Mis-fire and loss of power with 8.1L Vortec in Workhorse W 32 Chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teambrownracing

I have a Dolphin Class A Motorhome on a Workhorse W32 Chassis.  Two weeks ago, while pulling a 4000 lb trailer, it started losing power and making a noise (maybe backfire through the intake manifold) when ever I applied full throttle.  The coach has 48000 milles.  I first replaced the fuel filter and then took the coach to a Chevrolet Dealer with Workhorse credentials.  They checked fuel pressure, both catalitic converters, air cleaner, engine codes, and loose plug wires and returned it with a "cannot duplicate problem".  On the way home the problem repeated.  The problem presents itself when demanding full power (full throttle) at between 3000 and 4000 RPM.  As long as the unit is running between 2000 and 3000 RPM with moderate throttle everything appears normal.  I have not noticed any overheating or unusual consumption of gasoline or oil.  Does anyone have any ideas where to look?
Thank you in advance for your comments.
Jim

It sounds to me that its going lean at that power demand, the tech. should be able to hook up a computer and drive it to duplicate the conditions,>>>Dan

If you Gradually accelerate part throttle will it go over 3k rpms?Is it only under hard acceleration when  it does this. almost sounds like a bad coil

In answer to the question regarding "gradual application of the throttle", the answer is yes.  If you gradually apply the throttle or when taking off from a dead stop in first second and third the motor will readily spin over 3000 RPM however it does seem to have a slight hesitation around 3000 RPM and I haven't seen it go to maximum (about 4500 RPM).  One of the things I had to do a couple of weeks ago is pull a 16% grade with the trailer attached for about 150 yards.  It settled back to 2000 RPM and went up the grade very slowly but it seemed to be touch and go.  This is a grade it has pulled very well in the past.
Thank you for your comments,  Jim

Jim,
We are driving an older 26 foot Winnie that is experiencing these molar similar issues as yours back in 2010.  Did you figure out the problem?

We are en route to Burning man and have a ways to go.  Hope you can help. 

Lynn

I would check this: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm_icm_dist/distributor_ign_module_1.php

I have had the same symptons with both a 454 and a Ford 460 aT 50-60k miles and both were spark plug wires breaking down because of exposure to the high heat of an RV. Replace the plugs and harness with the best you can find and for 10-15 bucks more replace the distributor cap and rotor if you have them.

I previously experienced the same as Jeff with a 454 in both a coach and a boat. In both cases I opened the engine cover (or hatch) and things were lit up like a Christmas tree, especially when the engine was under load (going uphill or coming out of the hole). Good quality replacement ignition wires was the fix in both cases, and I replaced the distributor caps for good measure.

I had a similar experience on my Workhorse W22 8.1  It was caused by a burnt plug wire.  Burnt plug wires are a common problem on Workhorse units.  You might want to check yours and replace any of them that are bad.

I had the same problem/symtoms last spring. The first thing I checked was the plugs and plug wires. Plug wires were good, but I found 3 cracked insulators on the plugs and 4 or 5 plugs showed signs of blow-by around the insulator. Replaced the plugs and have not had a problem since.

Hi All
I also have a w-32 workhorse chassis (Damon Daybreak)with an 8.1L chevy.  I am experiencing the same problem.  I am from the Rochester,NY area and I am now in Chattanooga, TN.  I hope I am going to make it back.  I have had mine into several different repair shops all with different opinions and after spending about $1200 bucks I still have the problem. While staying at my current location one of the other RVers suggested that the engine computer may be going bad.  It only malfunctions when hot (driving for about 50 miles).  I have no idea where to take it or how to proceed.  Can anyone help?

howard745

Back
Top Bottom