2010 Acadia - towing (AWD vs FWD)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fwdvsawdacadia

Hello

I'm looking for advice.  I looking into purchasing a 2010 Acadia SLE-2 with the tow package, simply because I have a hybrid trailer (2,900lbs).  Should I purchase an AWD or will the FWD work.

It's a nice SUV. Chevy Acadia (that Gary has) and Buick Enclave. Hopefully, Gary will see this discussion and jump in.

The OP is referring to the GMC version of the Lamba platform of SUVs from GM (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave).  It has the 280 HP 3.6L V6 and is a transverse mount FWD platform with an AWD option.

I think the OP is asking about using the Acadia to tow a trailer, vs. towing the Acadia itself.  I have no experience with that model, but in general I would think while capable, the FWD would be lacking if you wanted to tow on anything other than dry flat pavement.  I would opt for AWD, but again, I've no experience with that model.

I'm looking to purchase a GMC Acadia.  My dilema is, should I purchase an AWD or a FWD.  I'll be pulling a trailer (2,900lbs, dry weight) with it.  All comments are much appreciated.

I've always liked the Acadia's. The specs say it has a towing capacity of #4,500, regardless of version (AWD or FWD), which  should do you fine. That being said, I would opt for the AWD, you never know when you'll need that extra grip. I've had 4WD on just about every truck I've had, and I know I've had to use 4x4 on more than a few occasions when I didn't expect to (i.e. not for just fun or adventuring when I knew I would need it).

I've never had an AWD vehicle, but I've heard they can also be more stable around curves and just overall better in rain and other non-ideal conditions.

Tho I am obviously no expert on Acadiae, it would appear that the GMC Acadia comes with a tow rating of 4500 lbs regardless of whether it is FWD or AWD per Trailer Life's, tow rating tables.  [Without the towing package it sinks to 2000 lbs!] 

You give a dry weight for that trailer of 2900 lbs.  That is almost useless for judging towability.  Use the trailer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) which is the unit UVW plus its cargo carrying capacity.  Allowing 10% for truck loads (like a hitch mechanism and passengers) that trailer GVWR should be below 4050 lbs .

If you tow in the mountain or Pacific west, you are going to have allow for altitudes and long steep grades.  Gas engines lose 3% of rated HP for every 1000 ft of altitude.  Allow 20% for that and keep the trailer GVWR below 3600 lbs.

The FWD drive Acadia (and its sisters) has extremely good road manners and excellentbrakes. I've pulled a 2000 lb trailer with mine, maybe a total of 250 miles, and it didn't even breath hard, running at interstate speeds or stopping. That was basically flat lands, though. No factory tow package either, just the receiver hitch and ball. I don't think the AWD adds anything to towing, but the factory tow package does up the rating. I assume that adding an aftermarket tranny cooler could accomplish the same end, but I didn't bother caus eI don't tow anything big.

We are pulling a 4300 lb 26 ft Heartland Edge with an 09 Buick Enclave AWD with tow package. I have also installed an external trans cooler, and a Reese sway control hitch. I am more than pleased with the setup. The Acadia has a tow rating of 5200 lbs, higher than the 4500 lbs of the Enclave. You should have no problem, but make sure you get one with a tow package.

Camr -

I tow with a 2009 Enclave as well.  Can you provide any further details on the model of transmission cooler and installation location?  I tow a Trailmanor that weighs 3400 lbs. loaded, and have not had problems, but would like to add additional tranny cooling to be on the safe side.

fwdvsawdacadia:

Not sure of the Acadia, but many of these small GMC vehicles use the Versatrak AWD system.  This is NOT a full-time AWD system.  This system sends power to the rear wheels ONLY when the front wheels are losing traction.  Works fine for pulling out of a slippery situation in low gear.  However, I doubt it will ever function once you get rolling.  The front wheels have to spin significantly faster than the rear ones for the AWD to kick in.  One is not likely to push a vehicle to that point at highway speeds.

We have Versatrak on both our 04 Vue, and our 02 Silhouette.  The full time AWD of our old 97 Astro was superior.

You should be considering 4wd vs 2wd, and choosing a vehicle that offers that.  If you are towing and need the traction, 4wd is superior.  It works just as well at highway speeds as in low gear.

We live in Canada, and we winter camp.  I wouldn't do it without a 4wd vehicle.  This not only improves your pulling, but also your braking.  4wd vehicles typically lock the front and rear axles together through the transfer case.  This prevents the front wheels from locking up before the rear ones do.  It also distributes engine braking over all 4 wheels.  That is important coming down a snowy grade with a trailer on.  I know.  :)

Frank.

Bigbit,
The unit was installed by a trusted transmission shop. It is a 22000 lb rating Trucool Thinline. The owner of the transmission shop told me that it was very important to get one that has a bypass on it, as below -20C the fluid can gel. I asked him if the bypass was temperature regulated or pressure regulated and he told me that it was pressure regulated. I think this means that if the fluid gels and the pressure rises to a determined point, a bypass valve opens. The cooler was mounted in front of the AC condenser. It is visible through the front grill.
With the tow/haul system active, the transmission does not shift into 6th gear. It will hold in 5th gear until it gets to a hill, where it will downshift to 4th. I have yet to have it shift lower than 4th, but I have not pulled any serious grades with it yet.
I believe Frank is correct that the vehicle will be FWD unless slippage is detected.

2009 Acadias (build date after October 2008), and later with factory tow package are now rated at 5200 pounds tow rating.  I pull a cub 235 hybrid with mine with sway bar, weight distribution hitches with no problem so far.  Trailer weight loaded is around 4800 pounds, but I never carry water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom