Electric water heater help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d_miles

Hello everyone,
I just installed a Ariston GL 4 electric water heater and the manual says to not use an extension cord however that is my only option right now. So far it seems to be working fine with an extension cord, will this be ok temporarily until I can run an outlet down there or should go with out hot water until then. Thanks.

I believe if you power manage your electricity and not overload the circuit, you should be ok. And you don't need the hot water plugged in all the time

The first thing is to make sure you are using  a 12/3 extension cord.  Then you must make sure it does not make contact with any hot surfaces near the hot water heater.  This is assuming the heater draws 20 amps or less. The cord must not be longer then 75-100'. :)

An extension  is fine as long as it is large enough for the amps and the length. The Ariston GL4 is rated at 12.5 amps, so a 14 gauge cord should be ok for 25 feet and 12 gauge if 25-50 feet. If there is any other load besides the water heater on that circuit, go with 12 gauge wire.

One thing I learned over the years. Use 12 G wire and nothing smaller for everything electrical 120v  DO NOT USE 14,16,18 G WIRES UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TROUBLE. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom