Flying J/Pilot RV Real Awards Card - new rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tony_Alberta said:
What's the cash price difference when buying fuel or some other items?  If there is none, such as food or RV park fees, then yes you might as well use a credit card. 

This summer, I was able to get the "same as cash price" for all my fuel, lodging and food.  Every national fast food chain accepted credit cards same as cash.  The cash back rewards give me at least one "free" vacation day per month. :)

PhilB

That's what I have found too Ned. Most stations charge the same for cash or credit. And I get 3% back on fuel, so even on cash prices I come out ahead with the card. Plus it's just easier to only pay one bill a month, and they keep a record for me of purchases. And I have a second card that gives me 2% back on groceries.  It's not for everyone, but it works good for us.

Earlier this season when I found that FJ was no longer competitive on their pricing, I started using Wal-Mart to refuel. Even tho the diesel pumps are on the outside lane it is a hassle to manuver the 40 footer in and out. But the cost savings is significant especially when I get a nice cash back on my credit card.

If the RV vehicle is gasoline, then Sam's Club is even better. Manuvering usually isn't an issue. A $15/15 week membership would take care of the normal seasonal travel period.

Unfortunately, Wal-Mart and Sam's that are located south of the Mason-Dixon line are able to sell fuel. It does take more time to find them and refuel, but then I'm never in a hurry in the RV.

Unfortunately, Wal-Mart and Sam's that are located south of the Mason-Dixon line are able to sell fuel.

Apparently a typo here, since I don't see anything "unfortunate" about selling fuel.  Not sure what was intended, but many Walmarts & Sams "south of the Mason Dixon' do sell fuel and some have diesel. I fuel the car at both regularly.  Accessibility varies with the location, though.

Well, here is our 2 cents on this matter. At the Flying J in Lubbock(Exit 4, I-27), our R.V. Real Value Member card would not work in the card reader at the truck pump. The message was, "see the cashier". So Jack went to see the cashier who put the card in her reader. She told Jack that he would have to prepay his purchase. So he did, to the tune of $500 for 163 gallons. Jack didn't ask if we got a discount. He was really POed over the whole situation and wants to stop using FlyingJ.

Comments?

Jack and Liz

The situation at the Pilot and Flying J stores is in a state of transition while they convert all of them to new software.  During this time, there are differences in handling of RV purchases due to sometimes misunderstanding of the store personnel and others because the software isn't set up yet.  I think it will take until the end of the year for this all to settle down and believe that the RV rewards cards will work just as they have in the past, but at both Pilot and Flying J.  We have been using the RV islands at Flying J and have been getting the new $.03/gallon discount (up from the old $.01/gallon) as well as the cash price with a credit card.  We are avoiding the truck pumps until they transition is over as there is too much variability in pricing there.

Just a reminder that to get the .03 discount and 5.00 dump you need to go in a get a new Flying J/Pilot card.

Jeff said:
Just a reminder that to get the .03 discount and 5.00 dump you need to go in a get a new Flying J/Pilot card.

Is the Flying J/Pilot card a credit card or a replacement for the "courtesy discount" card?

Jeff said:

We're getting the discount with our old card.

Ours wouldn't work at Franklin Ky but the new one did. They also had no record of me purchasing fuel at ABQ two weeks earlier and wanted to charge me 10.00 to dump.

They really don't have their act together!

Is the Flying J/Pilot card a credit card or a replacement for the "courtesy discount" card?

It's a rewards (courtesy discount) card. Flying J used to also offer a combined credit and reward card, but has discontinued it (I have had one).

Gary {RV Roamer} said:
Flying J used to also offer a combined credit and reward card, but has discontinued it (I have had one).

The credit part of that card still works. At least mine still does.

When we stopped at FJ in Kingman I went in and asked before I fueled if my old reward card would work. The lady behind the counter said no, turned around picked up a new card and handed it to me. She also told me to take my old card to a Pilot station and they could transfer any credits from my old card to my new one.

YMMV

I've never used the RV pumps because, from a distance, they look like they would be harder to get in and out of.  Are the pumps highspeed pumps like the ones at the truck lanes? 

The RV pumps are the small nozzles so pump slower.  Some Flying J stores are a bit tight, but we have rarely had a problem getting in and out and we use the RV islands whenever they're open.

Bob.n.Sue said:
I've never used the RV pumps because, from a distance, they look like they would be harder to get in and out of.  Are the pumps highspeed pumps like the ones at the truck lanes?

The pumps are not the highspeed pumps like in the truck lanes. We always use the RV pumps because the way our fill pipe is routed we can't use the highspeed pumps.

We have a 38' motor home pulling a Ford Ranger and have never had a problem getting in or out of the RV island.

Am confused, need info.  I have always used my RV Real Value Plus CC at the Truck Islands and have always received the Cash price plus applicable RV discounts and the convenience of using the Card Reader at the pumps (when I could read them).

In some of the above posts it seems that I am going to have to get another card to accompany my Flying J CC, if so can that be read at the pump or will I have to go in??  I will appreciate your input as to the correct process.

As an aside, during our trip out west I found that the prices (cash price) at Flying J to be equal to or higher than other truck stops.

Walt,
If you read back at the beginning of this read, you will see that the Flying J-Pilot merger has resulted in several changes to the Rewards program and the requirement to get a new FJ RV Rewards card. Apparently some locations still accept the old one, but not many.

See RV card changes here:
http://www.pilotflyingj.com/rvloyaltyfaqs/SitePages/Home.aspx

However, the FAQ says you can keep your old RV card and the experiences reported in this thread indicate that is not true.

If you have the TAB/FJ RV PlusRewards credit card (as I do), it is no longer accepted as an RV Rewards card, either at the pump or inside at the desk. It is a credit card only.  See: http://www.pilotflyingj.com/loyalty/default.aspx

Gary, I am totally confused!!!!!

1. Went to the sites provided and it says that the RV Real Value Plus CC will only be accepted as Debit card. 

2. Just received my new RV Real Value Plus CC from TAB and the attached brochure specifically states that it will get you Cash Price at all Flying J locations as a CC.  Also that it will earn Flying J discounts and Flying loyalty points.  TAB and Flying J/Pilot don't seem to sing from the same Hymnal.

3. To receive the $.03 per gallon discount now you must use the RV Lanes (used to get the Cash Price and RV Discount at the Truck Lanes).

4.Will the RV Rewards Card work at the pumps or do you have to go inside each time???  One of the reasons for getting Flying J/TAB CC was to be able to use one card.

It all seems complicated and, from reading the above Posts, you have to fight for each discount (they are not automatic nor consistant).

I have been a loyal Flying J customer for their competitive fuel prices and fueling convenience (Truck Lanes).  They no longer seem competitive on pricing and their convenience is certainly diminished if I have to use the RV Lanes.

Back
Top Bottom