Been waiting for this for some time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSutton1

Hi folks!  Looks like after some time I am going to buy my first RV, 1988 Jamboree.

Its been sitting for quite some time but looks very restorable. I am getting it for a great price and I am very mechanical.

I have not closed the deal yet and wondered if any of you could share any special areas that I should be concerned with before.

My goal is to clean and remodel it on the inside and out, and if possible locate a diesel engine and trans to convert out the gas engine. I have been running a Mercedes Benz on WVO for quite some time now and would like to do the same on this RV.

Hope this is the correct area of the forum for this.

Jim

Welcome and congrats on getting in.

Seems you are about to take on a daunting task. I don't envy you that amount of work but if thats what you want to do then go for it.

First thing you must do is do a very careful inspection for water leaks.  At that age the roof is probably junk and it is quite possible there has been water damage causing wood rot.  Since you are doing a large remodel project water damage could be a deal breaker or not.  As long as you are doing this project for fun and not to save some money go for it, and have fun.  Otherwise it is probably much cheaper to buy a ready to camp RV.

There is some water damage on ceiling. Did not investigate close yet. Is the roof made of wood or metal?

Tried to upload a pic. My purchase price looks to be $1000 but will include a generator and car carrier.

Attachments

• Rv.JPG
    Rv.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 68
The roof will be a light wood frame, typically with a thin plywood sheathing over it.  An '88 might have a metal roof or EPDM rubber. The rubber is always over a plywood sheathing, but metal was sometimes laid right on the framework.

Since there are signs of water leakage, there is a good chance there is rot in the wood frame and sheathing. That entails a lot of work and requires solid handyman skills to repair. Plus a place under cover while you work on it.

Look at the tore date codes - visible condition means nothing if it has been sitting around a lot. Generally, tires that 7 years old are pretty much shot no matter what they look like. You might squeeze 10 years from them, but the risk of a blowout and damage to the rig is high. You can learn about tire date codes in the RV Forum Glossary.

You are getting all that for just a thousand bucks?? That sounds like a steal to me

Back
Top Bottom