Mahoney on Oregon coast till 10/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10/8 After a chill-damp cold day, there is sunlight and good weather for my trip down into California. Drove through the redwoods national park and found a herd of elk a few miles beyond, N of Orick. Actually had to turn the dash A/C on. First time is over 6 weeks.

I am overnighting at Benbow RV resort (100 miles N of Ukiah on US 101). Read about this place 12+ yrs ago and now finally have a chance to stay. Not a good value for overnighting at $46.00/nite, but it is for golfing. Too many trees, but site 98 can access both Directv and internet. CG wifi is good. 50 amp full H/Ups, level sites, nicely spaced.

Wow, $46 per night ... times have changed! 

Benbow was our "quick getaway" when aging family obligations kept us close to home (Sebastopol, CA at that time).  We had our first Joe Lacy Blackwater Moment there.  ::)  The staff cheerfuly (I hope) solved the problem with diatomaceous earth (kitty litter).

This is close to the time of year when the grape vines in the Alexander, Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino valleys should be be beginning to show their fall colors.

Margi

10/9 Santa Rosa for 3+ days. First time I've been warm in 6 weeks! Will visit with the Lynches and sister is coming over from Phoenix to do the SFO area on their motorcycle.

Ah, civilization?Costco, Trader Joe, Apple stores, fuel prices that are only expensive instead of outrageous.

Santa Rosa has always had a couple of reasonably priced gas stations - you just had to know where to look for them.

However, the best deal was when I lived in Concord.  Across the street from me was a Costco.  Around the corner from that was a high volume Arco dealer.  Both of these were on the other side of busy Monument Blvd.

And a block down the street on my side was an independent station that matched those prices.  They were an island of low prices - usually 15 - 20 cents a gallon below anyone else in the area.  When I did the 150 - 200 mile loop to the mountaintop transmitters I made sure to fill up before I left, then didn't refuel until I got back home.  :)

Yes, Wendy, the southern Oregon coast is so remote that the prices are truly amazing.  Actually, my 10 cent Fredmeyer discount brought diesel down to equal Calif prices. Today I will go to Costco for car gas.

Good visit with the Lynches. The new house is nicely laid out. The neighborhood is heavily landscaped and beautiful. The amount of work (mostly hired) involved makes me want to reach for a power Roundup sprayer!

10/12 Pam, Brian & I toured SFO. Sunny mild day. Lunch at Cliff House while aircraft carrier steamed by. Fleet week had just concluded.

10/13 We all toured the Peanuts comic strip museum. Nicely laid out and enjoyable. Visited the town of Sonoma in PM. Downtown is nicely restored to an oldtimey look. Lots of vineyards along hywy 12. Many had big tents set up for the fall wine sales and one even had an armored car out front to haul away the loot!

10/14 Off to meet up with Tom Jones for lunch. Got sabotaged by Garmin right away. She wanted to go through Vallejo, but I pushed on the Richardson bridge and I-580. Once back on land, she kept trying to route me off onto surface streets. That led to an ill advised run down to I-80 and the approach to the Bay bridge, A tortuous escape and a trip pu a pass and into a long tunnel. Big relief to to meet Tom and wife for lunch at a quiet suburban mall.

Last filled up in Oregon so really wanted a truck stop. None to be found on US 101 or any of the roads in the bay area. Took 680 down to San Jose. Got Penning's son to tell me where to find a station  and Google sat view to confirm that I could maneuver. Had 17 gal left in tank, but hate to let it get that low.

Pennings routed me to the only decent CG near San Jose and picked me up and took me out to supper.

Mimi is her usual cheerful self and Chris remains upbeat despite the lack of healing on his ankle.They hope to make it to Indio and QZ.

10/15 Short run over to Monterey area. Carmel-by-the-river managed to squeeze me in. When I called, a new CG just across the road answered the phone and said no 40 fters would fit. Then I figured out this was  wrong number. Had to expand the Google map greatly to separate the overlapping pins and get the right CG called!

As I write this, I am sitting on the shore at Pacific Grove facing a kelp bed. Lots of activity out there:
-sea otters everywhere, feeding and caring for their young.
-pelicans fly by low, near the water on the way to hunt further south.
-beyond the kelp a herd of sea lions junping about and raising a ruckus with their hunting.
-a dive boat monitoring a couple of divers.
-a sail boat tacks by
-2 kayaks drift through the kelp
-a whale watching small ship returns to port
-in the distance, a cloud of dark colored birds dive on a fish boil (tuna attacking baitfish from below, probably)
-it is now grey here with low clouds but still sunny east across the bay.
-the water must be quite deep here under the kelp, as the waves roll in and hit the shore without breaking.

Glad you made it Russ, and glad you got to meet up with Chris and Mimi. Enjoyed our lunch, albeit too brief.

Thanks for the update.  Mary Ann and I have been wondering......

Nice description of your view of the activity off Pacific Grove.  We can really visualize it!

Stay well!

Don and Mary Ann

Sleeping soundly at midnight at the Barstow Walmart...and then the dump truck dumped a full load of gravel on the rig!!! It was JUST rain, but, my, such a deluge and wind to match causing much rocking and rolling. No dimples in the car so the hail must have been small.

Got into Happy Trails midday 10/20. My summer travel is complete.

Happy to hear you are safe and sound at Happy Trails.  We enjoyed our visit with you, Brian and Pam and hope you will stop again when your travels bring you near Santa Rosa.  See you sometime in December.

Tim and Jan

Hi Russ,

Glad you're home safe and sound! We should be in the area in another week. Hope to see you and everyone else at Happy Trails!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom