Basic re-wiring for toy hauler remodel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

racer220

Hey all,

New to the RV Forum, but have quite a bit of experience on the road.  Just a few details on what I'm working with.  43' gooseneck hauler set-up to have basic sleeping/eating quarters.  Currently wired by previous owner for a few flouresent lights, A/C outlets, LP furnace, and 1 A/C unit.  I have no idea how this system is wired and don't trust what is currently there due to it tripping my breaker every time I plug into shore power.  There is no inverter, just a panel with a couple CB for everything. 

Here's a list of things that I am needing to run power to...

Living Area
1 - 2 bulb 4' flouresent light
A/C unit
LP Furnace
4 - A/C outlets for phone chargers, boot dryers, (optional TV/Laptop, space heater)
Outlet for microwave

Shop Area
5 - 2 bulb 4' flouresent lights
15A 25 gal compressor
stereo system w/ built in amplifier (2-12" subs and multiple 6x9 speakers)
6 outlets (3 each side for tools i.e. grinder, drill, shop light, etc...)
(optional power for future 2nd A/C unit)  If this happens we would upgrade our current generator

Exterior electrical for 3 recessed halogen lights

I am pretty sure it would be easiest to start with the 50A system due to possibly adding another A/C unit.  I would really like to keep the living area and shop area on separate runs based on the basis of saving power from the generator if we aren't using one of the areas as much.  At least 75% of the time will be utulizing power from a 7500 watt generator.  Minimal instances will we be in a place with shore power except for at home.  I know this is basically covering an entire system, but I am looking at getting the basics in before this winter, and would really like some suggestions or links to other project pages that someone has done.  Any help/advice at all would be appreciated.  The trailer currently has a 12 v system for the hydraulic lift, dome lights, and normal exterior lights, but I don't know if there is the need to incorporate any of that into this system.  Thanks in advance, any info is appreciated.

racer

Hopefully these pics come in to show how the 2 panels are setup right now.  I had to cut a picture in half due to the shelf getting in the way.  Each panel has (2) 20A breakers with misc. wiring.  You'll notice a bare wire on the bottom of one picture.  Not sure if this is one issue to why the system trips my house breakers or not.  Can anyone give advice on just putting a 60A panel in with a 50A double pole breaker that services 2 legs?  I know the wiring setup to get going, just want to know if there is a better/more efficient/worse way someone has set this kind of service up.  Going to use the 50A twist-loc recessed housing for shore power and just put a 50A to 30A dogbone on it since we won't be utilizing the 'true' 50A system for now.  Any info would be great.  Thx

racer

Attachments

• IMG00048-20100830-1316.jpg
    IMG00048-20100830-1316.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG00047-20100830-1315.jpg
    IMG00047-20100830-1315.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG00049-20100830-1316.jpg
    IMG00049-20100830-1316.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 14
Sorry I missed your original post - must have sipped through the cracks somehow.

Can anyone give advice on just putting a 60A panel in with a 50A double pole breaker that services 2 legs?

Not quite sure what you are suggesting here. Why not put in a standard load center, with a pair of 50A main breakers and 4-6 subsidiary breakers on each 50A main?  If you use a single 60A breaker/panel, it gets fed with just one side of the 50A shore power and that doesn't make sense to me.

Example:
http://rvpowerpartsplus.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=268

That is a great example.  I think I actually looked at that same one somewhere.  It is nice that the 50A breaker is already there and then you just hook up whatever A/C or D/C stuff you're running.  I think I got off track a little with the 60A panel question.  I actually went to our local 'RV parts superstore' to get info on what panel would be best and that is the info the guy told me to pursue.  It really isn't a difficult set-up to complete, I just want to get the best info I can not being familiar with RV electrical parts.  I have done plenty of residential wiring after the fact, just never been involved in setting different panels up.  Thx for the info

racer

A 50A RV panel is exactly like a home load center.  A pair of breakers for the input, which is 240v/50A, and two sets of breakers for the individual circuits, each fed from the 50A main breakers.  If you can do home wiring, you can do 50A RV wiring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom