Traveling with Birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suezek

I have two cockatiels who have taken short trips with us for a few days but never on a long drive. Does anyone travel with their birds? I am concerned that it might be stressful for them. This seems like a trivial question but I wouldn't want to kill them inadvertently.

I used to have finches but never brought them on trips.

My great-grandmother had a canary which she routinely took on 5 hour car trips.

Consider that they are more sensitive to carbon monoxide than people, and keep the cage covered so they don't panic. 

Finally a member question to which I can speak.
Even before my recent purchase of my TT I traveled with my bird. At first it was my cockatiel and now my wife and I take our pekingese "Eddie" and our African Grey "Gonzo"on every trip. I don't cover her up on the trip as long as she seems ok, she enjoys the scenery & our company. Be sure to have a good travel cage with a solid perch and position her facing on the perch the direction that most interest her.Our last trip was over 7 hrs, next month we will travel about 10 hrs with her.
Inside the TT she stays on the table next to the window. We've only taken her outside once because of the extreme heat. We have a screened room to protect from insects or I probably wouldn't consider it at all.
You might start with a short trip to gage their reaction first. I expect Your birds would probably enjoy the trip and your company very much. If I can help please let me know! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0425 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0425 (Small).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom