Roadtrek Adventurous, or similar "B" some questions, and how do you like it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcb

Retiring next year, and want to do some sight seeing across the USA, and it looks like our selection is down to a class B, or a small travel trailer for my wife and I and our yellow lab. I think I would prefer a mobile home over a TT, but not 100% sure if a small class B like the Roadtrek Adventurous or similar "B" has any advantages over a slightly larger class B.

A small B similar to the Roadtrek Adventurous looks convenient, as you can easily drive to sightsee, shop, etc, but how much of a PIA is pulling up stakes & re-setting up if you have to run into town to sight see or for dinner?

How much storage is there in the Roadtrek Inside? The inside storage appears to be sufficient, but how long a trip could you go on? Is there storage for pots and pans?

How about outside storage for storing things like 2 folding chairs, a table, screen room, and a ground mat to sit outside? Would be need to get a hitch carrier with a storage box?

Is it comfortable to relax in and watch TV during the evenings?

Is the bed really comfortable, or is it a back breaker?

Realistically, how convenient is the small shower? Is it really usable?

Any other +/- comments will be appreciated.

Thank you,....marc

We do not have a Roadtrek.  We do travel in 20 foot custom van for two.

If you are going to take a large dog with you I would not get anything smaller.

You will have to plan your stops.  Once you are fully set up in a 'B' you will find that you really do not want to run into town on a whim.  Screen room attached to the awning.  The awning is attached to the van.  The van is level and hooked up. etc.  Of course you can do it but you will get tired if it in short time.

Most the stuff you asking about falls into the personal preference list.

TV...well we do not watch one while on the road.  Indeed we really find out the news when we get home again.  But that said, the flat screens that articulate can probably meet 99% of the populations needs.

The bed???  You better try it.  Have seen many posts over the years about sleeping (or the lack there of) and bed structure.  What can be fine for one person can be a literal nightmare for another.

Shower?  Depends.  Some people in A's never use their repetitively large showers.  Use it for storage or makes a very nice restroom library.  ::)  We have a very small shower and use it as needed.  If you are concerned about TV then you probably will be in 'civilized' campgrounds and they have showers.  Some good and some not so good and some  :(

Storage again really is relative.  Looks like the Roadtrek has ample but if you want to bring an extra kitchen sink you will eventually run out of space.

The Roadtrek is 3 feet longer then what we travel with.  You would have basically twice as much of everything we take: twice the wate,r twice the room, probably twice the storage.

We take one to two month trips in our van and FOR OUR needs are fine.

You might consider renting one for a week prior to forking over $80k - $90k.  See what you really want.

Have fun.....we have and are.

PS:  Have you tried the "Search" button.  If you search on Roadtrek you will get a lot of RV Forum hits.  The comments seem very positive about it.

We have had our 21' Chinook for almost a year and love it.  We considered a Roadtrek but with three dogs (lab, border collie and toy poodle) it may have been a bit cramped for us.  The Chinook is probably considered a B+ but has a good amount of inside storage along with a small rooftop pod to hold the outdoor 'stuff'. 

The Chinook's bed is from both the couch and dining table and makes into a queen size bed.  We threw a memory foam topper because all the different pads and cushions were a little lumpier than we like. It's very quick to make up and break down.

The 'wet toilet' is small but as long as I don't get too much wider, its fine!

As far as being able to pull up stakes and going, as Len and Jo said, once the MH is leveled, chairs and folding table are out, awning is unfolded, etc, it's a deliberate decision to drive away.  I replaced the original 12v TV and VCR with a small flat screen and new 12v DVD player which we enjoy with a portable vu-qube out in the boonies. 

Overall we have plenty of room for our lifestyle and its a breeze to maneuver in some of the tighter spots we've found ourselves.  Also the price was much easier to handle since it was a used rig but in beautiful shape.

Best idea was to go and rent what you are interested in and give it a go.  Good Luck!

Just completed 6 week, 8,000 mile trip (two adults, no pets except for occasional fly) in an SS Agile. Plenty of storage, not cramped except when one person is busy, e.g. making the bed, cooking etc. then we found best for one to sit in front or rear. Shower actually works fine (I'm 160 lbs, 5'10") except it leaks through the front of the marine toilet out onto the floor unless I put a plastic garbage bag over it. Very comfortable on the road, over 20 mpg at 68 mph. Great customer service. I got used to the bed, but we are thinking of adding either a foam layer or using thermarests on top (the bed is not completely level). Highly recommended, probably want to read the sprinter forum about 2008-2010 models - there are some issues, but nothing major except no source of aftermarket wheels for mounting snows, and expensive albeit infrequent service (10k oil change, 10 or 20k fuel filter change). Engine not approved for biodiesel (states up to 5% in owners manual, but only if meets certain specifications) and you can only find biodiesel at some turnpike (e.g. PA) rest stops. Make sure you get rear and maybe sliding door screens as AC is very loud for sleeping (don't know why it has to run at such high fan speeds) and windows provide minimal ventilation although super fan is indeed super.

All that said, I can't imagine spending 6 weeks with a large dog in this space, although a friend spent 6 months in a VW van with two kids and a large aredale but with pharmaceutical assistance.....Renting good idea, but really hard to find.

They are often referred to as "divorce in a can".  We had our heart set on a Winni Rialta, good RVing friends talked us out of it, ad we are not sorry.  We ended up with a 34 ft DP. and haul a Jeep for a toad.  We use it for both stationary and travel for trips of over 6 months.  With considerably more storage, we never seem to have enough.
    We have friends who have a Roadtrek, they use it without any pets, and find it restrictive after a couple of weeks.

Ed

We do have a 'B' and really like it.  Have never traveled for more than 2 months.  We also at the most have one house cat with us.  Have never thought of our van as a "divorce in a can".  If people have problems then even a 5,000 sq. ft. house is not big enough.  We do have to limit the things we take with us but that IS part of the fun and experience.  If we wanted to to have everything we could stay at home.

For use one of the big things about traveling and camping is changing our life style for 1-2 months.  We find it refreshing.  Each person must of course pick an RV based on their needs, wants, and likes.  For some an "A" is the only way and for some pop-up does the trick.  What ever one gets though make sure you use it and enjoy it.  Life is way to short.

Len and Jo said:
We do have a 'B' and really like it.  Have never traveled for more than 2 months.  We also at the most have one house cat with us.  Have never thought of our van as a "divorce in a can".  If people have problems then even a 5,000 sq. ft. house is not big enough.  We do have to limit the things we take with us but that IS part of the fun and experience.  If we wanted to to have everything we could stay at home.

For use one of the big things about traveling and camping is changing our life style for 1-2 months.  We find it refreshing.  Each person must of course pick an RV based on their needs, wants, and likes.  For some an "A" is the only way and for some pop-up does the trick.  What ever one gets though make sure you use it and enjoy it.  Life is way to short.

"Life is way to short!" Amen to that ... I totally agree with Len & Jo ... whatever you get ... get it and follow your dream. Too many people sit back and dream and plan until it is too late. My time has come and I am going to travel as long and as far as time and finances will permit. I told my daughter not too long ago that I have fewer years in front of me than I have behind me and I have to enjoy every moment to the fullest.

Happy trails.

Karsty

Len and Jo said:
  What ever one gets though make sure you use it and enjoy it.  Life is way to short. If we
  wanted to to have everything we could stay at home.

If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself :) I have to agree with that. Enjoy life! I also agree on not trying to take too much but rather take only what you really need to take.

In getting help from others, they have suggested much larger vans than we really wanted. We wanted something more manageable to drive and we are not looking to camp as much as we are looking to have a small portable living space no matter where we park. I understand that everyone looks at things through their own eyes and can only offer up experience based on their own travel. We can easily get by with less. We only need resources once every two weeks or there a bouts.

Best!

CamperAL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom