Almost to the point of getting medicare, question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

I know some of you are retired and have medicare.  What I'm curious about is how much is your supplement to medicare premiums.  Hubby thinks ours will run a thousand a month for both of us.  I know our part A will be over $100 a month each.  Anyone here know?  We aren't complaining, just wondering so we have a ballpark figure.  Also who is one of the better insurance companies for this?

If he would have to go on COBRA again I know they will make me go on medicare when I'm eligbile next March.  If not I can continue on his insurance till he retires.

We have a Medicare Advantage plan (a PPO in Texas) that handles all of our medical needs and deals with Medicare on our behalf.  That costs us about $38/month in addition to the approximately $96/month for part B.  We use Humana but you should get the book from Medicare (or use the web site) to search for plans available in your area.  It's complex and confusing, so be warned :)

Ned's right, Medicare Part B is approximately $96 per month. 

I use the Secure Horizons plan from United Healthcare and it costs an additional $20 per month.  Copay for my PCP is $15 and for others $30, lab work is $10 per.  Good rates on scripts too with the gap starting just above $2,700 (although some scripts are cheaper at WalMart than with the policy).  The policy also covers me when I'm traveling as long as the doctor's visit is needed and not just routine and I happen to be out of my home state.  Hospital stays would cost me $100 per day.

There are numerous different plans, e.g. Medicare Advantage or supplements, in which Medicare is primary and the other insurer secondary. And don't forget prescription drugs (Medicare D or a supplemental program).

Many Advantage programs are great for routine care but come up short on major medical. That's not a slam, but you need to think about what you want coverage for. I can tell you from experience that medical costs are staggering for a major illness, even with excellent insurance.

We pay about $200/month (besides Part B) for two people. That gives terrific drug coverage (which we need) and excellent major medical (which served us well over the last two years), but not so good on routine care that Medicare covers only to the 80% level.  I'm looking for a plan that balances routine and major medical better, yet still provides plenty of drug coverage, including non-generic.

By the way, new enrollees in Medicare pay more than $96 for Part B, as will everybody after 1/1/2011. If you join today,it's $110.50.

I also am on an advantage plan and like it,,,be aware that OBAMA wants to eliminate these plans and has said so, brace for the fight.>>>Dan :mad:

I think our first year after he retires the premiums for A will be horrendous.  They will base it on our previous years income.  I have an old friend that is up in arms because hers is so much, I told her its because she has such high retirement income and she does.  Then after that it should level off.

I had forgotten about the tons of plans.  Sue Anne is on medicare and medicaid and has drug coverage too.  But since she is mentally challenged and low income she pays nothing.  Thank goodness, we were paying a lot out of pocket for her till just a few months ago as very few if any doctors in our area would take mediciad.  And the ones that did I wouldn't take her too, I went to the med center in Houston for her major illnesses.  After I took SS 2 years after that she could get on medicare.  Even though she has been mentally challenged since birth she still had to have the 2 year waiting period.

Those plans sound less expensive then we thought.  And yes I do understand major illnesses will be expensive.  I had an emergency room visit for an allergic reaction a few years ago that was $10k.  But we have to pay for all the illegals we treat for free in this country and we are paying dearly.

We too have a Medicare Advantage Plan.  Ours is with Medica.  I forget what we paid last year per month, but it went to $0 per month this year after the $96 or so that everyone pays.  I figure we don't need a whole lot of coverage just yet and we can always change coverages once per year when and if we need to.

I don't think the premiums for Part A are based on one's prior year's income.  Most all of us (some exceptions I'm sure) pays the same ($96 or $110.50/month) for this part of Medicare.

There is no premium for Medicare Part A unless you do not qualify for Social Security (40 quarters of work credit). Part B has the same fixed premium for everybody.  Aprt D has fixed premiums too. Not sure what would vary by income.

Hers does, I did read something about that, need to look it up again.

But she is also a Canadian citizen with a green card, would that make a difference?  She has lived here for 40 or more I suppose.

It's Part B not A

2010 Part B Premium Amounts for Persons with Higher Income Levels

Published 10/15/2009 12:47 PM  |    Updated 10/19/2009 04:27 PM
2010 Part B Premium Amounts for Persons with Higher Income Levels
Most Medicare beneficiaries will continue to pay the same $96.40 Part B premium amount in 2010. Beneficiaries who currently have the Social Security Administration (SSA) withhold their Part B premium and have incomes of $85,000 or less ($170,000 or less for joint filers) will not have an increase in their Part B premium for 2010. For additional details, see our FAQ titled:  Will my Medicare Part B premiums increase in 2010?

For all others, the standard Medicare Part B monthly premium will be $110.50 in 2010, which is a 15% increase over the 2009 premium. The Medicare Part B premium is increasing in 2010 due to possible increases in Part B costs.  If your income is above $85,000 (single) or $170,000 (married couple), then your Medicare Part B premium may be higher than $110.50 per month.
Social Security will use the income reported two years ago on your IRS income tax return to determine your premium (if unavailable, SSA will use income from three years ago).  For example, the income reported on your 2008 tax return will be used to determine your monthly Part B premium in 2010. If your income has decreased since 2008, you can ask that the income from a more recent tax year be used to determine your premium, but you must meet certain criteria.

The chart below shows the Part B monthly premium amounts based on income. These amounts change each year. There may be a late-enrollment penalty.

Table 1: Part B Monthly Premium

Beneficiaries who file an individual tax return with income
  Beneficiaries who file a joint tax return with income

Your 2010 Part B Monthly Premium Is If Your Yearly Income Is

$96.40 if beneficiary has SSA withhold in 2009

$110.50 for all others
  $85,000 or less
$170,000 or less

$154.70

(increased by $44.20 due to IRMAA)
  $85,001-$107,000
$170,001-$214,000

$221.00

(increased by $110.50 due to IRMAA)
  $107,001-$160,000
$214,001-$320,000

$287.30

(increased by $176.80 due to IRMAA)
  $160,001-$214,000
$320,001-$428,000

$353.60

(increased by $243.10 due to IRMAA)
  Above $214,000
Above $428,000

Table 2: Part B Monthly Premium
Beneficiaries who are married, but file a separate tax return from their spouse and lived with his or her spouse at some time during the taxable year

Your 2010 Monthly Premium is Beneficiaries who are married but file a separate tax return from his or her spouse
$96.40 if beneficiary has SSA withhold in 2009

$110.50 for all others
  $85,000 or less

$287.30

(increased by $176.80 due to IRMAA)
  $85,001-$129,000

$353.60

(increased by $243.10 due to IRMAA)
Above $129,000

If you are having trouble paying your premiums, you should call your State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) office to see if you qualify for some help. Some states refer to the Medicaid office as the Public Aid office, the Public Assistance office, or the State Medical Assistance office.

INCOME RELATED MONTHLY ADJUSTMENT AMOUNT (IRMAA)

The Internal Revenue Service supplies your tax filing status, your adjusted gross income, and your tax-exempt interest income to the Social Security Administration to determine if you have an income related monthly adjustment amount (IRMAA). The Social Security Administration will add your adjusted gross income together with your tax-exempt interest income to get an amount called the modified adjusted gross income (MAGI).

The income-related monthly adjustment amount is effective from January 1 through December 31 each calendar year. The Social Security Administration will refigure your Medicare Part B premium amount again next year when the Internal Revenue Service updates the information.

Additional information about the Medicare premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance rates for 2010 is available in the October 16, 2009 Fact Sheet titled, "CMS Announces Medicare Premiums, Deductibles for 2010" on the www.cms.gov website.

I don't think we have to worry about that after we retire, but apparently that lady does.  I had not heard about it before until she was complaining about it.  I was just thinking we might the last year he works, we sure won't after that.  Guess we will find out.

I am a 60 yr old disabled Veteran, and I qualified for SSDI last year, which included Medicare Part A coverage at no charge and the option of "part B," at $96.00/month. I opted for Part B  only due to unknowns and the fact that the "opt-in" goes up 10% per year if one initially declines when elgible and then decides later on to sign up for it.

I know the basic premium has gone up to the $110.00 level but those already in at the $96.00 level are "grandfathered," due to the "Hold Harmless,' provision, which keeps the premium level the same in the event there is no increase in one's  SS payment due to no COLA, as was last year's case and most likely, this year as well.

I share this info only from my experiences; I believe I would be fine w/o it but there are always unknowns, and that's why I am spending $96.00/month that I have not nor may not ever use the benefit of.

Everything now regarding healthcare seems to be suspect, at best, "on the table'' for gov't review.

Good luck with your situation.

Back
Top Bottom