2011 Plan - Georgia to Florida- Ideas tips please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodentops

Our travels around the US are continuning. Having covered parts of California, nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Mississippi, Tennesee, Arkansas, Louisiana we have now stored the RV south of Atlanta and returned home to the UK.  We will be returning in February 2011 for 2 weeks when we will travel into Florida ultimately heading for Miami. Then in June we will return with family and meet other family and friends in Orlando to "do Disney".

Any ideas around route, places to see, campgrounds etc would be really appreciated. (We prefer statepark type campgrounds and are aged under 50 with a 20 year old son with learning disabilities)

Specifically - thoughts on storage between feb & june around Miami area. Touring this area without a toad?

and When in orlando we will be sharing a villa with friends & family as RV not big enough for all. Is anyone aware of any parking where we could park rv for 2 weeks?

Many thanks
Julie

The metropolitan area all around Miami is very congested, especially within 15 miles of the coast. I would not want to try to travel the area in a motorhome larger than about 24 feet.  And campgrounds are not widely available in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area either. You will probably have to go west or south towards Homestead. There are, however, some nice county parks in Broward (Ft Lauderdale). Problem is, in February EVERYBODY wants to be in South Florida, so sites are usually booked well in advance.

The year I retired (2004 ) we spent a month in Fl, including a Week in Fey Largo. Key largo is a interesting spot on it's own but makes a great location to day trips to Key West and the keys, The Everglades(Shark Valley is a don't miss) And the Miami area.

Thank you Tony and Gary.
Tony where did you stay in Key Largo?

Gary - it may well make a pleasant change to actually have other people on a campground with us! We do tend to stick to County & State parks where possible and have found on our travels they are very underused. Probably because we are always "out of sync" with others. For example Texas & Tennesee etc in August! It would be nice to meet more RV'ers and learn more about RVing in USA compared to caravanning in UK. In February we might stay more in the north of Florida and then drop south just to leave the RV ready for return in June.
Leaving the RV in storage has been difficult for us because it is usually many months and nobody to check on it - it has become our pride & joy. So any recommendations on safe storage especially grateful for. :D

We stayed at America Outdoors RV park and Florida Keys RV Park. John Pennekamnp SP is also a great place but hard to get in "IN Saeson".
I'm not sure either is still open. I could not fine either in the current directory.

Thanks Tony
I can't find the 2 parks on our mapping program either but have located the state park.
You Americans might think this is a strange question but is there much risk from hurricanes either to the RV in storage in the Miami area or travelling in February and June.
From our UK news we always hear that hurricanes have devasted the whole of Florida but we know that in the US our English localised flooding is often reported giving the impression that all of England is under water!

julie

Back
Top Bottom