I hope the rest of the Motorhome is put together better than this.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
drove 4 wood screws into the floor of the full wall slide, and right through the bottom of the slide.
I feel your pain ... but better 4 screws through the bottom of the slide, than 2 screws holes through the TOP of the side roof ...we had water dripping on a leather couch about 2 yr after we bought coach when wind drove rain under the slide topper ...all the carpeted tops in the overhead cabinets in the galley slideout were soaked and dripping ...it was repaired (holes plugged with silicone caulk) as a warranty issue.

First heavy rainstorm with high winds and I had a flood of water coming in through my microwave.  Microwave was destroyed.  Dealer found that the slide above the microwave had a hole drilled in it somehow.  When the wind blew hard enough, the rain came in around the topper and down the microwave.  It was fixed under warranty, but Winne ate the cost of a new microwave, over $850.  A little quality control (or taking the drill out of somebody's hands) would have saved WB money.

Makes you wonder how much poor quality control adds to the MSRP?  WB must figure warranty repairs in on the purchase price.  Over all, my Journey has been pretty bug free.

Best Regards!

FrontrangeRVer said:
Marty, did you hear back from Winnebago?

Yes I did, sorry. I have been meaning to post but have had some family fly in for a visit and have been distracted. On Sept 9th I received a phone call from Gary Kobridger, Winnebago customer service. He started off by assuring me that my e-mail had traveled all the way up through the company and back down to him. He said that Winnebago wanted to assure me that quality construction was still the ultimate goal of their company and always will be. In my e-mail I suggested that someone look back and see who was working trim install that day and remind them how important attention to detail is.  He also said that several "recommendations" were made to the appropriate people. He was very sincere and is continuing to assist me with a few issues I brought up in the e-mail. 

Overall I am pleased with Winne's response. I was not actually asking for anything material in my e-mail, but rather wanted to inform those in a position of power that we the consumer are not willing to accept mediocre products when we are spending our hard earned dollar.  I think that they still get it. But I do believe that we need to make our voices heard, both when positive or negative issues arise. It truly is the "squeaky wheel" metaphor.

Good for you! Things like this are a huge safety issue. Just imagine the damage if it came off during an emergency stop with your grandchild sitting in the back. They could be hit in the head with severe injuries just because the trim wasn't properly fastened. I'm glad to hear they had a good response. It is completely unacceptable for anything in a moving vehicle to not be properly fastened down.

Best,
Michelle

Sarge - My theory is that it has something to do with New York.  When Sue and I arrived at Watkins Glen for Labor Day, Sue lowered the big-deal electric shades, only to have one extend all the way down and then fall completely off the window onto the couch.  After re-assembling the shade, I went to turn on the TV over the windshield only to find that the 4 bolts that held the TV to the backing plate attached to the framework had all unscrewed leaving the TV tipped out over the driver compartment, held up only by a small L-bracket attached to the bottom.

Since we have been in Vermont, nothing else has happened.  I rest my case...

Bob

SargeW, on another website from two people who have also been totally screwed by an rv manufacturer there are many good repair suggestions and some sad but true statements, one of my favorites is:

'an act of mechanical stupidity is never a singular event'

betsy-tom, 2010

Another gem from a now good friend in the rv repair business for 30+ years:

" there is never a good time to buy a new rv, there are  however better times and worse times-never buy when the industry is experiencing good times, high production depresses quality and never buy when times are bad, desperate times really depress
quality"

Johnathan 2008

BB said:
" there is never a good time to buy a new rv, there are  however better times and worse times-never buy when the industry is experiencing good times, high production depresses quality and never buy when times are bad, desperate times really depress
quality"

Johnathan 2008

The only problem is that leaves about 4 days in July!

I guess I have had my rig going on 8 or 9 years now.  I am NEVER surprised anymore when something random falls off of it.  Been happening since the get go.  Every trip.  Something falls off or falls apart or disintegrates.  You won't get any kudos out of me on Winnebago craftsmanship OR materials.  Cheap cheap cheap.

I'm beginning to think that this just the "nature of the beast", like you said every trip even if it just 120mi to the beach or 6 hrs riding, there is always something to work on when I get back. I'll just have to build one myself!

Well, I partially agree. But realistically speaking even the best built coach is going to have some issues. I have been in the mid west and now the north east since I bought the rig and have been on some REALLY crappy roads. There has been so much road construction that some days half of the days miles have been on torn up wash board surfaces. Thats why attention to detail is so important in these rigs though. Knowing how much abuse these rigs get just in every day use, every part needs to be secured as best as possible. 

We've got about 62,000 miles on our Horizon and only two things have fallen off - about six or eight wood plugs - every now and then we hear a plink (assuming the plug falls on the tile), I just throw them in the junk basket.  And we had some wood trim on a pocket door track pop off.

Like Marty, we have been on some amazingly bad roads.  Last summer some of the worst we drove were in Mass - I remember a really bad stretch was a toll road.  And then the bad roads in BC and the Yukon - sometimes a frost heave would sneak up on us and I would have thought we left a trail of parts we hit so hard.  Nope.

catblaster said:
I'm beginning to think that this just the "nature of the beast", like you said every trip even if it just 120mi to the beach or 6 hrs riding, there is always something to work on when I get back.

I have a 1993 Itasca Suncruiser on a 1992 Ford F-53 chassis with 140,000 miles on it and have NEVER had anything fall off of it or fall a part. I have, however, found several screws in various locations around the motor home which came off of or out of something. I have never found where they came from but have them all in a small container just in case I find something missing a screw.

I guess quality control varies from coach to coach or perhaps it was much better back in the day.

Richard

catblaster said:
I'm beginning to think that this just the "nature of the beast", like you said every trip even if it just 120mi to the beach or 6 hrs riding, there is always something to work on when I get back. I'll just have to build one myself!

I don't mind so much having to fix something at home, its having to order  parts and replace replace them while out in the boonies someplace.  So far after 6 years I've had to order day/night shades that cratered while vacationing, had the washing machine leak water on two different trips because the winterizing instructions were incorrect, replace the rear camera in a campground, have a shuttle valve for the HWH slideout/levelers shipped to me at my next stop, and so far on this trip I've had to order a new Fantastic Vent plastic cover that broke the raise/lower bracket and bought a set of water heater thermostats because the first night out the heater would not work on propane or electricity either one.  Granted, they are all somewhat minor in character but its just the nuisance when you're trying to relax on vacation.  Course this doesn't count all the pieces of trim and molding in the bathroom/bedroom area that are working loose and the creaking floor in the same area that Forest City has failed to fix during two different trips.
Years ago I understand the automobile manufacturers used to tell the dealers that they guaranteed all the parts were there on new vehicles and it was up to the dealers to make them work correct.  This may still be true in the RV industry but the only problem is that competent RV dealers are few and very far apart.  If an RV owner is fortunate enough to be within decent driving distance from one he should thank his heavenly stars.

Allen

I know it can be a hassle to have to repair sometihing when we are in a place we don't know well. But when should we expect something to break? ...when it is sitting in your driveway?  ...or when it is actually being used?  If you want to fix it at  your stick house keep it parked there and use it in the driveway! ...Don't go further than a few blocks from the driveway and make sure you never park overnight anywhere else  If you use it somewhere else, I guess it is YOUR fault when it breaks somewhere other than in your driveway!  ;)

I have had a few strange repairs ...5 ft piece of trim in the bedroom that was attached only with double-sided tape, and ditto on screw holes in the galley sideout roof above the microwave...

Actually mine NEVER breaks when I am "away from home." If you want yours to behave as well as mine, move into it fulltime and MAKE it your home.  :)

You know, don't get me wrong. I do love to tinker and work on the MH.  I just prefer not to have to bolt on the basic material parts that were given a lick and a promise instead of a decent attempt. But, most importantly I'm left with a feeling that my concerns were actually heard by someone in a position of authority. I respect that.

(I've been watching this thread quietly and cautiously cuz I haven't had any issues whatsoever, so I'm speaking reeel quiet-like...)

Speaking of washboard roads... This spring on the beginning of our trip, in Tennessee, we drove about 50 miles on a true washboard road.  I noticed something swinging out on the right side of the rig out the mirror.  I stopped to find that the rear bedroom window (fire escape) had self-unlatched and was blowing in the breeze.  Luckly no damage.  I just re-latched it and it has never happened again. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom