Preserving America's Heritage -One National Park At A Time, Cape Hatteras Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

SideRoads

The last day was as exciting as the first day!

Pictures and Slideshow on the Blog,,,,,There are no ads, nor will there be.

The tallest Lighthouse in the United States, the tallest Brick Lighthouse in the world.

The most famous light station known around the world.

Cape Hatteras Light Station

It is sad that the Government no longer supports lighthouses.  A great tradition was nearly lost, thankfully private groups have kept many lights alive.

Why have they stopped supporting the lights.. Modern navigation electronics make them obsolute.. However I still recall a day when I was helping with a "Fly High" for a charity, In this event private pilots take people up in their planes for a fly around the area in exchange for a donation to the charity.

Well. one pilot, not part of the operation, was over 150 miles west of me, and his Aircraft radios had done diodes up.  (A more polite term than TU) so he picked up his hand held self contained ham rig to radio for landing permission.. Seems the tower had failed to note the "My radio is out" pattern he was flying.  I responded.

I don't care how dessicated the ship, or even if you have redundant hardware (HE DID) it can fail.... and that light might make the difference between "Well, good night captain I'll fix that radio in the morning when the parts store opens" and "Glub, Glub Glub"

The US still has about 657 Lighthouses.

451 are still maintained by the US Coast Guard, and considered navigational aids,,,,albeit secondary, but officially, nav aids.

Michigan has the most lighthouses with 99 remaining.

At one time there were about 1500 lighthouses.......The US attempts to transfer them to state, local or non-profits.......as historical sites.

All is not lost.

One of our most memorable trips was toodling down the Oregon coast stopping at each and every lighthouse. Perhaps some day we'll visit all 99 in Michigan.

Wendy

John From Detroit said:
It is sad that the Government no longer supports lighthouses.  A great tradition was nearly lost, thankfully private groups have kept many lights alive.

Why have they stopped supporting the lights.. Modern navigation electronics make them obsolute.. However I still recall a day when I was helping with a "Fly High" for a charity, In this event private pilots take people up in their planes for a fly around the area in exchange for a donation to the charity.

Well. one pilot, not part of the operation, was over 150 miles west of me, and his Aircraft radios had done diodes up.  (A more polite term than TU) so he picked up his hand held self contained ham rig to radio for landing permission.. Seems the tower had failed to note the "My radio is out" pattern he was flying.  I responded.

I don't care how dessicated the ship, or even if you have redundant hardware (HE DID) it can fail.... and that light might make the difference between "Well, good night captain I'll fix that radio in the morning when the parts store opens" and "Glub, Glub Glub"

JFD, since I had such a difficult time correlating your entire post to the subject of "Light Houses", I didn't even attempt to figure out your reference to a "dessicated" ship. (Actually the spelling should be desiccated, meaning dried out).

Perhaps you meant decimated..

Since I have been living most of my life in National Parks the last 8 years I just would like to point out that Cape Hatteras is not a National Park, it is a National Seashore. But it is administered by the National Park Service. The NPS administers 392 sites of which only 58 are National Parks. The rest are National Monuments, National Seashores, National Lakeshores, National Battlefields etc. And with one pass you can visit them all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom