RV Forum Caravan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
Has anyone ever thought about doing an RV Forum Caravan?  Seems to me that it could be a lot of fun. 

I envision a caravan where there is no fee and we would stay in state & national park campgrounds.  Each person pays there own way.  We could take turns at being tail gunners and leaders.  It would require someone to be an organizer who would put together an itinerary. 

How many people would be interested?

I would be interested, I would think that if it got big enough that state parks and such would be a problem with accommodations. I know some make reservations and some don't but the idea sounds intriguing.

Would be a great way to meet fellow RV Forum members.

To expand on that idea, how about a resident of each state traveled, is the leader of the caravan thru that state and so forth.>>>Dan :)

Wendy, snow in Utah in April is something, I don't know if you call it a caravan though.  George, timing and location would govern us.  So, that means us Canadians couldn't attend if it were too early in the fall or too late in the spring, since your uncle Sam kicks us out after 6 months.  Maybe we could do it next spring and summer, and include the Maritimes as was discussed in another string.

Ed

That sounds like fun, even I might be up for that one.  I will watch to see if it happens. 8) :p

I didn't have any particular geography or time frame in mind.  Just kind of a general question to see what people thought. 

Would definately be interested in that.  I've read about Caravans, but the professionally organized ones are terribly expensive (in my opinion).  This could be lots of fun.

Sheila

Road Rallies, aka Traveling rallies, can indeed be fun. The Forum Hop, Skip & Jump rallys were of that ilk.  Just need somebody to act as Wagonmaster and set up the itinerary. And make sure the campgrounds selected will have enough room for everybody - nothing worse than having part of your group turned away!

I'm interested and would be willing to provide some routing and logistics planning for Northern New Mexico, southern Colorado...

Ron Ruward led a spur of the moment caravan up through his favorite WY places after one of the centermost rallies in the late 90's. I joined them for the first stop, touring the steam locomotive repair center in Cheyenne WY. My mean partners made me go back to work, missing the rest of a good trip.

We're like to go, but decided that we do not want to drive over 2000 miles again to meet up with a caravan.  As we are doing right now.  But if it was closer to home and the time of year was good for us Canadians, we certainly would be interested.

A northern and a southern caravan would help the Canadiens.  They could do Winnipeg, Montreal, Quebec, while the southern does a cross country.  Mix the pictures into one album.  Virtual campfires in the evening.

OK Bill, it may not be the 2,000 miles that Ruth was objecting to, but what you are suggesting is they start at Winnipeg, which is about 1,300 miles, then another 1,600 miles to Quebec.  And you haven't hit the Maritimes which could add another 800 miles (no Newfoundland & Labrador), and so far no one posting who resides in any of those area to act as host.

Ed

This thread is starting to remind me of my IBM days. :) 

We used to let Engineers and programmers write the functional specifications for machines (in total secrecy) and then pay salesmen big bucks to convince potential customers that with a few modifications, added features and tons of on-site support, that it would actually help solve their problems.  The result was many great solutions to non-problems.

First define the objectives (objectively) and then if the caravan isn't appropriate blame George change the plan.

It seems to me that either the starting point or the end point (or both) has to have some common appeal before a caravan becomes practical.

An example might just be several (Westerners/Easterners) meeting up to travel via caravan to an (Eastern/Western) Rally.

I think a great USA circular route caravan, picking up and dropping off participants along the way would be a great trip experience, but would take humongous dedication and planning.  Can you imagine the anticipation of waiting for the caravan to reach your "boarding" location and then the fun in following the caravans progress (via the forum) after you "dropped off"?

Just the ramblings of an old man. 

Depending on the timing, we would definitely be up for something like this.  Especially since we are RV newbies, it would be great fun and provide a great sense of community!

Ray and Jean (& Greyla the black lab)

Hoping to buy our RV very soon!

Here are my "old man" thoughts.

Let us assume a 20 RV caravan:  Before I would even consider it I would need to know the starting point. Then who will decide, with some form of unison, the actual route; mostly interstate, lots of rural roads, (best views), where to stop for breaks etc. etc.

I can imagine a long caravan traveling the scenic routes, especially through small towns. Actually, I cannot imagine that.

How about communicating while en route? i.e. breakdowns, accidents, refueling stops, etc.

I think I will bow out.

Enough of this negative talk, carson.... ;D

I like my individuality, when touring, a lot.

Ok, pile it on.  ;)

Carson FL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom