Infrared thermometer at Harbor Freight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't find a cork to fit, so I use a mirror  :(

Tom said:
I couldn't find a cork to fit, so I use a mirror  :(

Taking the ears out of the equation......  When you point an infrared thermometer at a mirror, do you get the temperature of the mirror or the temperature of the thermometer? ???

aka Porky said:
Taking the ears out of the equation......  When you point an infrared thermometer at a mirror, do you get the temperature of the mirror or the temperature of the thermometer? ???

Yes.

Things that can be checked with the infared thermometer:

Tire temps
Wheel bearing temps
Brake temps
Radiator temps
Oil cooler temps
Exhaust temps
Surface temps on almost anything
Temp of the portable outdoor shower water bag
Bar-b-que grill temps
Oven temps
Output temps of cooling or heating air
Hot water temps (must be running)
Air leaks (hot or cold air encroaching)
Window temps
Quality of insulation (or lack of)
AC components temps
AC ducting temps
Fridge temps
Icebox temps
fan motor bearing temps (or other motor bearings as well)
Electrical component temps (useful in tracking shorting wires -- hot spot is the short)
Battery case temp (very hot or very cold batteries perform differently)
Road surface temps

And a host of other things...  If you can point it, it will record a temp.

glfredrick said:
Things that can be checked with the infared thermometer:

And a host of other things...  If you can point it, it will record a temp.

Could you point it at Jan 22 2011 and see what the temperature of Quartzite will be ?
Thanx
Dave  :p

And to think that I wondered if this topic would draw any interest and almost didn't start it.  Go figure.

I've wanted one for years, the only thing that concerns me is it's from harbor freight (horrible freight) but if everyone thinks it worth it I'll break down and get one.

I've wanted one for years, the only thing that concerns me is it's from  harbor freight (horrible freight) but if everyone thinks it worth it  I'll break down and get one.

Mine hasn't stopped working yet.

And to think that I wondered if this topic would draw any interest and almost didn't start it.  Go figure.

We're easily amused, like a cat chasing a laser pointer.

Wannabfree:

76 Degrees F.  Winds North by Northwest.

Now that's based on no more Shuttle flights..., and of course if Mercury does not change orbit.

Yeah...  With HF, it is always caveat emptor -- buyer beware.  The infa-red temp probe is one of the things that works.

I generally avoid anything with a motor, anything that requires critical tolerances, and anything that might harm me or something if it breaks, which eliminates about half their product line.  Otherwise, their warranty is as good as Craftsman and their tools are about equivalent in quality, some imported from the same place, a small drill press for example.  I have one and have given away several as gifts because they work.  http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html  With a 20% off coupon (often available) the thing only costs about $39.95.  The identical model is sold by Sears and lists for over $150.  Only difference I can see are the better stickers on the Sears model.

They also sell a small digital multi-meter for about $2.00.  I pick them up and stick them in every vehicle and give them away to friends who are always trying to borrow mine.  I have the good stuff also -- Fluke, Snap On, etc., but these little cheap units work great for troubleshooting on the road and no biggie if they get lost or broken.  Right now, they are giving them away free...  http://www.harborfreight.com/free-multimeter-web.html

I like their ball-joint press, which is often on sale for $29.95 -- I carry one in my off-road truck because it does a great job on u-joints as well, and we shatter those often when we are doing some of the radical rock crawling events. 

For the Canucks or those traveling North of the 45th, Canadian Tire has 2 different models for 99$ regular, but often come on sale closer to 30$.

I got this one made by Mastercraft (Canadian Tire's brand)

They also sell this one made by Black and Decker.

The model Marc L referenced in the previous post (Black and Decker) goes on sale tomorrow (Friday) morning for $34.99 at Canadian Tire.

I was in Harbor Freight yesterday, and found a small IR thermometer for $9.99, and a larger one with a laser pointer for $19.99. Pretty fair price, I'd say.

What is the effective distance one will work? I almost bought one today at Lowes. I was thinking of using it not only for the normal stuff but also to check the temperature of some of the hot pool and geyser runoffs. We've so many people trying to stick their hands into the runoff. Maybe showing them some temps might slow them down. Besides, I, too, would be interested in those temps.

I have read temps of ground surfaces 20 feet or so ahead, while walking the dog. Concerned about his paws. Seems OK, but it's pretty much intuitive, as well. (Asphalt hotter than grass.)  ::) ::) ::)  Duh! Simple minds can find amazing ways to entertain themselves.  :p 

Ray D  :)

Back
Top Bottom