Covers for Motorhome Windshields

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WTD

Am interested in getting covers for the front windshield for our class A motor home. Would like to protect from UV rays, but would like to see out.  Have seen several ads in Family Motorcoach Magazine. Does anyone have experience with these covers and which attachment method is preferred, snaps. suction cups? Also does the black material cause the interior of the coach to be hotter than the lighter colors?

Thanks for any info on these products.

WTD

WTD,

Welcome to the RV Forum!  Glad you joined us.

My preference is for stainless steel components, which provide a positive attachment.  The choices are snaps or thumb turns or if one chooses to make the cover themselves another choice is a bungee cord combined with stainless steel marine fasteners, with grommet rings in the vinyl cover.  I f you would like more info on the do it yourself option, let me know.

I feel suction cups would not withstand wind and UV drying from the sun. My impression is they would dry out and let go.  Is it possible the vendor providing the suction cup method does not actually install the cover on site, but rather makes it from an in-house template and sends it to you to install yourself? 

IMO windshield covers should be securely fastened using a system that allows you to keep the cover stretched tight.  Rubber suction cups might not allow for a tight fit.

These covers give your coach privacy during the day because you can't see in, however at night when it's brighter inside than outdoors, you can see in so you need to draw your curtains.

It's an accessory I would not be without, and my only experience is with a light colored cover which works fine.  Looking forward to hearing about how black covers affect temperature.

Hope you enjoy the RV Forum and that you'll make it a regular part of your online activities.

WTD,

We have front window covers/shaes like the ones you have been looking at.  Ours are dark brown and I really like them.  They give shade and privacy during the day.  They also cut down on the amount of sun coming in so the coach stayes cooler.  Like Steve said, they don't provide any privacy at night, so we still pull the curtains across.

I would not recommend the suctions cups, they will just come loose.  Ours are put on with grommets that have a turn button and fit very snug.  I think keeping them snug is very important, that way wind won't get underneath and you won't have rubbing on the paint or sides of the coach.  We also got them for our side windows by the passenger and driver's sides.  That way the entire front part of the coach is shaded. 

We ordered them from a company out here in So. California that makes them speciafically for your model of RV.  If you are interested I can get the 800 number for you.  You just call them up tell them the year and model of your coach and they will ship them to you.

Marsha~

durhamwt said:
Am interested in getting covers for the front windshield for our class A motor home. Would like to protect from UV rays, but would like to see out.  Have seen several ads in Family Motorcoach Magazine. Does anyone have experience with these covers and which attachment method is preferred, snaps. suction cups? Also does the black material cause the interior of the coach to be hotter than the lighter colors?

WTD

We have the white ones. Like Marsha we also got covers for the drivers side window, the door and passenger's side window. Ours uses snaps to hold them on. We got them at J & S Covers in Quartzsite, AZ. They came out to where we were parked and measured, we stopped by their shop three days later (that was our choice) and they installed them in about 20 minutes.

We have been very happy with them.

Hi We ordered our's from Sunpro Manufacturing in Yuma, AZ  www.sunpromfg.com  800-789-5588
A set for both front side windows & the Windsheild is $119.00 + $13.95 S&H
Here is info from their web site.
? 1000's of Patterns
? 10 Colors to Choose From
? You Can See Out, They Can't See In
? Protects Your RV From Damaging UV Sun Rays
? Four Diferent Attachment Methods Available
? Custom Made For Your RV
? Most Orders Ship In 3 Days
? 3 Year Warranty
I called them & asked about colors & they sent me samples of all the colors.
I am very happy with our's.

Mike

durhamwt said:
Am interested in getting covers for the front windshield for our class A motor home. Would like to protect from UV rays, but would like to see out.? Have seen several ads in Family Motorcoach Magazine. Does anyone have experience with these covers and which attachment method is preferred, snaps. suction cups? Also does the black material cause the interior of the coach to be hotter than the lighter colors?

WTD

WTD:

WE have had two sets for our past two m/hs. The first were fastened outside the m/h with thumb turns and worked very well. They were a darker gray that gives better viewing. How I hated getting the ladder out to put them up every time were we stopped for longer than a day in sunny weather! :mad: :mad:

Our current m/h has a set that is fastened to the inside of the windshield and side windows with suction cups. These work just as well keeping out the sun and heat but can be put up in about five minutes without ladders, poles, etc. They also do not get dirty or weatherbeaten. We ordered white to match the m/h and to keep heat from building up inside . (Not sure it would have but it was a consideration in choosing white.) The lighter colors are still easy to see out of during the day but are not quite as (porous?) as the darker colors.

The result is that we use the new ones twice as much as the first set because they are so easy to install.

Thanks to all who responded to my request. Sorry it took me so long to acknowledge them.  Seems like the holidays ate up a lot of my time. I purchased a beige set for the windshield and the drivers window. The ones I chose use a commercial suction cup on the passanger side and a strap and clip on the drivers window. So far I am very pleased with them. They provide all the features you guys mentioned, easy to see through, blocks the UV rays and heat from the coach, etc. They have thin aluminum strips sewed in the edges which keep them tight and flat when installed and the major advantage for me is I do not have to use a ladder to put them on.
Thanks again for all your help.

WTD :) :)

Great to hear you found what you need!  Hope you will make the RV Forum part of your regular online activites and become part of our online community.

We are in New York on Long Island and want windshield covers for our 2006 Fleetwood Storm, any suggestions.

Gary & Eileen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom