choice, have them mounted and balanced.  Take them home and install on your trailer.  Sounfs like a pita, but one time and you now have LT tires on your trailer.  Next time no questions.

Back
Top Bottom