Mpg for Class A and Class C diesel rvs stated somewhere on the web?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bb21992

Looking to purchase a used diesel Class A (31 ft. or less) or Class C (31 ft. or less).  Listers state mpg but I am trying to find the real mpg as stated by manufacturer ( usually higher than actual just like cars), or a website that is more informative and not a vested interest in stated mpg.  Any thoughts or references would be appreciated.  Looking to put my ducks in a row before I go wading... Thanks ;)

There is no silver bullet in that game.  Diesel gives you a mpg at a better rate than gas. However lately, for a few years, Diesel was more expensive than gasoline, which today today was 2.65.9 in our area.

It takes x-amount of energy to propel an RV down the road.  Considering same size vehicles. The fuel source is not important. I think it may be a tie in cost.

Diesels have an advantage in better torque, longer lief etc., but they also stink more.  Diesels cost a lot more in upkeep/maintenance...keep that in mind.

In my opinion it is a toss-up...it only depends how big your wallet is in the long-run to enjoy a Diesel.

I chose a gas model because I did now want to deplete my nest-egg just for an ego-trip.

YMMV. (Your mileage may vary).

Looking forward to the replies...

Carson FL

I say "the first liar never stands a chance".

Show me yours, and I'll show you mine.  OOOPS! that's another game entirely.

LOL, Lou. Isn't that what life is all about. Everybody does it all the time.

It's called an exchange of ideas.  Reject it if is out of your thinking area.

carson FL  90.3?  The heat is getting to me... ;D

Most gas class a's get around 7 to 8 mpg at best.  I have a 35' and tow a boat...  I got 7.8 on the last Canada trip last week.  ford v10 gas.  It has been My experiance that a smudge pot gets 1 or 2 mpgs better at best.  BUT  the maint is a lot higher.  Go smoker if you are going to use it alot, I mean alot.  Otherwise a gas will fit most needs.  The extra cost of a smoker plust the extra maint.  will never be recooped.  My opinion only.

Thank you for all the posts.  These posts really help my decision making process especially from you all that have been on the road with both experiences.  Thanks so much. :D

I get a steady 7.5 mpg with our 30,000# 40' diesel towing.  I would hope that a 31' would get much better.

I will get a consistant 9+ and my wife gets close to 12 or over, same coach, so back to the foot thing.>>>Dan :-\  ( I weigh 210 llbs. and she weighs 110, so her foot is definently lighter than mine)

We took a trip from Arkansas to California and back to Arkansas in our 40' Wanderlodge with a Chevrolet Cavalier on tow. Round trip average was 8.8 miles per gallon. This was using the Generator to provide  roof Air during part of the trip. Worst tankfull average was 7.7 Mpg., and the best  went as high as 10 mpg. So I would say that road conditions and driving style both contribute to mpg..

Lee

I have a 38ft class A gas, gets 6.5 to about 8 mpg pulling my wrangler 4dr.  Speed, wind, hills play a big roll in mpg thus the big variation in mpg.  My MPG is within .5 mpg going 55 or 65 mph & I think the Allison 6spd trans helps a lot there. When I was RV shopping last summer I drove a providence 39s which was in rough condition but went down the road much better then a gasser.  My worry was maintenance costs  & having to buy used DP vs new Gas.  So better interest rates on new we went that route.... we figured we will also only put 5K miles or so a year on the RV which also made us look at gas.

I do always talk to DP owners when out camping & most seem to state they get around 8 mph on their 38-40ish foot RV with the 43-45ft ones getting 7-8mph.

I would mostly look at the floor plan you want (which was another reason we purchased the RV we did) & let that decide for you.  A 31ft class C doesn't have close to the room of a 31ft class A.  You loose 5-7 feet due to the hood & all that stuff which is all living space in the class A. 

While wind, hills, heavy/light foot, weight, speed and shape are major factors, altitude seems to play a part in mileage, as well. This is probably due to the same drag conditions you find causing wind to affect mileage, since higher country has thinner air, thus less drag (aircraft use this fact for efficiency as a matter of course). I find with both my Bounder and with my F-150 that I get better highway mileage in Colorado/Wyoming (when not in the mountains, obviously) than I do when further east -- trips to Michigan, Maryland, etc.

Just for example, on a trip to Michigan not long ago, my mileage in my Bounder ran from 6.8 to 9.0, with reduced values as I got further east (winds played a big part, too, of course). About three years ago I took a trip in my F-150 from Colorado across the UP of Michigan, then up through New England, then back across I-70 from Maryland to Colorado. All else being equal, I got 1-2 mpg better in Colorado and western Kansas/Nebraska than I did further east, running at the same speeds.

Have Triton V10 on our Winnebago Voyage 35A - Just did WI to and Through SD, MT, Id including all the Bad Hills, Yellowstone and return . 3700 mil ... ran speed limits but 65 on I90 all the way...
had to drop down to 2nd on 4 occasions going Through the passes but tow haul gear  pretty much all the way up and tow haul gear compression braking ? all the downs......
Had to run generator much of running time because front AC couldn't quite keep up, two grandsons occasionally on rear TV part of time, wife and daughter on computers, meal preparation, refrigerator needs A/C when at high altitude, etc..
Ended up at approx 7.0 over all............. if I credit gas used for generator at approx .6 gal/hr run, the coach got approx 7.4 to 7.5 on mileage .. ( full loaded at 22,000# but was not towing - don't believe we will normally tow because we plan to drive and only stay 1-2 nights at each place... not planning any long term campground stays for next couple years - will rent on the rare occasion we want a car - only found two roads we would have liked to go not accessable to RVs for whole trip..)
Happy with engine performance in hills ... Most of our trips will be less demanding on power than the Rockies so satisfied I made right decision for us - local Ford garage does all maintenance on the V10 and generator... oil changes $29.99, etc.....
If / when we decide to RV most/full time, longer stays so may tow, Alaska, etc..... then it may make sense to go diesel pusher with more power but as we are planning to trade up after getting 3 years of experience and traveling with this one, we'll look at that then..... Will likely only have 25,000 mile on this one then...
Right now , we'll do 2-3 trips of 1000-4000 mi per year  and the gas V10 is good for us. 

"I chose a gas model because I did now want to deplete my nest-egg just for an ego-trip."

I've seen this theme now several times in the endless "gas vs diesel" discussions - usually posted by someone with a gas coach.  Are we to assume that anyone who has opted for a diesel coach had no good reason to do so and was just on an "ego trip"?

UUUH - touchy?

I made that decision for myself only. Getting a Diesel would have been en ego-trip for me.
Let's leave it at that. Funny how a few innocent words can conjure up thoughts in other people.

carson

Bob,, just look down your nose at the gassious scumm.... ;D ;D ;D>>>Dan  ( I'm envious when I see a 42 or 45 Pheaton with full slides on each side)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom