Trying to slowdown and keep busy at the same time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brujomar

SouthWest US or MX beach condo when not rv'in
Have been basically fulltiming now for almost a year and while I love the travel, people we meet, and yes, the 'free'  time etc., I also am having a bit of trouble 'slowing down' from my life of full time work as an educator and Type 'A' personality...always on the go.
When I am parked at one location for more than a few days, I have a tendency to get very antsy.....to do 'something'....
DW and I do hike a bit, have bikes to ride, sightsee in the area we're in and do those things that you would expect to do when in a new area etc.
But I have a hard time just doing 'nothing'......for more than say, one day. DW loves to just 'relax'. The thought of parking my 5er in an rv park for a month or even several months makes me uncomfortable, yet it seems that many of you on this forum as fulltimers, seem to do this just fine.
Perhaps it will take time....I definitely have considered camp hosting/volunteering etc to give me that 'something' to do at least several days per week. Full time work in an rv park, or such is not what I would do.
I am sure a 'shrink' could help me, but how about some 'free' suggestions/feedback/advice from you fulltimers out there.... how do you just slow down and 'stop and smell the roses' !

Great questions.  I've been retired for 5 years and full timing for 1 and I've made the transition.  I now find that it takes me all week to do the types of things which I used to get done in between teleconferences!  I suspect the transition was easier for me than for many, in part because I was SO ready to retire.

I'm guessing that if you're having trouble filling your time you haven't yet discovered golf?  ;D  That's one way snowbirds keep busy and socialize.

I'm not retired yet, nor a fulltimer.  However, when I do retire I plan to do some volunteer work to stay active and contribute to society.  There are lots of opportunities, the Red Cross, YMCA, local libraries often need volunteers, local schools, pet shelters, etc.
I'd suggest the kind of volunteer work where your particular skills can be of significant value, (or for that mater maybe a hobby that you love that can be of use in volunteer work.)

I so some volunteer work now when I can and it makes me feel more worthwhile and gives me a sense of accomplishment.  In today's economy many charitable organizations need all the help that they can get, since donations, grants and such are a bit scarce these days.

Volunteering is an excellent way to occupy your time.  There are a lot of opportunities, even in small towns.  My wife volunteers at various libraries when we're parked for a while.  Libraries are always happy to have volunteers to sort and shelve books, etc.  She even learned book repair at one library.

That's just one example, there are many others that will let you spend as much time as you want to being involved.

It often does take a long time to slow down, and some people never do. I've got a buddy who is always out and doing things and meeting people in campgrounds, helping them fix something or whatever, even though he has had multiple heart attacks.

We workamped for several years and really enjoyed it, both as  pastime and a way to reduce expenses. Then we retired from that too, as we had slowed down a bit ourselves. We often host a couple rallies each year too.  There are many volunteer opportunities, some camping or outdoor related (e.g. Forest Service helpers) and others in unrelated fields such as Habitat for Humanity, libraries, hospitals, or just general "do good'. I used to know a guy who just took a box of plastic bags in his truck and picked up trash along the roads for an hour or two each day. No boss, no official capacity - just a good citizen.

When in Yuma, at Betty and Terry's we met a couple who frequently volunteer at various Habitat for Humanities prejects.  There are several on the go across the country, and they chose which ones fit into their plans, and spend a month or so helping the less fortunate.
      My wife is heavily into genealogy, and she spends hours researching, sorting or computer inputting.  As for me, I spend a couple of hours reading several newspapers in the morning, swim a couple of hours, bike, and chat with other RVrs.
      We don't full time, but have spent in excess of 7 months in the RV each of the past 3 years.  We split our time at around 3 to 4 months at one location, then travel 2 to 3 months to see areas that we have yet to discover.  I keep telling everyone that we are still in vacation mode, but I don't see it ending soon.

Ed

Its almost funny,,when we are in our snowbird park, we rarely take the time to just relax,,there's always something going on, something to do, or somebody who wants to go somewhere.  For the 6 months we are there, it seems we are constantly busy.

In the summer, when we move every week or more often, that is the time where we seem to take more "days off" to just relax, and have to actually plan something to do or see.

Even though you have been full-time a year, it just sounds like you havent quite found your "preferred" definition of what full-timing is for you.  Your idea of volunteering might be the ticket,,but just keep experimenting,,sooner or later you will find your "sweet spot".

Back
Top Bottom