Maybe too far gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddurfey

I went and looked at a camper for sale today and found some damage that may be a little out of my experience to fix.  On the back left corner, theres a lot of wood rot under the siding.  The current owner picked this camper up a month ago and I don't think he realized it had the rot until after he bought it.  There is a roof leak that ruined one peice of paneling in the front, that was ovious damage.  I didn't notice this rot until after looking underneath at the holding tanks, I saw the siding was unstapled and when I pulled it back I saw the rot.  It even looks like the bottom plate of the 2x4 framing is cracked and sagged down about 3/8" where it joins the stell frame on the very back corner.  Whats the easiest way to fix something like this, take all teh vent plates and window frames off and fix from teh outisde or take teh interior paneling down and go from the inside?  Its a shame this happened because the rest of the camper is in really good shape for a 1979.  Anybody out there tackle anything like this?

There is no "easy" way to fix it.  It is a MAJOR repair on a unit that old.  If you have the time and the price is right, it can be done but it will be bigger than you anticipate.  Sounds like you would have to remove the siding and then start replacing everything that has been damaged.  I did a job like this, only smaller, and it just never seemed to stop. 

thats kinda what i thought.  i'm not scared of the task, i just don't have the time and i'm afraid it would rot away to nothing.  its a true shame somebody let it get this far because the camper otherwise is in really good shape.  it was never actually camped in, the previous owners had it in their driveway since 1979 as a "geust house" and would sit under the awning in the summer and drink.  yea well, gonna pass on this deal and keep the 1970 terry i picked up earlier in the season and keep working on it.  thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom