Symantic/Norton antivirus software bug!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
I'm a little confused by the notes from Karl & Smoky.

Karl says that Symantec/McAfee antivirus software is affected. Symantec and McAfee are separate companies and nowhere in either linked articles does it mention McAfee that I can see.

Secondly, Smoky says he's glad he's keeping his Norton up to date, but Norton is owned by Symantec and Norton products are affected by this vulnerability. I could have misread or misinterpreted your meaning Smoky, but thought I would mention this.

John B.

Eeeeeewwwwwww!!

Donkey doo-doo?

Thou art too hard on thyself good fellow. How about Ann Landers "2 lashes with a wet noodle".? :D ;D

Now I KNOW I'm going to be in trouble the first time I make a boo-boo and land in the doo-doo!? ;)

John B.

... and now for the explanation of my answer. 

The link said that Norton (Symantec) is working on the solution.  However the link also said only current updated products will be serviced.  That is why I am glad I keep my products up to date.  It is expensive buying these products each year for 4 separate computers, and sometimes a chore to keep updating them several times a week, and I don't like the idea that I have to have a separate copy for each.  But I do what they tell me.  Software must be an immensely profitable business.  At any rate I am glad I will be covered when the solution arrives.

Smoky said:
... and now for the explanation of my answer. 

The link said that Norton (Symantec) is working on the solution.  However the link also said only current updated products will be serviced.  That is why I am glad I keep my products up to date.  It is expensive buying these products each year for 4 separate computers, and sometimes a chore to keep updating them several times a week, and I don't like the idea that I have to have a separate copy for each.  But I do what they tell me.  Software must be an immensely profitable business.  At any rate I am glad I will be covered when the solution arrives.

Smoky

I have found it is much cheaper to buy the new Norton products than to renew the license. And usually; Fry's, CompUSA, Best Buy or someone has them on sale (with rebates) for very few bucks. But then once installed, you don't have to keep updating them, Norton has "Live Update" which you can set for automatic scanning for new updates and automatic installs. You don't have to do a thing to keep up to date. Just remember when your licenses run out and install your new versions then.

I have installed the last Norton product on my computer.  Will be using Zone Alarm and AVG like I already do on the other computer.

IMHO Zone Alarm is better than Norton even the free version of ZA.

Ron,

I Agree. I've been using the free Zone Alarm for years now and have never had an intrusion. I'd buy the Pro version but don't have need for the added functionality, as Trend Micro's PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 does all the rest for me splendidly, and has automatic updates; sometimes twice or three times a day if they discover something new. Will be upgrading to the 2006 version soon,which includes anti-phishing and anti-fraud components.

Bottom line is that there are several products on the market that do an equal or, in many cases, better job than Norton or McAfee - Panda, PC-Cillin, AVG, F-Secure come to mind, and there are others. Try any or all, and decide which is best for you. If Norton or McAfee is your choice, so be it.

Ron said:
I have installed the last Norton product on my computer.  Will be using Zone Alarm and AVG like I already do on the other computer.

IMHO Zone Alarm is better than Norton even the free version of ZA.

Ron

I started with ZA in v2.0 and stayed with it ever since. Upgraded to ZA Pro when I installed our cable connection. Never paid for it, either free as ZA or on sale at Fry's with full rebates. Been using NAV for 10-15 years. Went to System Works, which includes NAV many years ago. Same story, net cost minimal after rebates and it does a fine job. Never had any of the issues that some have indicated of conflicts. But I don't use Norton Internet Protection.

Karl mentioned PC-Cillin. I use that as well and I understand that the 2006 version will have an excellent firewall in it in addition to the features he mentioned.

Phil,

Yes, it does have a firewall. Just last night, I helped my friend, Sue, upgrade to Internet Security 2006 over the phone, and it went without a hitch. The User Interface is somewhat different than 2005, so she had to describe some of the screens to me (after installation) so we could check that everything was up-to-date. As with Zone Alarm, I've been using it for years, ever since it was included with a motherboard upgrade from Asus. Never experienced a problem with it and have never had a virus get thru.

BernieD said:
Ron

I started with ZA in v2.0 and stayed with it ever since. Upgraded to ZA Pro when I installed our cable connection. Never paid for it, either free as ZA or on sale at Fry's with full rebates. Been using NAV for 10-15 years. Went to System Works, which includes NAV many years ago. Same story, net cost minimal after rebates and it does a fine job. Never had any of the issues that some have indicated of conflicts. But I don't use Norton Internet Protection.

I have used Norton System works then switched to Internet Security.  I also was buying when the rebates made it free or very reasonable.  However, Since about 2003 Norton decided they needed to incorporate copy protections which also takes up CPU time.  I have just got fed up with Norton.  I find AVG updates the antivirus more often then Norton.  For me it is time to DUMP Norton products.

Ron,

Unfortunately, not this year; but thanks for asking. She has a new management position at the Ostoff Resort and all the Holidays and winter activities will be keeping her jumping the next few months.  There's that 4-letter word again: W - - K  :p  I wish she could be here too!

Bernie:

I am aware of what you say, and that is what we do.  By update, I meant the Norton process, though we do have it set to alert us, so that we know what updates are being done and when.

I have never had a problem with Norton.  I have had very debilitating problems both with McaFee and ZA.  I think sometimes the choice of these problems is dependent upon the particular pc and configuration variables.  What works on one pc may be a problem on another.  We have always stuck with HP laptops and Dell desktops, and Norton has always worked well on our computers.  I don;t think there is any one best problem, and each person has to work out what is best.  I just hope I don;t end up some day with different products on different pcs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom