advantages of Streets & Trips or Street Atlas over paper and Google Maps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyjigsaw

Hi all, just getting into this RV thing, having owned and travelled part time for a year now.  So far, as far as planning our drives, we do as much as possible before we leave our sticks and bricks house, but when we are on the road, we make sure to have a campsite with wifi and plan out the next day on the laptop using Google Maps, and confirming with the paper maps that we have.  We are entertaining the idea of a GPS, just for those times like when we almost went to Nebraska instead of New Mexico and took us a while to realize we were going the wrong way, but tell me about the software that many of you use:  Streets & Trips, or Street Atlas?  What is the draw?  Does it do things Google Maps/Earth doesn't?

And just an aside, who out there is surfing the net (not on a phone but on a computer) while driving, and how do you do it?  I looked into some options before our big trip last year, but the cost and the hassle were too much for me, so we decided to just go without and do our internet stuff each night at the campground.  Not to mention the fact that our laptop only has 2 hours of battery time, our hookup to the cigarette lighter doesn't seem to be functional (must look into this), and I hesitate to use the generator on the road unless it's really necessary.

Sorry, I guess there are two questions here : )

Janina

A dash board GPS like the Garmin Nuvi series are really handy when you're in unfamiliar territory - especially in larger cities!  If you get one of these devices, make sure to get one that announces the actual NAME of the upcoming street to turn onto - the earlier and cheaper models don't 'say' the actual name - it's really a big deal if you're trying to find the proper turn during traffic situations...

MS Streets and Trips allow you to 'pre plan' a route and modify it easily - I find it much easier than using Google maps off the net - and you can use the S&T as a stand alone program without interfacing with the net...you can also get the MS S&T with the GPS antenna and it will show your position as you travel - you'll need your laptop working all the time in your vehicle, however...

I also find it handy to record the GPS coordinates shown on S&T to manually enter into our Nuvi GPS unit for navigating on the road - state parks, etc...

I find it easiest to use the 'Degree.Decimal' format of GPS coordinates - it's much easier to manually enter the data in this format...

You'll have to get a propriety card for your laptop to interface with one of the mobile phone services to be able to hook to the net while on the road - not all the cheap, in less you can roll it into your phone plan...

The new Apple iPad would allow you to navigate via one of many GPS 'Apps' that are available - it uses a different data wireless G3 service that you can sign up for on a monthly basis ($15 or $25) without a contract - or you can use it at a wifi area for free, to get updated, email, etc. on the net...There's even an APP that shows ALL the public campgrounds in the USA! - I have this APP on my iTouch unit...perhaps Santa will drop a new iPad under the tree this xmas! ;D

I think the iPad like devices are the way to go, there days, as there are 1000's of new APPs to make the unit so much more functional, in a handy-sized package!

Ray

I like Streets and Trips, here are some of the reasons:
The Program with GPS is around 80 dollars. Good for planning your trips.
You tell it the time driving for each day, type of roads to use, to avoid, fuel consumption, fuel prices, it will then divide your trip into segments.
You could tell it to look for sites or POI around your destination, or 10 miles either side of the route you are likely to be at when you expect to finish for the day.
You can create multiple trips using different via points and save them in the laptop.
15"screen for the GPS on the Motorhome dash is great.
Paper maps give you a better idea of the roads you are likely to be on, by the colour and thickness of the roads, GPS can put you on gravel roads.
All map programs will give you more detail than paper maps will have.
The program will always be with you if no WIFI is available.
It is not the only tool that can do this but I find it very good. There are several map programs that will do all of the above.
There are so many resources available today. I do not to limit it to just one.
I have a small inverter for 110 power, always on for the laptop.

The biggest advantage of the software like Street and Trips and Street Atlas over the online applications like Google Maps is the ease of setting up a route.  With the placement of stops and vias, you can program your route to your preferences.  Also, there are many points of interest files available for both programs from sites like the Discovery Owners web site.

A GPS will give you much more detail than any paper map of usable size can and it good for keeping track of where you are so you don't go to Nebraska by mistake :)  Most of them are also pretty good at routing and we use ours for that purpose mostly in the truck for local trips in new areas.  On the road, we use Street Atlas with an old Garmin feeding it position data.

I'm moving this to the PC area as it will be more likely to be seen there.

T answer your question directly, a GPS unit shows you "where" you are, and what direction you are traveling at any time.  Paper maps won't do that. For what it's worth, we use both! 

For us, there is no comparison between using pre-trip planning resources and the real time tracking and guidance of a GPS.  We drive a 40' rig towing a Ford Explorer so don't want to take many wrong turns.  :)

We almost never pre-plan a route and my wife usually is punching in our destination as we pull out of the campground.  We rarely have CG reservations and use the on line capability of our dash mounted HP netbook to find CGs when we're getting ready to stop.  The netbook on the dash will serve two purposes when I get it tapped into the chassis computer to monitor all of the coaches vital signs while driving.

We run Streets & Trips on our netbook... but that's a fairly new addition.  Tom Tom has been our primary GPS.  We use Verizon USB air card for internet so always have a connection.

None of this is cheap however.  :(  It's like so many other things in RVing.  There is a continuous scale between roughing it and luxury/comfort/ease of use and people choose where they want to be on that scale for many valid reasons.

Best of luck to you.

Paper maps, Big, Bulky hard to read in the dark, can get torn or otherwise damaged.

Google Maps: Work great so long as you have a good internet connection, but in motion? Not so great.

Streets & Trips, Street Atlas, Co-Pilot et-al

Can download current construction information when you are connected tot he net so that they can warn you of things like road closings, detours and the like.

Easily folded (only one fold)

Can plan routes for you (BEWARE S&T's Defaults, Sometimes it goes down a street and sometimes.. Well, it can be a real trip (Think, acid, bad)

And all the popular map software can accept the output of a low-cost USB GPS receiver or a somewhat more expensive GARMIN or other hand held GPS and plot your current location... At least to the degree the map is right. 

The screen on my laptop (A fiarly small one) is over 2x as large (4x the area) of the best dash mount GPS I've seen....  And it's way way way way easier to pull the laptop out of the motor home, Sit down at a table (Or even a different table in the motor home) plan and adjust the route.

You asked about connectivity with the internet while on the road.  You can get an "aircard" which slips into the side of your computer from any of the wireless telephone providers:  At&t, Verizon, Sprint and I'm sure there are others I have forgotten.  It's great for going down the road and being able to get on the internet; but if you don't have cell service (bad reception) then it doesn't work.  So, it's not 100% available at all times.

As far as your battery on your lap top, if your RV has an inverter, you can turn that on and then plug into a socket which is fed by the inverter which will provide power to the computer.  Also, even though this is something you don't do, you can run the generator and use the power from it.  Most of us use our generators to run roof top air conditioners while driving.  This will also work if you decide to use "Streets and Trips" on your computer with an attached GPS.  We got a small GPS receiver that plugs into the USB port of my computer, then run Streets and Trips to show where we are.  Streets and Maps is also good for identifying campgrounds, gas stations, rest stops, restaurants around a central location (point), or other areas you will be.  It's a great tool for planning as well. 

When we are in our car, we use a GPS that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it helps with finding things. 

BTW, we still glance at a paper map every once in a while.  :D

Marsha~

If you have a Garmin (Nuvi, etc) you can get the MapSource program (I think it is supplied with the GPS unit). It is installed on the computer and you can route plan with that. You can you can plan a shortest or fastest route. You can customize the route by selecting various options (no toll roads, no U turns, no gravel roads, etc) if you don't like the route it has given you, you can customize the route for your needs. If you are curious about a route or a campground you can zoom in on a particular place or road on the MapSource route and then click to view it in Google earth. Then...when you are satisfied with the route you can download it directly to the Garmin GPS unit. One other thing I do is if we want to stop and sight see after we have gotten to the campground I put in all the way points of the places we want to see and use the Nuvi in the toad ( DW likes to visit the Wineries in the Mission Peninsula in Michigan for example). The one disadvantage is that it wont give you a truck route although they do have a truckers GPS, but the reviews on it are not very good. I do my route planning on the Mapsource program and then download it to my Nuvi(1390T). I then go to the AAA site and duplicate the route to see what the construction on the route looks like. Garmin has a offer to update the MapSource program (for the GPS and computer forever for about $100) and their help desk, which is really great people are in Kansas and they all speak the Kings English ;D

I guess we travel differently from a lot of others. I do little pre-planning. We are always changing routing and destinations. This past summer we knew we were going to be in Redmond, OR for the FMCA convention and everything else was up for grabs. We have some friends in Palm Desert so decided to stop there first. I have cousins in the LA/Santa Clarita valley, so that turned into our next destination. Then Tom mentioned that we would be passing near him so we spent an enjoyable and unexpected stay in the Lodi area. Then, contrary to our original thinking, we decided to drive up into Oregon via the I-5 corridor, which we had never done before, instead of the coast route. We knew we would stop in Silverton, OR for a while because we like the area and the campground, then on to Redmond.

There is no way we could have planned all this on our S&T or Garmin. I'll generally take a look at the computer map the nite before to get some idea of where we might head and stopping points. We always stop in the first state tourist bureau after we cross a state line. Marlene checks the tourist books and CoC info for interesting things happening along the way and we may modify our plans accordingly.  In the morning I turn on the Garmin (I have the 465t trucker version and find it far superior to those negative reviews) and plug in a city or campground to which we may head. Once underway, that may change a couple of times, but we play it loose.

We have friends who travel with complete itineraries and reservations before leaving home. Not our style and we have a lot less stress.

We use it all. I love paper maps, there's just something about holding a map in your hand, planning and then following your route (or change of route). The laptop with S&T is great for planning and calculating mileage. And the GPS is great for giving you by-the-moment directions. Plus you can't do a DeLorme geocaching challenge without the DeLorme paper map books !

Wendy

We have friends who travel with complete itineraries and reservations before leaving home. Not our style and we have a lot less stress.

I'm with you Bernie!  Why do people want to plan everything down to the gnat's eyelash?  To me, that takes away all the fun of finding unexpected treasures.  What happens if they come across something they want to see?  Do they stop and see it or pass it by because they have a reservation somewhere down the road?  Some of our very best times were when we changed direction because of something like the weather that we didn't like.

We have a AAA U.S.A. map and last year I took post-it notes and wrote on them for each state where we have friends or family.  Once in a while we look at it and decide we're close enough to call one of these people to see if they're home and if we can get together.  But, often we'll leave a campground in the morning and decide which direction to turn as we get to the exit intersection.  Serendipity has its place in the world!  And it really lends itself nice to the RVing lifestyle.

ArdraF

Part of the original post asked if we were connected on the road. We have multiple devices on board. DW and I each have a Laptop (PC and Mac), and she has an iPod Touch that is seldom out of arms reach. We use the Verizon MiFi which is a 3G cellcard/wifi router combo that allows five users to capture the 3Q signal with a wifi enabled device. It can run on its internal battery or 12V. It is at its best when at the campsite and we are both off doing our own thing, but allows for on the road connectivity. The catch is you have to have a 3G signal. Not always the case of course, but we do not feel compelled to be connected.

On the road the off duty driver can pull up Google maps or Streets and trips, email, etc. as long as there is a 3G signal. We do advance planning using the S&T program and use the satellite view of Google maps to check things out. On the road we use a Garmin GPS for turn by turn directions. Do we carry paper charts/atlas? You bet. They are great for the big picture and dreaming.

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL

I dunno if its still true but at one time street atlas would work with a Garmin GPS. I do concur about the paper maps too. I go to AAA and get the trip-tics and state maps so DW can tell me when i have not followed the true path ::). I do off roading too and we carry a atlas of county maps (Michigan counties).

On our 2 month, 7300 mile trip a few months ago, we used almost everything; GPS, Road Atlas, Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator 2010 software, and "The Next Exit".  We had our route planned but didn't have any reservations made ahead of time.  Used the Road Atlas and Next Exit to locate Wal*Marts and Sam's Clubs.  The best campground deal we got was in Santa Cruz, CA. Stayed 3.5 weeks in a friend of mine's machine shop parking lot---water, sewer connection, electricity, internet access, and several lunches.  Plus made some money working for him!  Talk about workkamping!!!!!!!!

Wow, this is all FASCINATING stuff, you guys!  I am so new to all this.  Not sure about getting an actual GPS, but this USB GPS thingy sounds interesting, and cheaper, I would imagine.  I'll have to do some research.  Yes, lots of this stuff costs money, and I'm not sure how much we are willing to shell out.  We aren't really living the RV "lifestyle" yet, so I guess we have a lot of waiting and seeing to do.  Right now our M.O. is to drive down to Mexico in frigid January as fast as possible and "take our time" coming back to Canada in April after sitting in two RV parks in Mexico.  My husband still works, so we do have a bit of a deadline for getting back (taking our time usually means 2 weeks to go 2000 miles), and my main thing to do as far as routing goes is trying to plan for a few big "bucket list" points of  interest every trip back and the campgrounds associated with that.  We do not have a toad as yet, so I try to plan considering public transport or the ease of car rentals.  Last year we did Disneyland (still have young kids) and the Redwoods, and visited friends and family on the way back.  This year we are doing mainly I-15 I think, and hoping to do Vegas again, the Grand Canyon and maybe Mt. Rushmore and the salt flats in Idaho or it is Utah?  I am torn between staying old school with paper and getting something supplementary.  I think if I were to buy the software, the main convincing point is that I don't need internet to use it, and it's better than any one paper map. 

Anyway, all of our lives are so different.  It's great to get input from all of you, thank you!  I will have to check on the inverter thing.  Where are they usually located?  LOL, no, can't say we ever need to run the a/c in the motorhome while we are driving.  I guess that's what comes from driving only in January and April!

Thanks all.  Any other input is most welcome.  Maybe I'll meet some of you friendly folk some day. :)

Janina

jennyjigsaw,

Have been using both Garmin & DeLorme 'USB' type GPS receivers for several years.  Since I am the navigator it is simple to keep the laptop open on passenger dash to constantly 'see' our progress. Laptop plugs into 12v receptacle ~ GPS plugs into USB port.  Each have their own maps & routing abilities.  Last trip out (4mo) used only DeLorme  ( plus TrailerLife CD & paper maps for planning).  Also use paper maps as FinalWord as even the best programs will often take off 'as the crow flies'.

GoodLuck ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun    ~~  Kate

I'll put in my 2 cents and revive an old post, only because I've learned so much from separate postings here.  I'll try to consolidate what I've learned.

I am not a plan every turn kind of traveller.  I start each travel day with a general idea of what I'm going to try and see, and where I'm going to end up, but don't get worried or stressed if it doesn't happen exactly as planned.  I'm Canadian and have travelled from the west coast to the east and am now heading south.  I am travelling alone in a 32' Class A, towing a Geo Tracker.

I use all of the options.  A paper map (the Michelin Road Atlas) gives me a general view and something that I can look at without having to power up.  The Michelin book has a ton of information I use, including rest stops, exit numbers, attractions, toll roads, etc.

I use the Microsoft Streets and Trips software, with GPS receiver, while I'm driving.  I turn on the GPS tracking that leaves a blue trail everywhere that I go and keeps my position centered on the laptop screen.  The zoom function is indispensible.  With a small wireless mouse, I use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out on the map.  I can zoom in to see the individual streets in a city I'm exploring, or zoom out to get an idea of how far it is to the next POI, stop, or interesting city.

A Garmin Nuvi 1490 gives me turn by turn directions when I have a specific destination.  However, the most useful things it does are - (1) I can enter things like "Walmart" or "Shell" and it gives me a list from closest to furthest away with distances and an arrow pointing in the general direction, and (2) in most places in the US it tells me what the speed limit is in my specific location.  It actually changes as I pass the sign that posts a new speed limit.  This is very, very important to me as I'm travelling mostly on US routes, state, and county routes where the speed limit changes constantly as I approach and leave a populated area.  Those speed limit signs are just too easy to miss.

I just picked up a T-mobile "Comet" android phone on a prepaid plan.  This phone and plan gives me 500 minutes to phone anywhere in the US, 9 cents a minute calling to Canada, and unlimited internet.  The phone itself works as a mifi using 802.11g and as far as I can tell, has no limit to the number of connections.  I found that this was the most affordable option for me as a Canadian travelling in the US, though it aint cheap.  In Canada I was using my iphone tethered to the laptop for internet access, this "Comet" is even easier.  I'm counting on T-mobile having good coverage in the areas that I am visiting.

So, I use a road atlas, a laptop with software and GPS receiver, and a stand-alone GPS.  I use a phone for internet access and as a wireless hotspot (and as a ... well ... as a phone).  I use each of them every day.  All of these geeky, techy things have made my journey so much more interesting and enjoyable.

When I travel I much prefer "Scenic Routes".  In the past that was a choice for route planning on some Garmin units - I don't believe that is an option on any of the current models.  Pre planning routes using the scenic routes shown on AAA paper maps, and checking at http://www.byways.org/ lets me plan a trip that includes as many interesting roads as possible.  I prefer to build a route in Street Atlas and transfer it to my Garmin stand alone since I don't have enough room for my 17" laptop in the car. 

I take many side trips to explore "discoveries" along the way - I can either punch in the new destination into the GPS or build a new route for the breaks from the planned route.

All in all, I find the GPS a useful device, and while it will never replace paper maps, it does have the advantage that it includes county level "maps" something that would be near impossible to carry for a cross country trip.   

At his point, I don't use paper maps. 

When I plan my route, I just have a look at mapquest to figure out quickly which way I would go if I didn't have a GPS or route planner.  This is usually just interstate routes (ex. I-81 to I-79, to I-95, etc.).  I use the GPS and/or Streets & Trips to help me navigate along the route, tell me how close/far the exit is, etc., what lane I should be in... stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom