Converted Closet to Pantry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

migamag

I thought I'd share something I did in case anyone needs more pantry space.

My 5th wheel has plenty of storage space for clothes, but pantry space is limited. That being the case, I installed pantry shelves in a closet that's close to the kitchen. The first time out our cereal boxes fell from the shelf because the shelf isn't as deep as the closet, so I installed a shower curtain rod to keep things in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20100811_160838.jpg
    IMG_20100811_160838.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 146
What a great idea.  But, we wouldn't be able to give up any closet space.  Frequently we need to take along at least 2 seasons of clothing.  However, I will admit that DW does over pack!

Our first motorhome had a large clam shell on the roof which was great for other season clothing. 

I have a small pantry next to the fridge and seen a artical on how to put a pull out in it to be able to reach the back it looks great but I worry about looseing the space it would take to put in the slides.

mike eddleman said:
I have a small pantry next to the fridge and seen a artical on how to put a pull out in it to be able to reach the back it looks great but I worry about looseing the space it would take to put in the slides.

Mike, I've got the same setup, and the same concerns about lost space.  I've decided to just live with the current setup.  I've assigned the basement bay closest to the entry door for plastic bins containing pantry items.  That works for us.  lou

mike eddleman said:

Woodworking is a hobby and a few years ago i designed/built new cabinets for my home's kitchen. i have a small house, so i too was concerned about loosing space by building slide-outs. i decided to go with the slides and now i couldn't see life without them. the little bit of space i lost because of the slides is outweighed by the ease of getting to things at the back of the cabinets. of course, this compromise is only worth it if you have deep cabinets - i tend to forget what i have at the back of deep cabinets without slides.

migamag said:
the little bit of space i lost because of the slides is outweighed by the ease of getting to things at the back of the cabinets.

I understand your logic, and I can agree, however, I'm talking about a cabinet that is two feet deep and barely 8" wide.  The resulting slide out would be approx 5 to 6".  I have to dig for items now, but at least I have use of the full width of the cabinet.

I too, have slides in my lower cabinets in the stick house.  They are great...

When they were building our mh for us, we had the option of those slide outs in that narrow little pantry.  I did some measuring and found we'd lose and inch on either side.  We were fulltiming and every inch meant something for us.  So, we opted not to have them installed.  Instead, I sort of catagorize the items.  Tall light weight items on top shelf which has the height.  Canned goods on the middle two selves; and potato and onion bins (baskets one for each stacked atop each other).  There was even a little more height at the back for Fred to put in another small shelf to store the electric fry pan on it  The shelf is at the back wall, and the baskets up front by the door.

I also sort the canned goods so that soup cans and like stuff are all together on one shelf and veggies and other stuff on the other.  I do this right from the grocery bags, so it's not big thing.  I have also added those battery operated "moon" lights to the roof of each shelf, which helps to find stuff easier.  But remembering to turn them off again before closing the door is my REAL challenge.    ::)

Daisy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom