Cargo Trailer and AC units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevinjensen68

Hello folks new here to the forum.

I am looking for some info regarding rv AC units. I have a 6x12 cargo trailer and would like to add an RV unit to the 14x14 hole where a vent currently resides. I have been looking at different brands such as Coleman, Carrier, and Duo therm, prices ranging from $500-1000. My range is around 5-600 dollars, and I think I would be more then satisfied with a 13.5 btu unit w/ a heat strip.

Here is an example of one unit I have been looking at:
http://www.adventurerv.net/dometic-duo-therm-brisk-air-conditioner-13500-btu-p-130.html

Not sure on dimensions, but the trailer is not very tall so height should not be much of an issue as long as I know its up there. I need some insight on whats good, what to stay away from, power is no problem as I have a 6500 Honda mounted on the tongue, any help I would greatly appreciate.

Should work fine.  I have two of the low profile duo-therm units in my rig and they cool well.  I believe they are 13,500 btu machines.  For a 6x12 any size should work.

Thanks Jammer, I have another question.  Looking at the factory ceiling support, it does not look all that sturdy (though I may be wrong), the unit I am looking at is 100lbs, I am wondering if when I get bouncing down these crappy washington freeways if it will be fine or did you put some more support for them?  How much do your low profile units weigh?

They are indeed typically around 100 pounds.  The units on my trailer were installed at the factory.  I understand there is some additional bracing around the 14" square holes where they are mounted.  Depending on the way your trailer is framed you may want to add some strength.  I understand some people frame up an opening with 2x4 lumber.  Might work for your situation, hard to say without seeing what you have.

Here is my vent hole, if I could get a picture of yours to see what "bracing" was added so I can put some more steel in that would be great!

I have an interior ceiling so the bracing isn't visible.

What you have looks similar though to photos I have seen of metal-framed RVs with air conditioners.  I would guess you're OK, no guarantees though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom