Paying it Back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ufg8r85

Just got back from a 3 day trip to Sebastian Inlet SP. On our second night just past sunset a young couple pulled in with their brand new tent. After a few minutes the young girl came over and asked if we had any  extra firewood. At first I said no, but then watching them struggle brought back memories. I called to my son out of the TT and we went over with a bundle of wood and got their fire going, my wife then came over and helped set up their tent. Later they came over and thanked us. My son then had the opportunity to serve them smores. Later my son, 7 years old, asked why we helped them. I told him it was the right thing to do. I told him about how when I was 19 and the GSMNP a couple helped me with camping tips, along with several park rangers. I also reminded him about  a year ago when the couple next to us helped get our fire going in the rain (our last time in a tent).  The next morning they were gone but there was a note on the picnic table. They thanked us for our hospitality, and also wrote that if there was 1 more family like like ours the world would be abetter place. My wife must have read that note 20 times, each time a smile appeared on her face. Hopefully this trip will leave a lasting lesson in my kids minds that it really is nice to help others.

What a wonderful story.  I got a smile on my face and I did not even read the note.  It is also a lesson learned to thank people when they do something nice for us.  Paying it  back is one way to say it, another way is to say What goes around , comes around.
Thanks for sharing.

Hope to camp beside  you some time.
Betty

I'm smiling too!  That's a great lesson for kids!  So many people showed us kindness while traveling around the world on business and pleasure and all we could do was say thank you.  Now I try to pay it forward by helping others.  What a better place the world would be if everyone tried it!  When people thank me I just tell them to help someone else in the future.  Your son learned a valuable lesson.

ArdraF

What a nice story. I hope I remember it the next time I curse to myself when some dumb young person parks next to me and tries to set up their camp.

Wendy

GOOD ON YA!  Great story and you were the heroes in the tale too!

Experiences like that is part of the reason we still love RVing. It's as much about the people you meet as the places you go.  We had a similar experience  in late July but on the receiving end. We were camped in Kentucky, just below the Barren River Lake Dam. An older couple in the trailer next to us had their family visiting much of the day (adult children) and they fished in the river, catching a mess of catfish which they cooked up for dinner. As we sat outside our own coach later in the evening, the gent brought over a plate full of fresh cooked fish, explaining that "since you folks are from Florida, you probably haven't ever had the pleasure of  fresh caught Kentucky catfish".  And what a treat it was!  Really nice gesture, from a total stranger.

Back
Top Bottom