High cost of diesel maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
We often mention high maintenance costs as a "con" in the gas vs diesel motorhome debate. I just got done doing some maintenance on my 8.9L Cummins ISL, so thought I would mention the numbers here, for the edification of those considering a purchase.

These numbers are for fluids and filters only (including sales tax) - I did the labor myself.

Engine oil change:
$74.84 for 7 gallons of Rotella 15W40 oil from Sams Club
$76.20 for a NAPA 1748XD oil filter

Fuel Filter/water separator:
$34.14 for a Fleetguard 1022

Air filter:
  Farr 094973-007 cost $103.94 + $18 shipping.

The oil & fuel system change is an annual expense. I got 3+ years on the air filter and maybe could squeeze out a bit more. Could have got the oil filter for about $10 less if I ordered online, but went to the NAPA local store instead cause it was convenient.

Next comes the generator: oil (1 gal), oil filter, fuel filter and maybe an air filter (was changed two years ago). Another annual expense.

And I'm due for a coolant change too. I'm told I'll need 7 gallons of 50/50 pre-mix for that. About $17/gal or $119 + tax.

TOTAL=307.12
PASSING GASSERS GOING UPHILL=PRICELESS ;D
J
(sorry couldn't resist)

Thanks for those number Gary. I always hear that diesels are a lot more expensive but never know how much. You diesels can keep right on passing me going uphill ... I drive a VW, I don't mind being passed :)

Wendy

That's very informative Gary, thanks for the info.  What I would also like to see from those in the know is how that compares to maintenance for a gasser.  Is the maintenance schedule for a gas MH similar, or is it comparable to a smaller gasoline motor.  I know in my F-150 I change the oil every 5000 miles (using synthetic oil), and didn't know if I could expect the same if and when we upgrade to a MH.

DW and I are several years short of retiring and full-timing, but any info we can get will make our decisions easier.

My point has always been that "pleasure" RVr's rarely accumulate 18 to 20 K miles annually (a diesel oil change window). Maybe some of you fulltimers do; but I think it's in the minority. Hence; a diesel should only occur a "p.m."/oil change every year; just to be safe. I bet you could get away with every other year, if you asked around. So; yes the outlay may be higher, but it's less frequent. And you bean counters need to factor the fuel savings that I am getting. I went from 5.5-6 with a gasser to 10.5 to 11 with my DP. And...ditto to the hill comment. BTW Roamer, Speedco does my p.m.'s and its under $150. I am pleased with their work and I'd rather spend that than fool with it.

wa0elm said:
That's very informative Gary, thanks for the info.  What I would also like to see from those in the know is how that compares to maintenance for a gasser.  Is the maintenance schedule for a gas MH similar, or is it comparable to a smaller gasoline motor.  I know in my F-150 I change the oil every 5000 miles (using synthetic oil), and didn't know if I could expect the same if and when we upgrade to a MH.

DW and I are several years short of retiring and full-timing, but any info we can get will make our decisions easier.
I never put 10,000 miles a year on my MH, I do all of my own work.
I change the oil and all filters twice a year, Jan. and June.
My costs are $46.48-$50.00 each time. My fuel mileage is 7-7.5 mpg., right now I put less than 1500 miles per year on my MH.  (oh yeah, I have a Gasser, 454 cube)
J

The expensive of changing oil, filters and coolant are probably similar in cost if you do it yourself.  My concern would be if something goes wrong with the engine, of course, people who love diesels will probably tell you that nothing goes wrong.  I have a gasser, but I will have to admit that I am intrigued by diesels. 

It isn't the slight difference in the routine maintenance that get to me, it is the high cost of the oops maintenance/repairs on a diesel that has me steamed.  Four years ago, I got gas at a diesel pump and ruined the pump and electronics for the fuel system, over $3,000 CDN, and this year, the radiator & CAC to the tune of about $5,000 CDN.  Still I wouldn't trade it for a gasser, it handles and rides so much better and Donna & I can actually listen to the radio or hear each other talk.

Ed

mdbass said:
I bet you could get away with every other year, if you asked around. So; yes the outlay may be higher, but it's less frequent.
I'd be wary of changing oil less more than once a year or whatever the mfr states. Condensation could, possibly, collect in the oil and contribute to problems.  A problem that doesn't happen in highway freight hauling diesels.  :)

OTOH you could get your oil tested after a year.

Updated: I meant to type more not less.  Changes the meaning of my posting entirely.  Sorry about that.

Everyone says we change oil way way to often.  But hubby says its the cheapest engine maintenance going and I'm not going to argue with him.  He changes everything including the motorhome every 3000 miles.  The oil was pretty dirty after my trip so he changed it and the filter.  With the horrible heat we had over those miles probably not a bad idea.  And he uses synthetic on top of that.  Yes, I know, but so far we have never ever had an engine failure and only 1 use oil.  I had bought it used when mom was here and she couldn't go in places with me and I had to let her sit in the car, the engine overheated in the summer heat a couple of times before I could get in and out quickly, and after that it used oil. 

The reason for mileage or time, whichever comes first, oil changes is not because the oil wears out, the additives in the can wear out. Nowadays with lead and sulfur and whatever else removed from fuel and the tighter tolerances, the oil needs to do a lot more work keeping the engines clean and slippery. An oil test will warn against existing engine wear but not on the status of the additive package. I'd strongly recommend staying with the manufacturer's recommendation; no more, no less. Dirty oil is good oil, the additives are doing their jobs and, as long as you use quality filters and change them as scheduled, your oil will do it's job.

I've never driven a diesel so of course I don't know about them.  My old 91 motorhome had rattles, but this one doesn't unless I get on a washboard road.  Also I don't understand about a gas motorhome being loud.  I don't have any trouble talking to my daughter or hearing her.  Maybe I'm missing something here. Going up the grades part I understand, I'm sure they have more power then mine.  A diesel would be a very nice upgrade I'm sure, but not money in our budget for that.  I'm sure those that have them really enjoy them.  But so far I don't have the noise or rattling problem yet, maybe I will later.

Tony_Alberta said:
I'd be wary of changing oil less than once a year or whatever the mfr states. Condensation could, possibly, collect in the oil and contribute to problems.  A problem that doesn't happen in highway freight hauling diesels.  :)

OTOH you could get your oil tested after a year.
I thought I made that clear. And I forgot about the heavy duty chassis and air ride that comes with it.

PatrioticStabilist said:
  But so far I don't have the noise or rattling problem yet, maybe I will later.
Maintain the cooling system and it will stay quiet, mine is an '88. The fan cuts in on the steep hills and on the flats briefly on very hot days. Your radiator has to clean and free flowing to keep a BIG BLOCK under 200 degrees, hotrodding 101.
J

I did not intend this to turn into a gas vs diesel debate - just trying to put some credible data on the table. In that spirit, may I suggest that any replies should contain comparative numbers.

A gas engine in a motorhome is the same engine as in a pick-up and uses the same maintenance schedule, so figure on changing oil every 5-7k miles (whatever the engine manual says) or once a year max

Speedco gets about $230-$250 to change my oil and filter - it varies by location. An RV dealer typically gets well over $300.

A few oops on our Freightliner:

Exhaust brake:                $ 950
Hydraulic pump seal        $2450
Front brakes and drums  $1100  (After exhaust brake failed)

To put this in perspective this is over 90k miles in six years. I also take the m/h to Freightliner in Gaffney every year for service. Standard service runs $300-400 but every third year the bill is over a grand and this year it will probably be more (100k check including adjusting valve lash, tranny fluid change, front wheel grease flush and refill, and radiator flush and coolant replacement)

We also get to travel across the country every year pretty much trouble-free and as everyone else had mentioned the pleasure of driving a diesel is great.

My last two gas motorhomes probably cost a couple of hundred dollars a year to service (I did the work) and a few hundred more per year for tires and batteries. I remember getting six 16.5"  Michelins at Costco for for $850 while six 22.5" Goodyears for the diesel were over three thousand.

It is just a different budget range.

do you only have 1 fuel filter/sep on yours Gary?  I thought that was kinda pricey for a oil filter too? I'll have to find my tickets from the Cat shop, I use all Cat filters sept for the fuel/sept.. they don't make one so I use lubliner? I think my air filter was closer to $120 from paccar though... I was surprised at how much the onan stuff cost :eek:

Jeff said:
I remember getting six 16.5"  Michelins at Costco for for $850 while six 22.5" Goodyears for the diesel were over three thousand.

We just paid $2050 for those 16.5" Michelins last month, in Oregon with no sales tax. Of course, you can have 22.5" tires on a gasser, too.

Wendy

I tip my hat to all of you big dogs, I'm just a little puppy! ::)
J

do you only have 1 fuel filter/sep on yours Gary?

Yes. It's an '03 engine in a January '04 chassis, so one of the ones that had only one filter.

I thought that was kinda pricey for a oil filter too?

Sure is! But the 8.9L ISL uses a BIG filter, not to mention 28 qts of oil. Runs about $42 + shipping online, vs about $72 in the parts stores.  I wanted to get the oil change done quickly for other reasons, so opted to get it locally rather than wait for delivery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom