Changing air filter on Freightliner 300hp ISB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetfromtn

How hard or easy is it to change the air filter on this chassis?  The air inlet is on the side of the metal container so I think  the filter is a FARR 114880-003 or Fleetguard AH 1193.  Does the indicator reset itself after change or do I reset it?

You have to reset the indicator yourself. You can do that anytime - it will re-indicate the status the next time you start the engine.

Changing an air filter on a big diesel can be a chore. It is is big, heavy, unwieldy and often hard to get at, but it is not rocket science.  I've always paid to have it done, but am thinking about doing it myself this winter, when I do other maintenance (oil, oil filter, fuel filter, generator, etc.). But I shudder a bit when I think about it... I know it will be a struggle for this old fat man.

It's also a job that takes at least three strong arms at the same time. On my '04 with the Freightliner chassis (most Americans are Spartans), it looks like you have to loosen everything, then drop it down underneath. Reverse that with the new one. Problem is holding it up while making the air hose connections on top and back side. Looks like a two man job to me! Strapping it down after is likely easy enough.

Shop around for that filter. NAPA wanted $213, RVchassis parts.com gets $119. I bought a Baldwin locally for $140. I can get beer and lottery tickets with the difference and still by the DW a rose on the way home.

my Spartan uses the right rear bay and is a snap.>>>Dan

Mine is in the left rear corner. Easy to see and easy enough to get at the snap straps,  but awkward to lift out through the engine door. Dropping it straight down and out underneath seems easiest and no sweat to remove, but putting it backs means somebody underneath to lift it into place, while somebody else up top slides on the two air pipes and locks the retaining straps in place.  I'm thinking maybe I can cobble up some sort of jack stand to hold it up while I do the upstairs work.

The right rear access door on mine has only the jack hydraulics and the muffler. Spartan did a better job there than Freightliner.

Mine is easy except for the fact that there is a 8D house battery in the way!  So I have to unconnect that battery and pull it.  Can leave the other battery there and hooked up

Thanks guys for the replys.  On my coach the filter is in the left rear bay and is right in your face.  Looks like I might be able to do this job without screwing something up.  Don't know what filter you guys are using but I found a FARR 114880-003 at kustom-parts for $62 + shipping.

Your requirements must be vastly different than the later model coaches, for my ISC, I searched and could not get below $110.00.>>>Dan

While we're at it does everyone have that 6" flexible accordion hose from the filter to the outside pick-up grill?? I replaced it with 6" PVC , SDR35 and greatly reduced my suction pressure. 

Several of the diesel head truck guys do that in an effort to boost air flow with adding more fuel either thru a downloader or power chip. It is effective in that situation, I would be interested to know if you notice a difference in performance or turbo response.

Sarge...hard to notice since my waste gate was stuck partially open. Just fixed that and now I notice a big difference but can't blame it on the hose. The air cleaned indicator used to go almost to red before and not that I changed the hose it barely moves up. The waste gate has been frozen up since I bought it last year so I never realized the difference. I also opened up the intake box and made a plenum out of it for better airflow.

utahclaimjumper said:
Your requirements must be vastly different than the later model coaches, for my ISC, I searched and could not get below $110.00.>>>Dan

Dan

Have you tried RV Chassis Parts, the parts department of Spartan Chassis. If you are a Spartan Chassis Chapter of FMCA member you always get rally prices and free shipping for online orders. They usually have prices around the lowest in the country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom