Honda Generator - Carburetor Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCP

I have a 2000 watt Honda generator and the gas has been in the tank too long. I replaced the gas but he motor runs rough especially on ?Eco? mode. I was told a new carburetor was needed. Is there any way to clean the carburetor with replacing it? Thanks, LCP

Dump the old gas and put in some fresh and also add some seafoam I used a 1/2  to 3/4 of a can let it run for a few minutes and shut it off and let it sit for a day or so after starting it later put a load on it and it should clean up mine runs smooth again

Rich

Remove carburator, clean bowl, and spray the orifice were the needle from the floater goes, with carburator cleaner. Since you are there, also spray all other orifices including the one inside the bowl bolt (one or two tiny holes next to the head of the bolt). That should pretty much take care of any clogs. If it is severe, then dip the carburator in NAPA or Diesel overnight. Do not use gasoline cause it will dry the rubber seals and crack them.

While cleaning inside the bowl, remove all jets and clean behind them. The dried varnish will accumulate in these areas. Remove the float and needle and inspect needle and seat. An airhose is good to check that all passages are open. It is easy to do this and results are guaranteed!!!

If they cleaned it they wouldn't make as much money.

Take it off and take it apart as much as you feel comfortable doing. Then the best way is to dip it in carb cleaner, if you don't have access to that get a can of spray carb cleaner. If you dip remove any rubber o'rings and set them aside. The cleaner will swell them up. When you take it out of the tank wash it in real hot water and it'll come out looking new. If the jets are removable take them out and do them seperately. Some jets have a very thin copper washer under them. Also many smaller carbs have the jets pressed in so don't remove them. If there is green/brown stuff in it you may have to use a small brush to loosen it. A dip tank will usually take thet stuff off, with a spray can you'll have to work a bit harder. Also you may be able to take it to a snowmobile shop or a good auto parts store and ask them to dip it for you.

I've cleaned hundreds of snowmobile & ATV carbs like this and it's not a big deal.

Had the exact same problem last year...found a guy at an independent motorcycle shop with Honda experience...he said he sees this problem all the time...charged me $35 for this quick fix that I could have done myself... :p

Solution - remove the carb and clean it thoroughly, as mentioned by many above...slap it back on the engine and you're running like new again!

Long term solution - DRAIN the fuel from the carb's float bowl when you put the genny away!!!  I got lazy and didn't do this simple task as Honda mentions in their Owner's Manual - Duh!  Now I ALWAYS loosen that large screw on the side panel that lets you access the small screw in the drain valve for the carb - there's a clear tubing hose that will direct the fuel from the bowl to the bottom, outside of the genny!  Drain it on a couple of paper towels - let the fuel evaporate, then toss in the trash - I guess if you're really into being 'green' you could capture that tablespoon of fuel in a cup and return it back to the tank...

I leave this valve OPEN (while the genny is in storage), and the side panel screw loose to remind me to close the darin valve when I use the genny again - it only takes a couple of minutes, but can save you lots of $'s down the road...

Live and learn...Ray

Ray's solution will work also.

Sta-bil fuel stabilizer won't completely solve this either. The problem has been worse since we have got the newer fuels. Also when they are stored in warm weather it's much worse, snowmobiles stored outside for example.

Honda carbs are pretty simple units.  Don't be afraid to take it apart and clean it if you have have basic mechanical skills.  I run Seafoam in all my small engines all the time and the generator I keep for hurricanes starts everytime even after sitting for a year or so.  I know I should start it more often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom