Gas Consumption For 4KW Onan Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

Does anybody have any idea what an Onan 4KW generator gobbles up in gas?  This would sure be handy to know, when trying to figure out my MPG. 

Also handy to know when boondocking and find it necessary to run for more than an hour.

THANKS for your help, I love this forum!

Well, it depends.  Probably you have a unit that operates on gasoline.  There are units that operate on diesel and others that work on propane depending upon the installation.  If you can be specific about the model number and fuel type you may get a more precise answer.

However, here is a table from an Onan manual with numbers for some gas units.

If you would like to get a manual for your particluar unit you can go to http://www.cumminsonan.com/manuals I believe that the manuals are free.

Attachments

• Onan table.jpg
    Onan table.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 77
molaker said:
FWIW - My Onan manual says 0.29 gph-no load, 0.48 gph-half load and 0.71 gph-full load.

That is almost exactly my experience too.  1/2 to 3/4 gal per hour on those hot days running the a/c.
for lighter uses like making coffee or nuking something in the mw....  I never kept track.

DearMissMermaid said:
what an Onan 4KW generator gobbles up in gas? 

SILLY ME!  I should have specified it was GASOLINE and not diesel nor propane. The Brits call it petrol, but not many Brits here, me thinks.

I will get a hold of the manual and read it again.    Perhaps it will cure insomnia.  ;D

My manual didn't say, the first go round, but then again, I was LOOKING for the gas info, excuse me, the GASOLINE info.

Maybe if I read it again and pretend not to look for the gasoline info, it will suddenly pop out and say.

Love this forum!

Thanks for all the help, need all I can get as I wander around wondering.

Missionman said:
Our Onan 4Kw averages .60 gal per hr
AndyinLexington said:
My 5 KW Onan Emerald uses .5 gph or a little less.
These are mostly arbitrary numbers without knowing what kind of load is on the genset.  Are these with the A/C on, fridge on electric, frequent microwave use?  Lot's of variables to consider when trying to determine GPH of a genset.  Something like 21 mpg hwy, 15 mpg city.

Depends on the precision you are looking for, doesn't it?  I use 0.5 GPH for planning purposes and it works just fine for me.  I typically have the air conditioning on, battery charger, and a few lights.

Thank you so much for ALL the help. I've been roughly figuring 1/2 gallon per hour, for planning purposes, so I may not be too far off the mark. If one is boondocking and needing the generator for 12+hours, not much of a bargain vs finding a cheap camp ground (and enjoying extras like water and dumping).

On the other hand, boondocking and only needing the generator for 1-2 hours, then helluva bargain.

The other equation was figuring up my miles per gallon. It's so frightening low, why bother. I just divide my gas costs by number of miles driven, so I have a cents per mile to work into my smallish budget.  Of course the generator time is mixed up with the milage and gas purchases...grrr...  so anyhow, last I checked it was 30 cents a mile to buy guy (Freudian slip???)  um,  buy GAS for the beast. (Yes that included the generator use).

It's probably more now, as I am traveling in the midwest where gas is a bit more than the south, so I try to figure 50 cents a mile, for budget purposes, so I have lots of  change leftover (and I often get lost and go with the adventure anyhow) so often I do more miles than planned.

If you can call what I do, a planned at all! :eek:

This forum is GREAT with wonderful people, thank you all for your time and help! ;D

I wish I could meet up with some of you in person!  I'm at Carthage Gap Camp in Coolville, Ohio until Labor Day.  A wonderful campground with perfect hosts and lovely people (well the majority are lovely, there's a few with... or never mind!)

If my plans don't change again.  (Ha ha ha, famous last words!)

And, if I don't get lost, coming back from shopping for food.  ;)

Allow me to chime in here....

The size of the generator has nothing to do with your charging rate to the battery.  The determining factor is the type of converter/charger you have installed in your rig.

The generator provides 115V but the converter may only deliver a minute amount to the batteries. Most of the 12V coming from the converter goes to feeding the RV lights, etc.

If you have an older type of converter, you may only get a few amps going to the batteries for charging purposes.

Some of the newer converters will deliver big amps for rapid charging.

If you have an older unit (Magnatec) you can wait forever to have the batteries charged...not an hour or so but days.

Much info on this forum on that subject.

carson FL

We get 3-4 hours per gallon, rarely use the A/C, occasional use of the microwave, lots and lots of TV, computer and internet use.

Plan on the high side (.7 gph) and be delighted if you use less.

Wendy

3-4 gallons an hour would be WONDERFUL.  Mostly I have used it when it was super hot and I was shopping. I had to leave the generator going with A/C so the little puppy dog would be OK while I shopped. I don't usually need it all while driving. It's just me and the puppy and we like the windows open mostly when we drive.

I broke down on the side of the interstate in Orlando, and AAA took over 3 hours to find a tow truck in the brutal heat, so I used the generator and A/C to keep from passing out. Then I spent the night at the repair facility, they left me outside the gates, so I had no electric to plug into, it was super humid so the generator ran all night with A/C.

When I was boondocking, weather was great, I just used it once in awhile to recharge the laptop battery,run the microwave and recharge the battery for lights and fan. I don't have a TV.  I must be the ONLY Rv out there, without a TV.

I think I might would like a TV, but I'm also afraid the commercials would brain wash me. Last time I saw TV, the commercials were pushing junky foods, new cars and lots and lots of drugs.  :eek:

My daughter Sue Anne and I would enjoy meeting you sometime.  We are going to be in southern Indiana south of Terre Haute around the 20th of October, I'm going to my 46th class reunion.  Just so you know my daughter is 39 and mentally challenged, she has Williams Syndrone, but she is a sweetie.

We will be in Elizabethtown, Kentucky before and after that for maybe a day each time.  I am dropping my DIL off to meet her sister, she is from Russia, Armunsk to be exact. 

September 20th we are going to Padre Island for a week in south Texas or so that is the plan for now.

Just let us know if you are around any of those areas. 

Sounds like you are having a great time, and heck, I get lost a lot too, just don't tell anyone. ;)

Back
Top Bottom