4.0 midsize vs 4.7 1/2 ton truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvmtb

I have a 09 Toyota Tacoma with the tow package. Tow capacity of this truck is 6500lbs. I just don?t see that happening since I have towed heavy loads with it, somewhere near 5000lbs. Yea, it pulled it but forget about getting up any hills with any speed.
My question is this. Would a 1/2ton truck with something smaller than a 5.0L be much better at pulling a 5000# load than the Taco?  I expect to get the simple answer of  ?heck yea?. But keep in mind that the Taco is a 4.0L and has 236hp with the torque of 266. I think the curb weight is about 4300lbs. Yea a 4.7 or 4.8L might be a bigger motor but wouldn?t the extra weight of the bigger truck kind of make up for the extra power the bigger motor can put out?  Maybe my question is if you had a ? ton truck with a 4.7 or 4.8 how much more weigh could you pull compared to a 4.0L midsize pickup. Then would I see a drastic difference in a 5.3L full size truck over a 4.0L Tacoma?

Unfortunately, it's hard to answer that.

Generally speaking, a V8, even with small will have more torque than a smaller V6, but depending on brand and model, that varies.  Another big difference when towing is the axle gear ratio.  Take two identical trucks except for the gear ratio.  The one with the higher gears (lower number), will be more accelerate faster with no trailer, but the one with the lower gears (higher number) will be much better at maintaining speeds uphill.

So when comparing trucks, you have to look at the whole package.

Best bet is to find the trailer you are looking for if you do not have it yet, look at the gross weight (GVWR) and then get a truck that can tow more than that leaving yourself a good margin.  Like you have already seen, you have a 6500lbs tow capacity, but you would not want to pull more than 5000lbs.

A V6 generally has to rev high to produce peak horsepower and torque. That is an undesirable attribute for towing, where you want good torque & horsepower at lower RPMs. That's why a larger displacement engine does a better job of towing, all other things being equal. But all other things are rarely equal, as Marc has explained. Horsepower to weight ratio is another factor (what you were getting at with truck weight differences), and numerous other parameters.

Stay away from the higher gears (lower numerically) they are for cruising empty on the highway and better mileage. The engine won't turn as many RPMs as a lower gear. The tradeoff with the lower gears is higher RPMs on the highway and loosing a little MPG when not towing. The upside is better acceleration (both empty and when towing) and the engine is turning more RPMs on the roads so it's making more power.

The other advantage going to a 1/2 ton truck is everything on it (axles, transmission, brakes) are heavier duty than on the "mini" truck.

Well, went out and bought a used F-150 tonight that should do the job better and safer. Did a bunch more research and checked all the numbers and this one looks like it will get the job done. Now I need to plan another camping trip test it out. Or maybe just go for a drive with it.

wvmtb said:
Now I need to plan another camping trip test it out. Or maybe just go for a drive with it.

A short drive is not a bad idea in case you need to tune the weight distribution hitch or brake controller if yours is adjustable. 

The TT is a 01 Flagstaff 27' Super Light (4300lbs dry). The TV is a 02 F-150 with the 5.4 and 3.55 gearing. It's not going to be a powerhouse going down the interstate but it will be a safer tow than the little 09 Tacoma(4.0L) is. It's only rated to haul 1500 more pounds than the Taco but it's a 1/2 ton truck.
Yea, I have a adjustable WD hitch. Once I get the brake controller added to the truck I'll probably take it for a short drive.

Back
Top Bottom