Toilet grey water blew up. Black and Grey got bumped and drainpipe fell off.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

florida flamingo

Is it worth doing all the repairs to keep it or resell it?  I paid $4,500 on  a 1987 Toyota Cormmorant Clipper with 44,000 miles. I put $2500 into it to replace front a/c, harmonic balancer, a couple of leaks in pipes were fixed and some other minor things.  I just put 10,000 more miles on it on a wonderful cross country adventure. Great trip. I just had to drive 55-60 mph to keep 4 cyl. engine behaving and cool and it would run and start great. Even took the mountains well if I went slow and used 2nd gear, etc. Loved it all. Only got 12-14 mpg though and gas was high out west.  Cozy RV for one or two max. Fun.
Furnace doesn't start but I never used it. No generator and dual refrig was replaced with electric only. Some say the grey and black tanks need to be replaced and I wonder if they do or if I can just use them with new drain parts. I have the drain pipes that dragged along the road a bit but may be partially usable.
Because I did not have a water regulator valve intil after the fact, I sent a powerful burst of city water trough the system and created a hole h the back of toilet which sprayed water when pump was on. So I fear the plumbing may need overhaul.
ps. I also had new shocks for that price.

Whether it's worth it depends on how much you like owning this rig....

I bought a 96 Damon for half of what its book value was.. by the time I'm done remodeling it I'll have spent another $4000.00 or so on it... Worth every penny to me.. Might not be worth it at all for someone else..

As for the plumbing.. replacing a toilet is no big deal.. no harder than replacing one in your house (except the RV toilet weighs a lot less).. Replacing holding tanks can be done fairly easy on most coaches (that I've seen).. I'm having to take off the entire bottom skirt to get my water tank out so I can run wires in that cavity.. but, it still wasn't that difficult...

But again.. only you can say if it's worth the time and money to fix that thing up...

Thank you. I see your point. The trip was priceless and I enjoyed the slow drive and the b roads. I feel that as a beginner and not overly wealthy person, it may be right for me to keep this RV for a few years and use it more. Then perhaps I can sell it and trade up. I loved the journey and want to do the east coast to DC and Smokey Mts. and back next trip. I looked for wholesale tanks and found some that were about $129 each. The trick is to order the correct size and all. I appreciate any tips on this model and would love to talk to those with Toyota RVs. Thanks, Amy

I got a 1999 Bounder in Dec of last year and have only used it one time and am going to Fla next week in it . I had to replace two tires, both tv's put new shocks on it and just got it back after putting a new transmission in it. Inside and out it looks great. I plan on putting Bamboo flooring in it over the winter.  I now have about 37000.00 tied up in it. I have to keep it as i see it or loose a lot of money. Most people say take the loss and get rid of it. But I love everything about it so I will keep it. Is yours worth spending money on Thats up to you and what you want. If i liked it and could fix it I would
Just my 2 cents worth

I just got done replacing my black tank damaged during a blowout. The local dealership ordered the tank for me ($180 plus shipping). I had to buy a new set of dump valves and some black abs fittings. The more technical part was removing the old tank and detaching it from the vent lines and drain lines. You have to cut holes in the new tank and fit everything back together. I have a limited amount of plumbing experience, but it wasn't bad to do. It was a lot cheaper for me to do it compared to the estimate from the dealership.

Look at it this way: If you don't want to fix it and instead, decide to sell it, with all those problems you will likely have a hard time finding a buyer. On the other hand, if you can fix it, (especially by doing it yourself), it will be a lot easier to sell. Will you get your money back? No, maybe not, but you will be able to get more than is otherwise is possible.

Back
Top Bottom