White water hose in the winter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benjiray

I will be RVing this winter in Illinois at one park thru the entire winter. I know that i will need to use a heat tape. But my question is woud i be better off making the hose the exact length that i need? Is there an advantage to keeping the hose off the ground? Any other suggestions? (P.S. I have no holding tanks to worry about)

I would just get the hose out to fill the onboard fresh water tank, then put it away until the water tank gets near empty.

I will second what Ned said.. I'll be in SC.. I have a heated (Slightly heated) hose, it should get me down to around 25, but anything below that I fill the on board and use the pump.

NOTE.. On board tanks are only good to about 20

Based on local advice in Grand Junction CO where they have a lot of oilfield workers and sell a lot of heat tapes, hoses, etc, I bought a black polyethylene water hose and a heat tape at a True Value hardware store.
Be sure to check the instructions with the tape, because some specify that the tape should not be spiral wrapped, but simply taped along the length of the hose.
I used sections of foam pipe insulation with sticky edges - there is a plastic strip that keeps them from sticking until you are ready - to cover the hose with after installing the heat tape. I covered the butt joints with duct tape.
This has served me well for eight full timing years.
Of course I try hard to never have to use it, but sometimes you just have to be in a cold place for a while.

I've been using Clay's method for the last 12 years while full timing. Another good addition is to add a 40 watt light bulb inside the fresh water bay if you don't have a heated bay. I also made a cover for the water hydrant out of 1/2" insulation foam board and installed a 40 watt bulb there as well, along with my pressure regulator and external water filter. [I like to pre-filter at the hydrant as well as at the coach.] I learned about the light bulb trick when we lived on the farm and had to keep the well house from freezing.

Lee

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom