4th Annual New Year's Rally at Catalina State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
48?  That is warm now.

We were in low 20's overnight here. 

How about a roadtrip for the gang up to GC?  Really pretty in the snow.

Wednesday's festivities included a mini rally inside several coaches. Pumpkin treats were provided by  Peg and Betty  as we  gathered to say hello to fiends inside the comfort and beauty of Kuch's coach.  Betty admired Sheilas new refrigerator.  Then at 10 am Betty and Sheila took a walk around the park to make sure all participants knew about the  lunch time and destination.  Clearly  30% of the group had not stirred from bed at 10 am so as you can see this is a kick back rally.

We met for  lunch at In & Out Burger and then off to movies.  Most saw True Grit and some of the girls watched the romantic comedy How Do You Know?  All movies got positive remarks!

Our day was topped off with a wonderful dinner at Red Lobster.  Thanks to Fred's recommendation I had the  pecan crusted grilled shrimp.  Yum Yum.

This morning Terry is repairing an electrical outlet which melted my  cell phone charger to it.  No hikes today!  Always something...

It is raining lightly and Ken is walking from rig to rig.  Tonight is a ranger led  tour of Saguro Park , rain or shine.  Our electric space heater is keeping us warm and toasty inside our rig.
Betty

Betty  What do you expect to see on the park tour at NIGHT  8) 8) 8)????  sounds interesting but DARK  :) :D ::)
Howard

Hi Ken and Sheila
Sorry to say the B.C. weather has followed us here to Tucson, guess Santa has a strange sense of humor this year.
We were planning to pack up the rig today and join you for a couple of days. The possibility of snow has changed our plans. Would still like to drive over ( in the truck) and visit and meet you folks, just read Betty's post about the tour tonight. Are there any other events happening..
Stay warm and dry
Howard and Jo

I bet Saguaro at night with snow will be spectacular. Too bad there's not a full moon and clear skies.

Betty - Who were the "fiends" who invaded the Kuchs coach ? :)

Wendy

Wendy said:
Betty - Who were the "fiends" who invaded the Kuchs coach ? :)

I love funny typos and I completely missed this one.  We miss joining all our "fiends" for tonight's tour.  ;)

Margi

Foxysdad said:
Betty  What do you expect to see on the park tour at NIGHT  8) 8) 8)????  sounds interesting but DARK  :) :D ::)

Howard
Something to do with Winter Solstice.  I'll give a report when we return.  We are leaving at  2:45 sharp to stop at Sweet Tomatoes for an early dinner before the 5:30 tour.  Yes I think snow on  cactus would be pretty.

Wendy,
It was a typo but "fiends" seems to work with this group.  I meant FRIENDS in case anyone didn't realize it. And I did proofread my work, tee hee.
37 degrees here at 11 am.
Betty

We had a little snow shower but nothing on the ground. The Catalina Mts do have a little snow on the as I look out front window.

ken

After a picturesque snowy drizzly day, the clouds blew away to reveal  mountain tops lightly dusted with snow.  We left Catalina in a string of cars to have a late lunch/early dinner at Sweet Tomatoes.  It was a delightful meal,  offering lots of  choices and Sheila had printed coupons for us so we got a deal as well. We left  stuffed and it was said we wished the signal from our  stomach to brain was DSL instead of dial up.  Only the techies in this group could figure out such an analogy. !!

We the entered Saguro National Forest and met up at the Visitor Center where we were treated like VIP'S.  Hot apple cider, cookies and books to buy! I found out this  after dark driving tour is only offered once during the year so we were  lucky to get the reservation ( thank you Sheila)

Ranger Laura gave us an idea of the trip and we bundled up for the near 7 stops along the way.  The road stops were lit up with luminaria so it was beautiful. We saw constellations, Christmas  cholla, mistle toe and were treated to hundreds of interesting Saguro facts.  Some saw two deer and  we all saw rabbits. It was nippy and yet we loved it.  (Especially being able to jump into warm cars as we ventured to the next stop.)  At one point we tasted chocolate and got to guess the flavor.  This was one of those activites I wouldn't have done with just the two of us, but the group made it special and  we all have something to talk about tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, Terry is going with George, Lou  and Frank to the Titan Missle Museum at 10 am.  I'm going to Trader Joe's.  Happy New Year to us tomorrow.
Betty

Hope you hiked to the pictographs. Though in the dark it may have been adventurous.

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 24
PancakeBill said:
Hope you hiked to the pictographs. Though in the dark it may have been adventurous.

Bill,
Nope we did not hike to any pictographs.  We stayed on the sidewalk like trail.  It would not have been  advisible to go where we could not see.  But thanks for the  photo.
Betty

Betty, we had a really interesting/great time at the Titan Missile display several years ago.  We were there in mid January and it was soooo cold.  I was so hoping we could have made this rally; but Tim is ensconced  in a huge project for the school district....gonna miss Quartzsite too, darn.  Not to mention the fact that we are basically "locked" in the valley at the moment.  All routes out are closed.  They hope to get the snow covered mountain pass open today.  We have been hit by tons of rain/snow and lots of damage around us.

Marsha~

Bill

We did find out last night that you are allowed to walk into the park in the evening after they close.  I think it could be really nice ,when it is a little warmer, to watch the sun set over the saguaros and then do some star gazing.  Because Tucson has strict lighting regulations it was amazing how much we could see last night even though the city it right on the park perimeter.

Happy New year to you two, wish you could be here.

Sheila

The New Years party tonight will be at Russ's coach and our coach. Folks are welcome to go back and forth between the coaches.

We will start at 7PM.

ken & sheila

Did everyone forget their cameras?  Margi is pining away for pictures, as usual.  Miss you all.  ;D

Margi

Margi,

I know the Ray took a few last night, I'll see if he can post them. I'll try to remember to take some of the group in the coach tonight.

ken

A Very Happy New Year to all our RV Forum friends and framily.  We held a wonderful New Year?s Eve Party in 2 coaches tonight.  Ken and Sheila hosted one  party and  Russ M. hosted a second party.  Guests flip flopped between the two parties in search of the perfect hors ?d ourvre.  Russ? coach had champagne flowing but I kept my own shoes and Marlene kept her own shoes on her feet just in case. Betty and Debbie provided bling for the nails of the girls for a special New Year treat.  Choices were leopard, gold bling, glitter or butterflies.  For some this was a first time treat.  Randy was a good sport and accepted a  bling nail and Lou said maybe tomorrow!

Sorry that Jeff was not feeling well and we did not see  Fred and Daisy this evening either.    We laughed about the year Jim Dick shut down the generator and closed our New Year in New York.  We wore party hats and  made noise with our noise makers.  2011 will be a good year if tonight was any indication.

Betty toasted the RVForum as a group and reminded folks of the donate button on the RVForum if you find our forum of value and want to see it supported!

Photos are attached per Margi?s request in no particular order.  Happy New Year.
Betty

Attachments

• Sheila and Ken [800x600].jpg
    Sheila and Ken [800x600].jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Russ [800x600].jpg
    Russ [800x600].jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Betty does bling for Jane [800x600].jpg
    Betty does bling for Jane [800x600].jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Bill and  Jane [800x600].jpg