Tailgate or no tailgate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuckj

New to the camper thing........just purchased the following: 1994 GMC K3500 c/w towing package and full length box 1996 Vanguard 11-1/2 foot camper - very heavy. There is ~ 33 inches of camper overhang beyond truck bed. There is no tailgate on the truck  and to me 33 inches is too much unsupported weight. Opinion around here is split 50 - 50 whether to use a tailgate as extra support or not.........what does the forum think? Thanks Jay

I would leave the tailgate off; the strength of the two cables securing the gate to the the truck are not that strong. By leaving the gate on you will be adding extra weight behind your rear axle which is something you want to avoid. Good luck with your new rig.

+1 on leaving the tailgate off.  I've had my 11ft 6 in. camper on for at least 15 years and have never had a need for the tailgate.

Normally, with a standard 8' bed, the 3 1/2' overhang from an 11 1/2' camper would extend back from the trailing edge of the box, hanging down below bed level for the 3 1/2'.  Where would the tailgate go? ???

You remove the tailgate and store it elsewhere, like in the garage.  Usually, it's a 30 second job to remove the tailgate.

tuckj said:
Opinion around here is split 50 - 50 whether to use a tailgate as extra support or not.........what does the forum think? Thanks Jay

That's what I've always done.  The way Jay posed the original question, it sounded like he thought he had a choice to do something else with the tailgate. 

The only reason I can think of to leave the tailgate on is the reason I do:
I'm not very agile, and it's easier, in many parking situations to climb up onto the tailgate, and then get into the camper. This "front porch" sometimes makes it easier to keep the floor clean inside the camper, also.

I've been thinking I should put a non-skid mat on top of my tailgate, so that it won't be so slippery.

Back
Top Bottom