Winnebago Service / Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tourmaster

When visiting Winnebago for service are people allowed to have the refrigerator on gas operation while the service work is being done on the motor home.
I have not been able to get a straight answer on this. All they say is to refer to the letter that was sent with the service date.

The letter says to remove all perishables.

Does this mean that I need to arrive for service with an empty refrigerator and have it turned off?
The refrigerator is not one of the service items.

I know of other people that have been there for service with a full refrigerator.

I had a windshield replaced a few years back. I never turned off or unloaded the refer. I think it would depend on if anything they were doing had to do with the propane system, or was going to have some welding done.  I would play it by ear.

But.........should something happen that cuts electric or gas to your frig....Winnebago will not cover the loss of food or the clean up.  Think of your letter from Winnebago as a 'release of damage and liabilty' statement.

I also would be watching to make sure they don't park me near any coach that's having work done around fuel tanks, propane tanks, acetylene tanks, etc...etc.

I found that when I was at HWH for service, I could leave the frig on when they first started working on the coach.  When they moved me to another spot near some welding tanks, I turned off the frig.  It kept the food just fine for over 5 hours.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I think we will go light on food and as Sarge suggested play it by ear.
We can stop at Bill?s Family Food on the way out of town.

ua40j I like your comment on the letter. I hadn't thought of it that way.

That disclaimer is pretty standard in larger RV shops (ones that have lawyers).  They won't turn your power or LP off unless they need to, but won't be responsible if anything happens either.  When I take my rig to Lazydays for service, they make me initial the line that says "no perishables", but we always leave the fridge on anyway. So far...

Your fridge would be fine even with power off for a work day as long as the doors stays closed (and it isn't 110 degrees out.)  In fact, if you load it up with food and get it down to temperature a couple of days before service, you will have more cold mass and less air space which is a good thing.  We never give the fridge a second thought when in for service.

All,

I didn't have any worries, either, until ...I had it in for service, and the shop guys were gone for a week at the King Fish Tournament...and, for some reason, the propane hicupped...fridge went off, and didn't come back on.  :mad:  Propane still has a quarter tank.  We keep it plugged in at home, and DW keeps it loaded like we are going to Alaska any minute.  So stacks of ribeyes, burgers, hotdogs, and, yes, even a small turkey...and who knows what else stewed for several days in our 90+ weather.  :-[

Well, they cleaned it out, and apologized profusely (it was not their fault), but I'm still fighting the smell.  I'm winning, but it's a chore.  I'm sure it's easier than the initial clean-out!  :eek:

As others said, pack light...especially if you are leaving it far any length of time.

THutch said:
I didn't have any worries, either, until ...I had it in for service, and the shop guys were gone for a week at the King Fish Tournament...and, for some reason, the propane hicupped...fridge went off, and didn't come back on.

Little different situation if you are leaving the coach at a dealer for service.  I would have an empty fridge in that situation.  The OP was specifically asking about factory service.  They take your coach at 7am and return it at 3pm.  Once in a great, great while, they will have to keep the coach overnight, but you would most likely know about that beforehand so you could make arrangements for a room.  They are really good about protecting and taking care of your unit.  We had tile added and had to spend two or three nights in a motel room, it all worked out quite well.

Factory service in F C told us they had a fridge to move our food to if needed...they were great to work with!

Yes they do!  No problem with the fridge when factory service is taking care of you - last month they resealed our cooling unit which meant they had to completely empty the fridge.  All of the contents were moved to their shop freezer/fridge, and then reloaded back to our fridge.

I asked that question to the tec who picked up my coach on the very first day at 7:30.  Not so much for the fridge but also inverter, etc.  He said the very first thing he does when he take it in the back is to plug it in.  Never had a problem.

maverickbbd said:
I asked that question to the tec who picked up my coach on the very first day at 7:30.  Not so much for the fridge but also inverter, etc.  He said the very first thing he does when he take it in the back is to plug it in.  Never had a problem.

thats a good sign, if its just that then it could be eaiser than first thought

Back
Top Bottom