Flying J/Pilot RV Real Awards Card - new rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
See here for the new features of the RV card effective Sept. 1, 2010.  Some good, some not so good, yet.  Diesel discount will be $.03/gallon only at the RV islands.  Cash price at the truck pumps is coming.  See here for all the details.  Overall, I think it shows that Pilot is trying to accommodate the RVer as LJ has in the past.

Since the cash discount is going away (at least temporarily) I will no longer give FJ preference.

Hopefully FJ/Pilot will bring back the cash discount at the truck pumps as promised.

Here we go again - they seem to just love mucking with loyal RV customers. Just a few months ago they were bragging about how much better it would be soon when the rewards program extended to Pilot as well as FJ. Now even my Real Value Plus Credit Card account with FJ will no longer be usable for discounts. And I can't go to the truck lanes and pay the same price as the RV lanes (where I don't fit worth a damn).

Time for me to write a nastygram again... I encourage others to do the same. There is a Customer Service Contact form on the FJ/Pilot web site.

Gary,

At 43 feet plus the jeep there is no way I will go to the RV Islands in 95% of FJs.
This trip alone I will spend over $1,000.00 at FJ (all but one stop will be FJ). I did the same on our first summer trip. Our third trip will be in Sept and I will only go to FJ if it is the most convenient.

ken

I am tempted to say Give them time.. Shop where you like while they are kicking up the dust, but give it time to settle down.

Then once they stabilize you can decide to turn in your Flyin-J card or keep it.

But in the mean time.. Keep posting the dust cause... Well.. I'd rather find out on screen than on pavement if you know what I mean.

(or in other words... Thanks)

At 43 feet plus the jeep there is no way I will go to the RV Islands in 95% of FJs.

I'm "only" 40 feet plus a big toad, but I agree. Few of the have room for a big coach and toad, even if the island is empty (and that isn't often!).

We must be really lucky as we almost always use the RV islands and rarely find them full.  We also rarely have any trouble getting out and we're 38' plus a pickup truck in tow.  Maybe it's because we usually fuel around mid-morning or mid-afternoon.

I guess we're lucky too. As we are 40' with toad, and have no problem exiting the rv fuel islands at flying j.

I wonder if one would go inside to pay with a credit card, would the flying j rv card be accepted for using the truck pumps. Like when visa cards wouldn't work at the pumps, but one could pay inside.

I give them an A for effort, for trying to accommodate rv'ers needs. And will probably continue to use their services.

At least FJ/Pilot are offering some perks, even if they're less than we had before.  What do Love's, TA, Valero, and the other major chains offer the RVer?

Mid-morning is a good time to fuel - seems least crowded then. And some FJ's have more room than others.  The ones in the east generally have much less room than western locations. Some are crowded even in the truck lanes.

How do you deal with an RV island that faces right up to the store and is at the far end of the row, so that you have to pull across every single car lane to get out? And with more cars backing out of the spots in front of the store while others are pulling forward out of the gas pumps! Nightmare!  I guess maybe Barb and Lorna are better drivers than I am. Or at least have better nerves!

We don't attempt to enter the RV isles crammed near the front of the FJ store. Whoever came up with that design must have been thinking of tent campers. We could get in and, if there was nobody blocking our exit, we could get out. But the truck islands are so much easier, kinda like a pullthrough site vs a back-in. And, don't forget the high speed hoses at the truck pumps.

As I have mentioned before I think FJ has lost their competitive edge in diesel pricing but because I needed propane after sitting in Surprise all summer I pulled into the ABQ FJ around noon last Sunday. It used to be so crowded at the RV pumps you would be back in the street in line. There was one gasser finishing up when I pulled into the propane line and called to ask for propane. 25 minutes later a young man showed up to pump the $2.75 a gallon propane and during that time one pickuup used one of the two lanes. As I left after fueling 45 minutes later (the card reader keypad was inop) I saw one more RV arriving . 

Not the greatest experience I've had during a refuel and from the lack of RV business I think FJ must be feeling the loss.

We often fuel at our local Safeway gas station, sometimes passing a FJ on the way home. There's always a discount for Safeway club members and, with the discounts available for grocery and pharmacy purchases, some of the deals are almost too good to pass up. When they were running their cumulative discount, we got as high as $0.70/gallon discount. The day we filled up the coach with diesel we got $0.40/gallon discount.

I see DP Mhs and trucks at the Smith [Kroger] pumps doing the same thing. It's also one of the busiest for groceries and prescriptions in Los Lunas near the intersection of NM 6 [old Rt 66] and NM 47 --we call it the "Y". I did get $.15 off per gal one time.

Our first Flying J's ever were on our trip home after the wedding --good food buffet.

The N Little Rock Pilot is .04 cents a gallon higher than the N Little Rock Wal-Mart, and there is only four miles between them. If I'm in a hurry, I just go to the Petro Station, It's just across the street from Pilot, and about .01 cent cheaper at the truck Islands plus they give a Good Sam's discount. I also use the Petro Truck parking lot frequently when traveling. It's convenient, easily accessable and the food is good.

M1894 said:
If I'm in a hurry, I just go to the Petro Station, It's just across the street from Pilot, and about .01 cent cheaper at the truck Islands plus they give a Good Sam's discount. I also use the Petro Truck parking lot frequently when traveling. It's convenient, easily accessable and the food is good.

Lee:

Does Petro charge for using credit cards?

Jeff said:
Lee:

Does Petro charge for using credit cards?

I haven't been charged for using mine here locally. Most of my traveling has been with my old 84 Bluebird,and it had a 265 Gallon fuel capacity, making trips of over 2400 miles possible, and for any extended trips I just refill at the N. Little Rock station at either the start or end of any trips, so I always start out with a full tank and fresh service on the unit. The last time I refuled outside of Arkansas was in Oklahoma City, and I don't recall being charged for using my card there either.

Lately, we have been using some of the Valero mini-truck stops. They are less crowded.  Jack goes inside to alert the cashier that our Bluebird will be taking on at least 286 gallons. They seem to appreciate that. <g>

Regards,
Liz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom