Transfer Switches - They're Nothing But Trouble Waiting to Happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsalhus

Just exactly how inconvenient is it to shut off the air conditioner(s) and other high-energy appliances in our RVs before shutting down the generator and hooking up to shore power?  Aren't we supposed to let the generator run a few minutes with everything throttled down before shutting it off?  And how hard is it to shut appliances down before disconnecting from shore power prior to starting up the generator?  Just how lazy and spoiled have we gotten?

It's my philosophy to never test the transfer switch to see if it works!  It's just not necessary.  To me, a transfer switch is like a fail safe device that is there to POSSIBLY protect me in case I or someone else FORGETS to disconnect shore power before starting the generator or FORGETS to shut off the generator before connecting to shore power.  Why take a chance of having a stuck or sticky relay in your transfer switch if you don't have to?  Actually, I like the idea of not having a transfer switch at all, you simply plug one cord into a receptacle for shore power and another cord into the same receptacle for hooking up the generator.  Now there's a transfer system that won't ever have stuck relays and is a lot cheaper too!

you simply plug one cord into a receptacle for shore power and another cord into the same receptacle for hooking up the generator.  Now there's a transfer system that won't ever have stuck relays and is a lot cheaper too!

Actually, you have one power cord that plugs into either the shore power or the generator.  Common on many class B/C motorhomes.

And that works well until the shore power goes out in a thunderstorm and you have to go out in the pouring rain to switch the power cord to the generator outlet :)

Well the way they are designed they just fail to transfer from one source to the other when they go bad. I guess they could short the circuits together if there was an extreme melt down and cause a big problem. But that can be said of hundreds of the systems that we use every day. I will continue to use transfer swithes but you do what makes you feel best.

wayne

I have seen one transfer switch that had two sets of relays,,,, IF one was slow to open, the other fast to close.. There was (And there was) a problem

Most of them use just one set of relays, They wither work or don't but cross connecting shore and generator is.. Well, it's never "IMPOSSIBLE" but the probability approaches zero.

I would be very very amazed if I live long enough to see it happen.. And that's assuming I live to be over 100.

And that works well until the shore power goes out in a thunderstorm and you have to go out in the pouring rain to switch the power cord to the generator outlet

And how often does that happen?  Once or twice in a lifetime?  Does that justify the expense of a transfer switch?  There are also a lot cheaper things like umbrellas and raincoats available to make that experience just a tad less unpleasant.  :p

Well the way they are designed they just fail to transfer from one source to the other when they go bad.

And you're left hanging without the use of one source or the other, right?  Not a good situation to be in.

I had a Class A coach with no transfer switch for 5 years.  I don't remember the times I manually plugged in the power cord, e.g. Walmart parking lots or wilderness state parks. As you say, no big deal.  However, I very clearly remember the times the shore power failed and I had to go outside at night, or in the rain  or whatever (that's when power fails, right?) to swap plugs. And then again to swap back.  And I remember driving down the road and it getting hot in the coach, so I wanted to run the house a/c. Gotta stop and plug in the genset, right.  After awhile, I got in the habit of always plugging into the generator when I unplugged from shore power. That way I was prepared for  the need, if it arose. That works if the outlet is in the shore cord compartment, but obviously a problem if it is not.

I'll take the ATS, thank you. It's a convenience to be sure, but a nice one.

That works if the outlet is in the shore cord compartment, but obviously a problem if it is not.

Aren't the outlets always in the shore cord compartment?  It sure would make the most sense to have it there.

I remember wondering why anyone would rent a golf cart for playing a round of golf. It just seemed ridiculously lazy to me at the time. 25 years later and I rarely walk a course. I think conveniences are much easier to understand once you have them for a while. It's nice to know what that female connection is for inside my power cord compartment. I'm working myself up to 'needing' a generator.

If you are worried about the "poor man's transfer switch" in the rain... and that's often when I need to fire the genny.

Run your shore power cord to an outlet INSIDE the coach.. Put the Autoformer and Power Guard there, and plug the Distribution panel into an outlet on the power guard with a short cord.. Put the Generator outlet next to the power guard outlet and .. Open the cabinet and Transfer.. INSIDE.

Side effect:  Power guard and/or auto former fails to grow legs since crook can not see it.

Aren't the outlets always in the shore cord compartment?

You haven't seen what passes for cord storage on some rigs. Assuming they have a permanently mounted cord and not the detachable type, that is. I've seen complaints that people can't get their hands in the cord storage area, or have trouble stuffing the cord in when its cold.  They aren't always nice roomy boxes with a big door.

It also depends on where the generator is mounted and how far from the shore cord. We are talking economy rather than convenience here, right? So running wire for an outlet somewhere else is for convenience, not basic function.

But yes, most often the outlet is near the power cord.

I've seen complaints that people can't get their hands in the cord storage area, or have trouble stuffing the cord in when its cold.

And having arthritis would make it even worse.  I saw a couple in a big motorhome at a Good Sam's Jamboree a few years ago who were both in wheelchairs.  I couldn't believe how brave they were and how nothing was going to stop them from going RVing.  I guess a transfer switch for them would almost be a necessity.  But in my case, if I had the choice, I think I'd rather put the money spent on a transfer switch somewhere else.  It's not that I don't enjoy convenience items as much as the next guy, but with all the seemingly inherent problems with transfer switches, I don't think they're worth it when (most of us) can easily do without them.  Just MHO.

rsalhus said:
And you're left hanging without the use of one source or the other, right?  Not a good situation to be in.

5 screws and I have which ever power source I want and I have enjoyed the convenience of the ATS for xx years and will again when the $70 part shows up in the mail and I wire it back in. $70 in fuel does not get me to my first, pull over and use the very convenient bathroom stop, which I bring with me you know for convenience. Come to think of it the whole motorhome is just a convenience. I could do everything I use it for without it but I would not have as much fun doing those things.

You are not going to be convinced I think. Your mind is made up, but what happened to make you hate auto transfer switches? Oh and for what its worth as far as I am concerned if you don't like them don't use them its your RV do as you want.

There have been a few transfer switch stories here recently, but all in all they seem pretty reliable. I've never had one fail, but that's only 5 years with one vs 15 without.

I did have a power line monitor fail, though. It gave an "open ground" error whenever it got hot and shut down the power to the rig.  And an air conditioner quit on me two weeks ago, like a raft of others we've heard about recently. Maybe I ought to eliminate that too?  Maybe an Amish RV would appeal to some, but not to me.  ;)

We're currently staying with family and having to make do with a 20 amp shore hook up and it sure is nice to be able to fire up the generator for a couple of hours in the afternoon to run the 2nd a/c and for DW to do her cooking.  And I'm glad I don't have to go outside twice to do it so I'll keep mine.  8)

I installed an aftermarket inverter in my motorhome and used a transfer switch in conjunction with 2 that came with the coach to wire it in so that it would not try to run the converter and would not be damaged if we left it on and started the gen or plugged in to shore power. That was 7 years ago and I had to replace it last summer. I replaced it with the same type that were in the coach since that seem to work just fine. The ATS gave me lots of warning and was still working when I replaced it but it would take 3 to 4 minutes to switch power.

Like you Gary I will take advantage of all the modern technology I can and be prepared to repair it if it needed. But to each his own which makes things interesting. ;)

Wayne

You are not going to be convinced I think. Your mind is made up, but what happened to make you hate auto transfer switches? Oh and for what its worth as far as I am concerned if you don't like them don't use them its your RV do as you want.

I don't hate transfer switches.  I just think the risk of using them is not worth the reward of not using them.  It seems that whenever there is an electrical problem which involves shore power and the generator, the transfer switch always is suspect.  So if you eliminate the transfer switch from the equation, then diagnosis of the electrical problem becomes that much easier.  That's it in a nutshell. 

And when running the generator with both air conditioners going, I really don't mind the inconvenience of shutting down the air conditioners, letting the generator run for a few minutes with very little load before shutting it down and going outside to hook up to shore power before restarting an air conditioner again using shore power.  Or disconnecting shore power before starting the generator.  It's no big deal to me and the reward is that I never have a problem with my transfer switch. 

If convenience is so important to you, bring a treadmill along with you in your RV.  That way you won't have to go outside to get some exercise.  You can stay inside and just hit different buttons.  Would that be convenient enough for you?

rsalhus said:
If convenience is so important to you, bring a treadmill along with you in your RV.  That way you won't have to go outside to get some exercise.  You can stay inside and just hit different buttons.  Would that be convenient enough for you?

Wanna race ;D

rsalhus said:
I don't hate transfer switches.  I just think the risk of using them is not worth the reward of not using them. 

What risk?  The only risk I know of with a GOOD transfer switch (See my earlier posts on 2 kinds) is that they will size up or fail to transfer.. And if that happens you can easily bypass it for the duration.  (OK I can easily...)

I do admit with the "Two sets of relays one for shore one for generator" kind you can get in trouble, but not with the kind I have (one set SPDT)

Back
Top Bottom