Day/Night Shade Frustrated Me for the Last Time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rv rick

Our Winnebago Tour has done a great job for us during the last 30 months, but I have never been a fan of the Day/Night shades that were original equipment. As fulltimers, we use the blinds frequently and I have had several situations of string failure (and have gotten quite good at re-stringing them). As a result of this, I was less than thrilled when a window shade by the dinette failed.

We decided to investigate alternatives and a trip to the local Lowe's store uncovered Levolor "Cut to fit" pleated blinds which were available in a tan color and in a room darkening variety. We decided to get a couple and see how they worked. We took our measurements to Lowe's and they were able to cut the length of the blind to our exact size (and at no extra cost). These blinds use a very smooth, cordless lift system that is a vast improvement over the original Day/Night shades. Not only do they work well, but they were very easy to install!

To operate them, we just pull them down as normal and they move down very smoothly with little effort. To lift them up, simply press the button shown above and they gently retract. Wow -- this is great! One hand operation is very easy to do and it is great to easily lift the shades up and down and let the light in. The final benefit from the shades is that they provide excellent insulation against heat and the sun. We were amazed at the difference between these shades and the originals in keeping heat out of the coach. The cost of the blinds varied by size, but a 30" wide by 72" long cost about $45 -- not bad at all.

I had the pleated day night shades in my Pace Arrow and I was not a fan of them either. One of the surprises we found in our 2011 Aspect was that they had changed the old style day night shades to two shades that operate up and down like normal window shades. The shade closest to the window was a black fabric with small holes for day use, and in front of that was a shade with a vinyl like matterial that matched our furniture, for night use. Much easier to use and I like their looks better.

Jim

RV Rick,

Did you purchase the Tan or Room Darkening shades?  I assume it is one or the other and you do not have the option of both.  Now that you have yours installed I would be interested in your comments regarding the color choice.

My day/night shades are worn out too. I have restrung one that broke and had to repair several where the string cut through the grommet at the top. I went to Home Depot and ordered Levolor aluminum blinds that are 1 3/8 inches wide and colored almond. They should arrive in about a week. The 2" blinds were too wide for my headers and the 1" didn't look as good. The aluminum material should not warp like the wood does and I was worried that the plastic  ones would get brittle in the heat. I like the venetian blind style because you can lift the blind up and have the windows completely exposed or you can have them down and turn the slats enough to keep out the sun but still allow the air to flow in when the window is open, and of course you can completely close them to block out the light and for privacy at night.

jagage46 said:
I had the pleated day night shades in my Pace Arrow and I was not a fan of them either. One of the surprises we found in our 2011 Aspect was that they had changed the old style day night shades to two shades that operate up and down like normal window shades. The shade closest to the window was a black fabric with small holes for day use, and in front of that was a shade with a vinyl like matterial that matched our furniture, for night use. Much easier to use and I like their looks better.

Jim

That sounds like you have the MCD shades. They are quite expensive but seem to be a very high quality.

We replaced our day night shades in the front living area a few months ago with the MCD American Duo shades and plan to have the motorized ones with a remote control installed in the windshield area next spring at the MCD factory.

I believe the biggest problem with string failure is too much tension when installed. I had one that was quite hard to move up and down. Over time the string failed. After replacing the string I adjusted the tension so it would stay up but didn't need a lot of effort to move. It has lasted several years.

When obtaining the new strings from the manufacturer, for free, I found they had changed the tension adjuster. It's much easier now to get the correct tension.

I took some pictures of the pleated blinds and posted them here 

We have been pleased with the performance of these blinds so far, and really like the easy operation. The color is almost a perfect match for the original shades that were in the coach.

RV Rick,

I will ask again.  Did you purchase the Tan or Room Darkening shades?  I assume it is one or the other and you do not have the option of both.  Now that you have yours installed I would be interested in your comments regarding the color choice.  If Tan, can a person see inside at night?

We purchased the "Sand" color (a tan) in the room darkening. I pulled the shades down at night with the lights on inside the coach and there is no light showing outside at all. Plus, I am very happy to have no string holes in the shade that always seemed to be right in line with the streetlight and my eye at night.

Given that our coach has heavily tinted windows, we have not missed the "day" shade at all. I prefer either no shade or total shade if the sun is shining in the window.

Hope this helps.

Do they let in air? I've stuck with venetian blinds because I can adjust them to let in air.

Wendy

When the blinds are down, they do not allow ventilation. These are pleated fabric shades with a mylar lining which do a great job of insulating, but a lousy job of allowing airflow. When we want the windows open for air, we just lift them up part way.

Thanks. Guess I have to decide if insulation or ventilation is more important before I get new blinds.

Wendy said:
Thanks. Guess I have to decide if insulation or ventilation is more important before I get new blinds.

Wendy

As Rick said, you can have both by raising the shades part way.

Those freaky dust collectors were the first thing I tore out when I bought my winnebago.  The first time they needed cleaned, I decided they had to go.  Replaced them with limo tint that has UV reducing properties.  Initially I also installed room darkening vinyl mini blinds, but decided those were more work than my "all about convenience" life likes, so I replaced them with lace curtains in the main area and sound/thermal insulating curtains in the bedroom.  Easily removed and tossed in the washer. 

Took out Day/Night shades replaced with ThermalDrapes & 'Sheers'.  Did this a month or so before our long(4mo) trip.  Much more of heat/light barrier than the D/N when closed. PLUS can open up in  day time for light. Can slide back just the  glass open end for ventilation.  AND my favorite ~ :eek:~ Can sneak a peek outside the window if hear a noise ( couldn't do that with the D/N)  JM2?

Several motorhomes ago we converted to mini venetian blinds with "metal" slats, not plastic.  This way when you lower them completely and turn the slats upward completely they do a very good job of blocking the light because of the metal slats. 

Furthermore, in the daytime to control bright sun and also to let air through we can lower them and turn the slats upward about half way to completely block the bright sunlight and still let air flow through.

In the bedroom Ardra bought drapery-ining blackout cloth and cut it to fit the two bedroom windows so using velcro across the top placed inside and under the valance (cannot see the Velcro) we quickly hang them over the venetian blinds and it completely blacks out the bedroom even in direct sunlight.  Works great!

JerryF 

Yes, when I get home these things are going.  The one over the dining room table is now held up with a bungee cord wrapped around the cabinet handles.  The one on the other side has a plastic end panel out and is just hanging there.  Another bungee cord would fix it I guess.  After reading all the comments I decided I'm not even messing with them.  I like the ones that are pleated with a button.  Hubby can likely put those in easily.  Did you have to cut for length or can you order what you need, 72 would be waaaaaaaaaaaay to long.

Back in our stick home in RI we bought some Levelor shades that would open either up or down.  Confused?  Sure.  Two cords, one controlld the bottom edge to drop down, the second to control the top.  Nice cuz you can drop the bottom to the sill, then drop the top down for light, the bottom gives privacy.  I can see that working great in the coach. 

We also had a burn party for those annoying day/nights. But since the wife sews, she decided to make some Roman curtains. The design and color of the material purchased matches our decor and is so much more astethically pleasing in the RV than any shades I've seen on the market. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom