2001 Newmar Diesel Puller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Front diesels have made a comeback with the Freightliner FRED chassis and most owners love theirs. Of course, they moved up from front gas, so front noise & heat aren't an issue. Universally, though, everyone prefers a rear engine for quiet and less heat  up front.

What chassis and engine is it? I did not think the Freightliner FRED (front diesel) chassis was available in 2001.

We are considering a 2001 Newmar Mountain Arie Diesel Puller - front engine.  Anyone have any experience with a rig like this? Engine noise, ride, whatever??

IIRC, 2001 Newmar Mountain Aires had either front gas engine models on Ford or Workhorse chassis or diesel pushers on Freightliner or Spartan chassis. I don't think anyone made a diesel pusher puller then.

The owner of the rig told me it is on a Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 225 Diesel and a 4 speed Allison Trans.

NADA shows such a model but I didn't remember it. IIRC, it was a major departure for Newmar and it didn't connect and was dropped. Seemed like a neat coach, but many years ahead of it's time.

From what I have read about it, I think you will be unimpressed with that low power diesel and 4 speed tranny, but I've never driven one myself.  Probably a stronger performer than the gas engine puller they had in 2001, though. The greater low end torque of the diesel is always a plus vs gas, but compared to the pusher models of the same year its likely wimpy.

Back
Top Bottom