Preparing for Quartzsite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheila1947

Since we are new to RVing and drycamping, I thought I would start a thread for Quartzsite.  Besides making sure our gas, propane and water tanks are all full and the waste tanks are empty, what else is MUST HAVE, MOST DO to prepare for this trip?  For example, I read somewhere that sinus infections can be a problem in the dusty environment.  Should be ask our doc for antibiotics?  What about cash, versus credit card, using an ATM, etc? Appreciate any help experienced people can give.

Sheila

You hit the most important things.....empty the holding tanks and fill up the propane, gas and water tanks. As far as sinus problems, some people have problems, some don't. I end up taking extra allegy medicine but I always have that with me anyway. We usually have cash handy....you'll be doing a lot of shopping and cash is easier to use. Major vendors will take credit cards and there are ATMs in town (Shell station for sure has one) if you don't mind paying the extra fee.

Don't forget Quartzsite has things to buy and isn't all that far from the nearest big grocery store if you find you need something extra.

Come to Happy Hour every night and you'll learn more than you can imagine about RVing and Quartzsite. And the MOST IMPORTANT THING about Quartzsite is to HAVE FUN.

Wendy

If you have allergies be sure to have your medication with you.  I and some others find using a saline mist helps with the dryness.  If you tend to or have dry eyes be extra sure to have a good supply of what ever drops you use, prescription especially and others as necessary.  My wife uses both prescription and over the counter stuff for her eyes.

Generally the same things you have at home, prescriptions etc.

We typically have a potluck so bring ingredients for your favorite dish.  We have happy hours where you are welcome to bring a  treat to share with others  And there is firewood to bring  if you care to sit by a fire.  I  have allergies but not to Quartzsite dust.  Dress in layers and know it is not fancy.  Campfires may put  fire spark holes in your clothes.  As Wendy says we just wanna have fun.

Betty

Along with what all the others have said.....If you haven't used your generator in awhile I would check it out and make sure it is working properly and make sure your batteries are in good condition.

Plastic spoons and paper plates to conserve water, unless you are Betty Brewer who has a spare 100 gal fresh water tank hidden under the bed. I am always amazed to see her washing dishes after a meal!

Russ:

I thought that 100 gallons was for Terry's showers. ;D

Jeff said:
I thought that 100 gallons was for Terry's showers. ;D 

Speaking of showers, pick up a package of baby wipes....wonderful for cleaning up rather than using water. They work good on the dog, too. And those plastic cans of house cleaning wipes are great, too, for wiping up the kitchen and bathroom. Be sure you have things to use for trash (grocery bags work well) as you will probably generate more trash than usual (we take turns doing trash pickup and runs to the dumpsters).

Wendy

Dress in layers and know it is not fancy.

Some years we're in shorts and others we're in parkas or close to it, so have a variety of clothing you can shed.  Jeans, tee shirts, shorts are good.  Quartzsite is just one big campground, so wear what you would camping.  I take my hiking boots in case we go four-wheeling someplace with rocky terrain.

I use a lot of paper towels when boondocking there.  Paper plates are the order of the day, but using other utensils also is necessary.  When we finish meals I wipe out the "real" dishes or pans with damp paper towels.  Then I can stack them for future washing without food hardening on them.  Yes, you will need trash bags!

In wet years it isn't as dusty, but drought years expect dust.  Saline nasal spray helps keep the nose lining moist.  The southwestern deserts also get a lot of wind when weather systems from the south Pacific and Alaska arrive at the same time and create wind when they collide.

Quartzsite now has a couple of pretty well-stocked grocery stores.  If you need big-store shopping, Blythe CA is about 17 miles to the west and there you can shop at Albertson's, Albertson's, or Albertson's.  ;D

ArdraF

There are also medical personnel available, for those who may want to know about that aspect.  There is an emergency crew at the fire station north of town, and helicopter service either to Parker or Phoenix hospitals.  Several years ago a neighbor or ours had to be airlifted to Phoenix with excellent results. But there are also several clinics and/or doctors offices around.  Perhaps someone of the "older" crowd could seek them out for newbies, should the need arise, or just to know about them.  We've had excellent care in the past by Drs. O & P, but since we have not been there for several years, I do not know if they are still around or not.  There are also some in Blyth.  Hopefully, there will be no need of them, but sometimes to know is to prevent.  ;D

Daisy

Daisy said:
But there are also several clinics and/or doctors offices around.  Perhaps someone of the "older" crowd could seek them out for newbies, should the need arise, or just to know about them.  We've had excellent care in the past by Drs. O & P, but since we have not been there for several years, I do not know if they are still around or not. 

Daisy

Drs O & P were still there last winter, I too am a very satisfied patient and we always doublecheck to make sure that they are there ;)

Since we are usually there for only 2 weeks, we bring with most of what we will use during that period. Fresh staple and resupply was adequate at the "General Store", excellent butcher as well.

Wendy said:
Drs O & P ??

Wendy

Drs O & P are a married couple, both excellent doctors, who are Asian with names that stretch across half a line. Unpronouncable and unrememberable :'( . So those that have gone to them, and I believe that the sign at their clinic also, call them Drs O & P. Can't remember which is O and which is P ;D ;D

Attitude is the mpst importnt item in Q.  Realize you are in the desert, things move slow, espcially traffic on 95 north into town.  Have fun.  We spent 3 months there 2 years ago, we had a blast.

Dr. O is the husband and Dr. P is the wife.  We really liked and trusted both of them.  Dr. P. got me over a bladder infection (no pun intended) I was beginning to think I would take to my grave. ::)  If I remember correctly, I think they were from Thailand.  They also have a practice in Iowa, somewhere south of Iowa City. 

Margi

When your talking about Q, are you refering to the campgrounds that are open throught the winter months, like 7 mo for $140 total? Has anyone on here been to where I'm talking about?  I'm also new to RVing so how do you stay in a rv park that has minimal utilities? Do you have to leave every so often and get water, dump tanks and refill fuel?

We're talking about boondocking in the BLM areas outside Quartzsite. If you stay in a campground, you should have hookups and not have to worry about the boondockers "problems". But you'll have a lot more fun if you come out and boondock with The RV Forum gang !

Wendy

the 6 month stays are called the Long Term, it is just desert.  However with a longterm permit you have access to the dump station and to the water tanks.  There are also pumpout services like the Duck. 

I don't know whether there is propane delivery, when I was there I drove to one of the propane dealers and filled there. 

I was working so on a lot with fhu.

Back
Top Bottom