19.5 TIRE WHERE TO BUY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1968aj

WELL AFTER MONTHS OF SEARCHING I FINALLY BOUGHT A 1993 BOUNDER.  I DROVE IT HOME ON TIRES THAT ARE CRACKING AND DONT KNOW HOW OLD THEY ARE.  IT HAS 8R 19.5 TIRES  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET NEW TIRES IN THE HOUSTON TEXAS AREA?  ALSO IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STEERING TIRES AND REAR TIRES? I KNOW ON MY KENWORTH THERE IS A DIFFERECE  ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

In most RV tires there is no difference between front and rear axles. They are designated as "all position" tires.  You could use different tires if you chose to, but most do not.

You may have trouble finding an 8R19.5 size - it is not widely used anymore. Goodyear lists the 225/70R19.5 as a substitute for the 8R19.5. It is about the same load capacity and circumference, but requires a bit more dual spacing and is a little bit wider, so make sure you have clearance for it if you go with that size. There is a conversion checklist here:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/general/conversionchart.html

I'd call around the truck tire places for prices - there is often a lot of variation. Several manufacturers make tires in that size range, so see what they have.  I've had good results from GCR tires in Florida and they have a Houston location as well. Give them a call for a price.

THANKS FOR THE  GOOD INFO  IHAVE FOUND SOME HACOOK TIRES IN 8R 19.5  MAYBE SOME TOYOS.  I DROVE THIS BOUNDER 100 MILES TO GET IT HOME AND IT RAN GREAT BUT THE WORK HAS JUST BEGUN. MY NEXT JOB IS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE AIR BAGS WONT INFLATE. IM GOING ON A TRIAL RUN TO GALVESTON THIS WEEKEND. THANKS AGAIN.

I just replaced the 8R 19.5 tires on mine.

You can get them a variety of places.

Costco has the Michelin XZA 8R19.5. I had to call them to get the price so don't remember what it is.
Sears has the Bridgestone 187 (summer tire) 8R19.5 and Bridgestone M724 (all season) 8R19.5 along with a brand I didn't recognize.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?vName=Automotive&cName=Tires&keyword=8r19.5&viewItems=24&sLevel=1&viewType=gal&sLevel=0
Tires Plus had both Bridgestones at a great price if you go through their on-line quote system.  Then you have to call the store and ask them to honor the on-line price. I almost bought the M724s via this method but they only had 5 tires in stock locally and I needed 6 for a big trip.
I ended up buying the Hankook AH11s because they were available and had the most recent date of manufacture. They were said to be all season but have more of a highway tread than all season.
Goodyear also makes the G647rss in an 8R19.5 size.
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g647rss.html

In Texas there is a big warehouse so you will likely have better luck getting fresh tires at a good price. Try to buy them from some place that will tell you the date code. I had folks trying to sell me 3 yr old brand new tires. Since tires age out on RVs it is best to get the freshest ones you can.

Best,
Michelle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom