Infrared thermometer at Harbor Freight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COMer

I saw the suggestion recently about how it would be a good idea to check the temperature of your trailer brakes when you stop and how using a infrared gun would do this easily.  About that time I noticed that Harbor Freight had a unit for sale at $25 (normally $60) in the local stores.  I picked one up and have tried it and think it works well (so far) and for $25, I can think of many other applications in addition to checking my brake temperatures and how consistent they are.  9V battery included .  Local sale good until 10/8.  It reads instantaneously so you can move the laser dot up, down and around to find hot spots.

I bought one the last time they were on sale and use it all the time for checking brake and tire temps. 

Have used these for years while recing sports cars.  Used it to check temp across the tread  and on the radiator to check for cool spots  when someone was having a heating problem.  Great tool to have on board,

Bill Dane

99 CC Allure

And they are pretty darn accurate, I compared mine to a Fluke at the shop and it tracks right with the Fluke.  I keep the HF in the TV.

Can I assume this item may also be used from testing whether my roof AC is cooling properly, by directing the beam into the output register?  I, too, have been generally well pleased with Harbor Freight merchandise.

My unit says that it reads down to -20C which should handle that job.  Do you know what the output should be? 

There was a poster last week that said he used his for checking the propane level in his tank.

Dave

We also use ours to check the input air and the output air temperatures of our basement air conditioning.....

Sounds like there are many good applications for a $24.99 tool.  It is on sale for another two weeks.

The only thing it's not good for according to the packaging is to check body temperature because it checks the skin temperature and not the internal temperature. 

Marc L said:
The only thing it's not good for according to the packaging is to check body temperature because it checks the skin temperature and not the internal temperature. 
If you stick it in your ear you'll get a pretty accurate body temperature.  That's how most medical offices take temps today, in the ear.

Ned said:
If you stick it in your ear you'll get a pretty accurate body temperature.  That's how most medical offices take temps today, in the ear.

If I stick it in my ear, I won't be able to see the display  :p

Mine retains the display for about 5 seconds after pushing the button.

I tried sticking it in my ear and noticed the laser dot on the far wall.  Is there a problem?

COMer said:
I tried sticking it in my ear and noticed the laser dot on the far wall.  Is there a problem?

Nothing you can't fix with a cork.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom