'03 Fleetwood Bounder - no brake lights in towing wiring - need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvleemin

Hi,
I have a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder 35r.  I was checking the lights on my toad, and found out that the brake lights aren't working on the toad.  The brake lights do work on the motorhome.  I hooked up the toad to another vehicle, and the brake lights work on it, so I know that the issue is not the wiring in the toad.

Next I checked the wiring on the rv right at the connection.  When the brake is pressed, there is no power sent.  Both signal lights and the tail lights work.  I traced the wiring about 6 feet under the rv to a connection.  I disconnected it, and did another test, and got the same results - both signal lights work as does the tail light.

I was not able to trace it any further than that.  I'm assuming that there is some sort of relay, but when I look in the engine compartment it is very difficult to determine what wiring and/or relay would be for the tow wiring. 

So does anyone have any ideas on what to do?  Do you know where the tow wiring ends up?  Is there a relay?

Thanks,

Darryl

I had a similar problem and found that the MH connections were corroded.  I used a spray contact cleaner and some sand paper to fix it.  You might check the actually wires that go to the connections.  I clip one wire of the volt meter to the ground.  The other volt meter wire/probe has a needle like end on it which allows me to  pierce the wire without having to strip it to check the voltage.

There may be one other possibility too. If those lights never worked, then perhaps the Coach wiring was not set up for the wiring needed on your toad. The brake light wiring  systems have varied over the years. Your best bet would be a chassis wiring diagram if you can find one.

If all else fails, identify the correct wire on the MH plug/socket and connect it directly to the MH brake wire. (at the MH brake light housing). That is how they are actually connected in any case.
Ernie

sluggermike said:
I had a similar problem and found that the MH connections were corroded.  I used a spray contact cleaner and some sand paper to fix it.  You might check the actually wires that go to the connections.  I clip one wire of the volt meter to the ground.  The other volt meter wire/probe has a needle like end on it which allows me to  pierce the wire without having to strip it to check the voltage.

Its not a contact issue - I traced it back past the contacts.

Alfa38User said:
There may be one other possibility too. If those lights never worked, then perhaps the Coach wiring was not set up for the wiring needed on your toad. The brake light wiring  systems have varied over the years. Your best bet would be a chassis wiring diagram if you can find one.

I agree.  Having trouble finding one though . . .

Ernie n Tara said:
If all else fails, identify the correct wire on the MH plug/socket and connect it directly to the MH brake wire. (at the MH brake light housing). That is how they are actually connected in any case.
Ernie

It's not connected to the brake light housing . . . I traced it back and all the wires run towards the front of the motorhome.

It maybe in your best interest to just run a new set of wiring to the rear of your MH. That way you will know all is well. Most times it is much cheaper than trying to chase down a problem.

Just a suggestion. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom