$40/mo unlimited data plan w/ no contract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alex, how extensive is Virgin Mobile's coverage?

Plus what type of contract is required, we can only be in the US for six months, can we put it to sleep, bring it with us to Canada, or buy it in six month increments?  Or do you know any of the above?

Ed

@ned - VM uses the sprint network, so rural coverage is not as good as verizon, but better than ATT.
IMHO, vzw cannot ignore this kind of pricepoint for too long... Or can they?

@ed - no contract!  You prepay for 30 days at a time.

We've used Virgin Mobile phones (pay as you go) for several years.  Service is good where Sprint is good, etc.  I did try the BroadBand2Go card in an area where the cell service was not too good.  I got better service with the card and assume that it isn't the same towers or there is something different about it.  The plan is well thought out and great for travelers since there is no contract and you can go in and out of the plan as you are traveling.  The unlimited feature would be a great competitive point, I think.

Alex, thanks.  I'm right now tethered to my Droid on VZW with unlimited data for $30/month.  I hope it lasts :)

Does anybody know what kind of speeds we can expect with this coverage?  So far it sounds great.

Just FYI -- The unlimited data plan is now live on their website:
http://j.mp/9iEJ3v

just check site
but could not figure out if with the MiFi - coverage is ALL of North America or not

Rogers is offering a plan (not unlimited) that covers you here in Canada OR if you're in the US

regards, pdq

There is a coverage map on the web site here.  The 3G coverage is somewhat limited, especially in the west, but if it covers the places you go, it's a good deal.

I just spoke with someone at Virgin after going over their Web site.  It's certainly cheaper than Verizon, but the coverage is not as complete (judging by their coverage map), but the rep at Virgin insists that they are growing and that over time their coverage will improve.  However they do charge for their MIFI adaptors, $149 for the larger unit and $79 for the flash drive sized unit.  Add tax if you are paying with a debit or credit card and it comes out to almost $44 per month. Still though, it's certainly cheaper than Verizon.  Perhaps this newcomer to the market will bring the prices down all the way around...

BTW, Google just opened "Google Voice" up to anyone.  It looks kinda complicated but amazing too.  This seems like it will shift the "phone" technology playing field like a moderate earthquake.  A "free" phone number that can be called and will ring on any or all phones that you designate.  Free calls anywhere in the US/Ca... $.02/minute calls to the rest of the planet.  I don't get it but it sounds interesting.  Automatic transcription of phone messages into an email?  Route calls from preferred callers to a particular phone?  www.google.com/voice.

Google also is adding free phone calling to their Chat application.  If you use Gmail, it's on the Chat menu in the left sidebar.

Luca1369 said:
but the rep at Virgin insists that they are growing and that over time their coverage will improve. 

And Verizon is growing and their coverage will also improve.

Virgin Mobile doesn't have any network of their own, they resell Sprint, so their coverage is the same as Sprint but without any roaming.

Skype.com has always had free phone, but for some reason (no idea why)  I've found that many Americans aren't familiar with it. I was skeptical too, when I learned about it in the Caribbean years ago.

It's great, I am in touch with my friends in the Caribbean, Europe, Canada and New Zealand, all for free, as well as a few American friends (hard as heck to get folks to sign up for it!)  It comes with tons of options and you can still call the non Skype folks for ridiculously cheap pennies.

The new calling from Gmail is free to any phone in the US or Canada.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom