Camper work, need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremyintexas

New, questions.....
Howdy y'all. I'm new, I just got a 2000 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. It has some water damage on the front left-hand side. The damage is luckily not leaking inside only in the outer walls. A piece of fiberglass fell off in that area due to the wood getting wet. After getting some estimates that blew my mind my father and I decided to tackle it alone. Yesterday we disassembled the front area near the hitch where it was a little loose as well, there was just a little bad wood there too. Anyway, we re-framed everything that needs to be re-framed and now the issue is -

1. how to remove the top part of the siding/fiberglass along the side of the camper.... most of the siding was held on by screws along the seams but on the top where the siding and roof meets, there is no screws I can find only a small gutter and nothing I can see holding it on. So how do I get this area apart?

2. Where to get replacement fiberglass or whatever that siding is made out of for a reasonable price. Any idea what that reasonable price will be?

3. What type of glue adhesive to I use to reattach the siding

4. what about a good sealant to put along the seams once I reinstall everything.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Jeremy

Welcome to The RV Forum, Jeremy. Sounds like you have a big project ahead of you.

The manufacturer builds up the sidewalls as a composite, vacuum bonding the layers together using industrial grade adhesives. I don't know what actual material Jayco uses for the outer skin - maybe they would tell you if you called. "Filon" is one common brand name of the sidewall skin, but there are others.  Finding a piece of it to use in a repair may be a challenge, though. The stuff is sold in industrial size lots to major manufacturers and is not generally available on the retail market.  We have a list of RV salvage dealers in theRESOURCES section - maybe one of them has some filon on hand. They get a lot of surplus stuff from RV manufacturers.

Filon is a tradename of a material produced by the Kemlite division of Crane Composites.
http://www.kemlite.com/cranecomposites/PDFs/6298_fil_tech.pdf

I have no idea how the roof and sidewalls are attached. Sorry I can't hep you with that.

Jeremy, just a thought, but I would be a little reluctant to disrupt that top seam/seal myself.  I assume we are talking about where the side panal meets the roof.  Is it possible to leave that intact and maybe cut the siding, horizontally, about 3 or 4" down and slip the new siding under that lip?  It would seem to be an easier task to make a water tight and visually acceptable seam there than to try to reconstruct the whole upper edge seam.  Just the ramblings of an old man.

aka Porky said:
Jeremy, just a thought, but I would be a little reluctant to disrupt that top seam/seal myself.  I assume we are talking about where the side panal meets the roof.  Is it possible to leave that intact and maybe cut the siding, horizontally, about 3 or 4" down and slip the new siding under that lip?  It would seem to be an easier task to make a water tight and visually acceptable seam there than to try to reconstruct the whole upper edge seam.  Just the ramblings of an old man.
You know, I actually like your idea! Seems like it would make a lot more sense to leave that top seam alone. I'll probably do just that. Thank you for your advice porky! I got so fixated on getting the seam loose I never let my mind wander into alternatives.

You might try a body shop that repairs RVs for a source of material and advice. If they know insurance isn't paying for it, they may be willing to help with siding and adhesive source.

Back
Top Bottom